• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope Dropping or Closing the parks down?

Rope Drop or Close it Down?

• Rope Drop

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Close them down

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Both! My legs don't feel pain!

Votes: 45 46.9%

• Total voters

JakeAZ

DIS Veteran
I see so much talk on here about rope dropping. Personally, I hate rope dropping! haha

I understand the benefits, but getting everyone up super early and then making sure we get there well in advance of park opening, just to maybe get a jump on 2/3 rides, isn't my thing. I would always schedule my FP+ to start a little later in the day. Now with Genie, I know that plan will have to change some.

I would much rather close the parks down. IMO they are just more fun at night, especially when everything is all lit up.

I say both...BUT, here's the kicker: We go from rope drop til around noon. Then we head back to the room, chill for a few hours (maybe a pool break) and then head back around 5 PM and go til closing (talking MK here, mostly, but Epcot and DHS sometimes, too). You get low wait times on both ends that way!

I say both...BUT, here's the kicker: We go from rope drop til around noon. Then we head back to the room, chill for a few hours (maybe a pool break) and then head back around 5 PM and go til closing (talking MK here, mostly, but Epcot and DHS sometimes, too). You get low wait times on both ends that way!
this is exactly what we do. Pool time during the hottest part of the day and nobody is exhausted because we have built in rest time.

Used to, I would say rope drop or both. But with the upcoming change for 30 minutes early every day for resort guests, and as someone who has returned to staying offsite, I'll go with close the parks down. When morning EMH was only at one park each day off site guests could still get the benefit of rope drop at the non-EMH park. With all parks having the 30 minute early entry starting this fall, I expect that "rope drop" will no longer be a benefit for off site guests.

I am a rope drop person. I was the person who fell asleep in college parties at 10PM. It is an easy choice for me. haha

I say it really depends on your party. When I have my toddlers with me rope drop works best for us bc they wake up at 5 am 😳 we go back and rest and then tour again in the evening. I’m on a solo trip right now and I’ve been getting to the park just at opening or 10 minutes after and have had great luck. I didn’t have to stand in a crowd and fight my way back to a ride I just walked right on in and got in some pretty short lines. I’m also closing down the park with a couple hour break during the day.

This is exactly what we do too. The bonus is we get to enjoy the resort and skip the hottest and most crowded time of the day.

I say it really depends on your party. When I have my toddlers with me rope drop works best for us bc they wake up at 5 am 😳 we go back and rest and then tour again in the evening. I’m on a solo trip right now and I’ve been getting to the park just at opening or 10 minutes after and have had great luck. I didn’t have to stand in a crowd and fight my way back to a ride I just walked right on in and got in some pretty short lines. I’m also closing down the park with a couple hour break during the day.
This^^

Before kids my wife and I were rope drop to fireworks people at whatever park we went to. Never left the parks once we got in there and were often some of the last people to leave.

With kids it changed. We still rope drop as my kids are going to have me up at 6 AM anyways. But we usually leave well before closing. By about 6 or 7 my kids, and the grown ups, are exhausted. We've never left for naps on our 2 trips with kids, but this go round that might be a thing.

Used to, I would say rope drop or both. But with the upcoming change for 30 minutes early every day for resort guests, and as someone who has returned to staying offsite, I'll go with close the parks down. When morning EMH was only at one park each day off site guests could still get the benefit of rope drop at the non-EMH park. With all parks having the 30 minute early entry starting this fall, I expect that "rope drop" will no longer be a benefit for off site guests.
I agree.

I voted both but if I had to pick one I’d say close. Rope drop is best to get the top E tickets done quickly, but you gotta be one of the first people there to ensure that you get on rides like SDMT or SDD with no wait. That’s why I prefer park close. You can get so much done in the last hour it’s insane. Plus there’s just something magical to me about walking through empty streets of Frontier Land, Liberty Square or the World Showcase at park close.

Depends on who I am with. What I did the night and/or day before. Do I have a spa day booked. Do I have a tour booked. Just go with the flow and do some of both for us.

I do both, but I usually only go for short trips. If I only have one or two park days I want to get my ticket’s worth, so I’m in the parks as long as I can.

I see so much talk on here about rope dropping. Personally, I hate rope dropping! haha

I understand the benefits, but getting everyone up super early and then making sure we get there well in advance of park opening, just to maybe get a jump on 2/3 rides, isn't my thing. I would always schedule my FP+ to start a little later in the day. Now with Genie, I know that plan will have to change some.

I would much rather close the parks down. IMO they are just more fun at night, especially when everything is all lit up.

I vote for both. Middle of the day is for sleep.

rope drop till noon, then 7pm-close, for a solid 4-6 hours of touring during the best parts of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter