• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope Dropping Flight of Passage-What was your experience like?

Lydia S

Canadian
Like many have posted, we had a tough time getting fast passes for FOP, so we are planning on doing an RD on a forecasted 3 crowd level day (as per Touring Plans). We'll be there on a Tuesday, non-EMH day. I don't think I'll be getting my family up extra early, so we won't be first in line at the gates, and once they open, we can probably manage a brisk walk at best (since we'll have the kids with us).

For those of you that have rope dropped recently, how was the wait for FOP?

if it opens at 9, try to be there by 7:30. The later you arrive, the more of a hassle you will go through.

Our experience back in July, was not a pleasant one. We were one of the 1st waiting for the park gates to open. Once they opened, it was literally like a race to get near the Pandora section. People running, pushing, shoving, linking arms with family members and ramming people in the backs of their legs with strollers. It was obnoxious. We only ended up waiting about 20 mins or so even after being one of the 1st at the gate opening. Hundreds push ahead of you. The ride is okay....but not worth going through that.

As PPs mentioned, get there early. Last Sunday, 9/24, my husband and I got to AK around 9:02. We went straight for FOP, and the wait was already 120 mins. The CM manning the line said it could be more, could be less, but it was right at 2 hours that we were entering the first part of the "ride" experience.

Our experience back in July, was not a pleasant one. We were one of the 1st waiting for the park gates to open. Once they opened, it was literally like a race to get near the Pandora section. People running, pushing, shoving, linking arms with family members and ramming people in the backs of their legs with strollers. It was obnoxious. We only ended up waiting about 20 mins or so even after being one of the 1st at the gate opening. Hundreds push ahead of you. The ride is okay....but not worth going through that.

Obnoxious? No, part of the experience! Disney refers to this as "scene 1" of an attraction. :-)

Our plan is to wait until late afternoon or close to closing because it's supposed to be shorter at those times. We will see. I'm hoping we just get a FP and don't have to worry about it.

We had better luck going at 12 after we used our fp for Navi ...there was a stated 60 minute wait but it was more like 90 because of breakdowns. We also got to ride back to back since the film cut off right before the end and we were stuck in the ride for 5 minutes. It was awesome and worth the wait.

We had better luck going at 12 after we used our fp for Navi ...there was a stated 60 minute wait but it was more like 90 because of breakdowns. We also got to ride back to back since the film cut off right before the end and we were stuck in the ride for 5 minutes. It was awesome and worth the wait.

I've read so many posts about issues with this ride and breakdowns. I don't know if it's because it's new or something else, but I didn't expect that with it being so new.

I did FoP at RD twice last week and while my experience wasn't terrible (below), I would ask myself the following questions: do I like being smashed together with hundreds of other people in what feels like the starting gate of the NYC marathon where the goal of the race is to trample everyone in your path to "win" your objective of standing in yet another line? do I feel that personal space is overrated? what is the maximum population density you can achieve for a one square acre plot of land? how ruthless can people be when dealing with the old, the young, the weak and anyone silly enough not to be moving as fast as they are? is it better to go around or leap over that stroller that someone in front of you is foolishly trying to use as a moving blockade? just how claustrophobic am I? do I think that people yelling and screaming at their families and friends to hurry up is an entertaining part of the pre-show? to refresh myself for the ride, can I watch the entirety of the 2.5 hour Avatar movie while waiting in line (I'm going to start calling this the "Avatar" rule - if the wait in line is longer than the actual movie on which the ride is based, I will have to say no - I've also got my eye on you 7DMT)?

In all seriousness, most of the people at RD were anxious but not rude. Most. You'll see some very stressed and intense people, however, so go in knowing that it won't be the most pleasant experience. As for my two experiences:

Day 1: arrived at AK around 7:45 for a 9am park opening. Lines formed at the entry gates and a mass of people all the way back to security - most everyone there for Pandora. Gates opened at 8:15 and an orderly exodus towards Pandora (the speed, regulated somewhat by CMs, was about "hardcore mall walker" level - a few sprinters, but they all got stopped by some pretty vocal CMs as they got towards the front). Wait on the bridge to Pandora for 15 minutes - this was the worst part as the folks coming in later kept trying to surge towards the front - if you've stood close to the stage at a big concert, that's what this felt like. Pandora opens at 8:30 and the CMs funnel us into the line for FoP. I ended up about 25 yards from the official entry for the ride. Ride was up and running shortly thereafter and the line never stopped moving. I was inside the "cave" by 8:40 and in the pre-ride chamber by 8:45. Except for a technical glitch in the chamber, I would've been off the ride before 9 am. I got out at 9:10 and the posted wait time then was 110 minutes.

Day 2: arrived at AK around 8:20 for a 9am park opening. Both the gates and Pandora were already open, so I went through and got in line (this time hundreds of yards away from the ride's gate and closer to Africa than Pandora). On the one hand, I skipped the nastiness of the PPO crush to get in first; on the other hand, the wait was longer. The line moved in fits and starts. People complaining about line jumpers (although none that I actually saw - I suspect some people went and rode NRJ first before getting in line with their families/friends waiting for FoP). I got into the cave around 9:20 (posted wait time was 90 minutes) and was in the pre-ride chamber by 9:35 (more technical glitches - I'd have missed most of the pre-ride video if I hadn't done it earlier in the week). I was off the ride at 9:50.

Even though the wait on Day 2 was longer, I preferred it to the stress of Day 1. The "crowd psychology" of waiting at the gates and entrance to Pandora was worth trading for some extra time in line on Day 2. I still think doing FoP early morning is preferable to waiting hours at midday (the ride is not THAT good in my opinion), but I've taken note of the people who have suggested trying in the evening as a "better" experience.

We rope dropped at 9 am and at 8 am (EMH) in late August. We arrived around fairly early on both days (like 730 and 645). I didn't find any aspect of waiting to be that difficult. The most crowded part was in the holding area at the bridge for about 15 minutes but even there we had more than enough personal space. We were in the 2nd group to ride on the 8 am day and the 1st group on the 9 am day and were off the ride before official park opening both times. I don't think our total 'wait time' was more than 50 minutes. That being said, if you're not at rope drop at least 60 minutes before the official park opening, I would guess you're looking at a hefty wait (90 minutes).

I did FoP at RD twice last week and while my experience wasn't terrible (below), I would ask myself the following questions: do I like being smashed together with hundreds of other people in what feels like the starting gate of the NYC marathon where the goal of the race is to trample everyone in your path to "win" your objective of standing in yet another line? do I feel that personal space is overrated? what is the maximum population density you can achieve for a one square acre plot of land? how ruthless can people be when dealing with the old, the young, the weak and anyone silly enough not to be moving as fast as they are? is it better to go around or leap over that stroller that someone in front of you is foolishly trying to use as a moving blockade? just how claustrophobic am I? do I think that people yelling and screaming at their families and friends to hurry up is an entertaining part of the pre-show? to refresh myself for the ride, can I watch the entirety of the 2.5 hour Avatar movie while waiting in line (I'm going to start calling this the "Avatar" rule - if the wait in line is longer than the actual movie on which the ride is based, I will have to say no - I've also got my eye on you 7DMT)?

In all seriousness, most of the people at RD were anxious but not rude. Most. You'll see some very stressed and intense people, however, so go in knowing that it won't be the most pleasant experience. As for my two experiences:

Day 1: arrived at AK around 7:45 for a 9am park opening. Lines formed at the entry gates and a mass of people all the way back to security - most everyone there for Pandora. Gates opened at 8:15 and an orderly exodus towards Pandora (the speed, regulated somewhat by CMs, was about "hardcore mall walker" level - a few sprinters, but they all got stopped by some pretty vocal CMs as they got towards the front). Wait on the bridge to Pandora for 15 minutes - this was the worst part as the folks coming in later kept trying to surge towards the front - if you've stood close to the stage at a big concert, that's what this felt like. Pandora opens at 8:30 and the CMs funnel us into the line for FoP. I ended up about 25 yards from the official entry for the ride. Ride was up and running shortly thereafter and the line never stopped moving. I was inside the "cave" by 8:40 and in the pre-ride chamber by 8:45. Except for a technical glitch in the chamber, I would've been off the ride before 9 am. I got out at 9:10 and the posted wait time then was 110 minutes.

Day 2: arrived at AK around 8:20 for a 9am park opening. Both the gates and Pandora were already open, so I went through and got in line (this time hundreds of yards away from the ride's gate and closer to Africa than Pandora). On the one hand, I skipped the nastiness of the PPO crush to get in first; on the other hand, the wait was longer. The line moved in fits and starts. People complaining about line jumpers (although none that I actually saw - I suspect some people went and rode NRJ first before getting in line with their families/friends waiting for FoP). I got into the cave around 9:20 (posted wait time was 90 minutes) and was in the pre-ride chamber by 9:35 (more technical glitches - I'd have missed most of the pre-ride video if I hadn't done it earlier in the week). I was off the ride at 9:50.

Even though the wait on Day 2 was longer, I preferred it to the stress of Day 1. The "crowd psychology" of waiting at the gates and entrance to Pandora was worth trading for some extra time in line on Day 2. I still think doing FoP early morning is preferable to waiting hours at midday (the ride is not THAT good in my opinion), but I've taken note of the people who have suggested trying in the evening as a "better" experience.

Every post I see of yours is hilarious :rotfl::wave2:

Every post I see of yours is hilarious :rotfl::wave2:
Thanks - glad to bring some levity to the boards if I can! My earlier post was getting too long - otherwise I'd have included my post-ride moment at Dawa Bar on Day 1 when I wondered whether there might be a seedy black market operating in the Harambe District of AK where I could hire (for the right price) a couple of Kenyan sprinters to rope drop FoP for me and save my place in line. I dropped the idea when I couldn't figure out whether it was too outlandish or so practical that all the insiders possibly already do it anyway (which would give me no advantage).

One of the most helpful posts I have ever read... and you are funny. :)

Like many have posted, we had a tough time getting fast passes for FOP, so we are planning on doing an RD on a forecasted 3 crowd level day (as per Touring Plans). We'll be there on a Tuesday, non-EMH day. I don't think I'll be getting my family up extra early, so we won't be first in line at the gates, and once they open, we can probably manage a brisk walk at best (since we'll have the kids with us).

For those of you that have rope dropped recently, how was the wait for FOP?
How "recent"?

Here's how it went for us in June:
Park opening 8:00
Got on bus at All Star Music at 6:51am
Arrived at AK 7:10
Gate opened 7:12
Stopped at bridge 7:21
Opened land 7:38 and directly into queue
We were in the Lab (queue) 7:55
Caught up with FP line 8:00
Directly into sorting room, and off ride by 8:15

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter