• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rose and Crown Pub beer blends?

Lizgistix

resorts fan
Hey DIS peeps! I have a lunch ressie booked at Rose and Crown next month and after looking at the drink menu, I'm feeling confused about all of these pub blends of 1/2 one beer, 1/2 of another beer (more or less, there are some other variations). Um, what's really good to drink there? I know nothing about the beers they offer. Any recommendations for someone who typically drinks major label American beers (light lagers) and really doesn't like IPAs? Should I just go with the sampler that has small versions of 4 kinds?

Thanks in advance!

First thing I'd do is get some Guinness back home and see if you like it. If you do, you can consider experimenting with a half/half of Guinness and something else. Guinness + Harp is popular as is Guinness + Bass. A friend of mine's favorite is Smithwick (a red amber), which is another one to try.

I like the recommendation of getting a Guinness at home and see if you like it. I am a fan of many types of beer, but I do like Smithwick's for UK beers.

The Golden's my favorite but during the last two weeks when we were there they were out of one of the beers and had to sub in smithwicks and it just wasn't the same.

A black and tan, properly served, will convince you that you need to immediately go out and buy a "pouring spoon" and a case of Guinness.

My own pouring spoon is a Brutal, in the shape of a turtle, and is designed to fit on top of a standard pub pint glass (which you'll also want to go out and buy!).

I'm thinking 'someone who typically drinks major label American beers (light lagers)' should stick to Harp, maybe shandy, snakebite? Golden possibly??

A Guinness fan, I don't drink mass-produced American beers, preferring craft and darker brews. Loved the cask ales we sampled on a recent trip to the UK.

I can not imagine someone who drinks major label light American beers which I assume to be Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light, would even begin to care for the taste of Guinness. Like at all. It’s a very dark beer and about as far away from a light mass produced American beer as one can get.

I agree with the Harp suggestion.

Personally, I drink Smithwicks there. DH likes Bass but we’d neither one touch American light beers even if they were the last drink left on the shelf. They are just flavorless

Last edited:
I can not imagine someone who drinks major label light American beers which I assume to be Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light, would even begin to care for the taste to Guinness. Like at all. It’s a very dark beer and about as far away from a light mass produced American beer as one can get.

I like trying new things. That's how I found out I don't like IPAs. Saw an interesting looking can, saw the IPA, saw "pale ale" and thought it would be like the lighter beers I've had.

....and that was my first mistake. :rotfl:

There are a few blonde ales and red ales from a local brewery that I enjoy as well. I like Newcastle a lot. Negro Modelo. Kirin. That one in Morocco named after the elephant. Just to give examples of other beers I've enjoyed.

I like trying new things. That's how I found out I don't like IPAs. Saw an interesting looking can, saw the IPA, saw "pale ale" and thought it would be like the lighter beers I've had.

....and that was my first mistake. :rotfl:

There are a few blonde ales and red ales from a local brewery that I enjoy as well. I like Newcastle a lot. Negro Modelo. Kirin. That one in Morocco named after the elephant. Just to give examples of other beers I've enjoyed.
If you like those you’ll probably like Bass or Smithwicks. When you order ask for a “smiticks” by the way, the th and w are sort of silent or all smooshed together when you say it.

I used to hate IPA too. But now I love the citrus ones. They were bitter when they first came in to popularity but now there are thousands of varieties. You may be surprised by some of you get a chance to try them again

Last edited:
I used to hate IPA too. But now I love the citrus ones. They were bitter when they first came in to popularity but now there are thousands of varieties. You may be surprised by some of you get a chance to try them again
Agreed. Fortunately, the hops wars have come to an end, and most IPAs that survived the craze are pretty good. I'm not sure the sours will end up that way, though.

Agreed. Fortunately, the hops wars have come to an end, and most IPAs that survived the craze are pretty good. I'm not sure the sours will end up that way, though.
I can’t say the same about sours that I do about IPA. They are just bad. I’ll be glad if they just go away

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter