Rope-dropping Rise: Adventureland vs. Fantasyland side

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I’ve learned from direct experience that if you plan to rope-drop Rise, it’s best to go through the castle and then off to the back left. This is because many of the early entry guests enter from there and they have a head start/lead on the rest of us. Once they get to Rise, the line begins to build towards the FL side. In fact, the last time I rope-dropped Rise about six weeks ago, I found that I was the first to the ride from the Adventureland side. However, from the moment I got there, the line built rapidly away from me. With each ten steps towards the end of it, it grew by at least as many people. In short, I’ve found that it’s best to approach the ride from the Fantasyland side – the back exit/entrance towards the bathrooms near Casey Jr.

Why do I mention this? Because yesterday I spoke with two out-of-town groups: one from Georgia, the other from South Carolina. I shared the benefit of my experience with them both. One heeded my advice, the other chose not to. As always, when I offer advice, I'm always sure to add “…but of course feel free to do as you think best.” For all I know, they could have spoken with other friends who advised them differently.

A few other notes from the park yesterday:

Although it was the second of the Candlelight Processional days (nights, really), crowds weren’t as heavy as I’d feared. In fact, at 11:30 the wait-time for Star Traders was still only ten minutes. I spoke with a number of people who wondered if most people were holding off coming to the park till later in the day to catch the CP. I did see a number of people rush to the benches at the head of Main Street to claim them for the CP later. I’d say that half of the available seating (i.e. not reserved) was claimed by about 7:21 – a minute after the park gates opened.

I met a fantastic couple from Hawaii yesterday. We rope-dropped Indiana Jones and I was the first one in line / on the ride. They sat immediately beside me and told me that it was their favorite ride. They're going to Tokyo DL in April and said that they'd send me some maps J. I've been to that park before but it was well before I did the map thing.

I ran into the nice Buzz family a total of five times throughout the day. The first time was when they called to me from the candy cane line. As many of you know, at this time of year candy canes are made by hand at Candy Palace and people line up the moment the park opens to get a reservation to buy one, since only a few hundred are made. I've included some pics of the line below. Watching the master candy-maker CMs make them is one of my favorite things to do at this time of year.

The last time I saw the family was when I was waiting to board the tram at the end of the day. They walked up and joined me. The kids are always a joy and they’re both very good at Buzz. Often I’ll give them one or two of my scores, if they haven’t already made the board. Sometimes I’ll do it and then send their mom a pic of the board if they’ve already moved over to DCA.

I return to Chicago for the holidays a week from tomorrow so next Sunday will be my last in the park until early next year L.

Work is being done on Astro Orbitor until sometime next year, as some of you may know.

That’s about it! I had to leave the park a bit early yesterday but plan to stay later next Sunday.

I have park maps for anyone who'd like a set. Simply DM me your address.

Pics:
IMG_7359.jpegIMG_7360.jpegIMG_7361.jpegIMG_7362.jpegIMG_7363.jpegIMG_7365.jpegIMG_7369.jpegIMG_7385.jpegIMG_7422.jpegIMG_7420.jpeg

Last edited:
We tried to rope drop (well, during early entry) Rise on Thursday, 11/30. Unfortunately, it was down. We started off at Astro Blasters and our group got 2, 4, and 6 as our scores, but that was because we were one of the first groups there with our measly 200K score, lol

We also got to the park early for candy canes. We entered the gates around 7:30 am. The candy cane line was to the walkway into Jolly Holiday and then looped back around tree in your 4th picture. We gave our names at 8:10 am but figured they would run out before getting to us. We were surprised to receive a text to return around 9:15. They said that they made around 200 canes, but it seemed like there were many more people than that in line.

There are often celebrities at Disneyland and, with the Candlelight Processional that night, we kept our eyes open. We were super fortunate to catch a glimpse of one of my favorite Disney celebs.

1701746302073.png

Last edited:

We also got to the park early for candy canes. We entered the gates around 7:30 am. The candy cane line was to the walkway into Jolly Holiday and then looped back around tree in your 4th picture. We gave our names at 8:10 am but figured they would run out before getting to us. We were surprised to receive a text to return around 9:15. They said that they made around 200 canes, but it seemed like there were many more people than that in line.

There are often celebrities at Disneyland and, with the Candlelight Processional that night, we kept our eyes open. We were super fortunate to catch a glimpse of one of my favorite Disney celebs.

View attachment 815647
Who is it?

I'll give you a hint.... I was on Astro Blasters and, as we entered the last room, I noticed that the person behind me had stopped shooting. I looked at his score and knew immediately who it was.
What is his score?? lol
I think the pic may look a lot clearer on your end than mine. ;)

I mean he looks like someone I know, but the person I know isn’t famous.

I experienced the exact same trying to rope drop RotR from the Adventureland side. Anytime anyone asks about tips for a visit to Disneyland, I make sure to tell them to approach from the FL side!

What is his score?? lol
I think the pic may look a lot clearer on your end than mine. ;)

I mean he looks like someone I know, but the person I know isn’t famous.
He is the DIS boards very own DLR Sunday photographer, map-mailer, teacher of all the best Buzz tips and tricks and our favorite Willie Wonka for DLR Halloween time!! He will smoke all of us on Buzz but generously shares his high scores with others on the leader board (scroll up-thread to see his actual scores for Sunday). Check the avatar for @WonkaKid to see if that helps!

He is the DIS boards very own DLR Sunday photographer, map-mailer, teacher of all the best Buzz tips and tricks and our favorite Willie Wonka for DLR Halloween time!! He will smoke all of us on Buzz but generously shares his high scores with others on the leader board (scroll up-thread to see his actual scores for Sunday). Check the avatar for @WonkaKid to see if that helps!
Nope, I still got nothing, I even zoomed in on the pic. lol
I guess i'm just out of the loop, & don't go to DLR as often as i think i do. ;)

Actually, many times people have told me that I resemble actor Mark Feuerstein. Sometimes people would even call out to me in the street. He’s been in a number of movies/TV shows. Here’s a pic in which I think I resemble him remarkably. The first time I showed this to a close friend she was surprised and said “Wow, you know Mel Gibson?!” ;-).
IMG_7442.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter