Rope drop?

osu2k1

Disneyland Veteran
We've never been to the rope drop (at Disneyland) before and I keep hearing that people are major rope drop fans. What's the big deal? Is there something special about it or is it just being in the park right at opening? :confused3

If we were to go to it, which park is the best to go to (MK, is my guess)? What time should we get there, and if we are coming from POR , when should we leave? Thanks!!!

POR is relatively close, I would head out about an hour before park opening. They do have a small opening show and then they let you into the park. People are big fans, because the park doesn't get "busy" for an hour or two after opening. So you will have one or two hours to ride LOTS of rides, with little to no wait.

It's usually recommended that you hit the Fantasyland area, because later in the day that area is absolutely overrun with family's, and most rides will have decent wait times. But if you don't have small children Fantasyland may not be your area of choice. So go where you'll be happy and enjoy (almost) walking onto rides before the rest of the world wakes up. :thumbsup2

POR is relatively close, I would head out about an hour before park opening. They do have a small opening show and then they let you into the park. People are big fans, because the park doesn't get "busy" for an hour or two after opening. So you will have one or two hours to ride LOTS of rides, with little to no wait.

It's usually recommended that you hit the Fantasyland area, because later in the day that area is absolutely overrun with family's, and most rides will have decent wait times. But if you don't have small children Fantasyland may not be your area of choice. So go where you'll be happy and enjoy (almost) walking onto rides before the rest of the world wakes up. :thumbsup2

I agree with all of the above.

----------------------------------

Concerning "Rope Drop" in general-

Here's what's been happening in most of 2012:

Only MK still offers a Rope Drop SHOW along with an inside-the-gates holding area.
MK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early."
But, the Rope Drop show is timed so that guests will actually enter the PARK very near the actual opening time.

MK's Rope Drop Ceremony called "Magic Kingdom Welcome" (see location HERE.)

Guests are usually admitted starting about 15-20 minutes before
the posted opening time, to WAIT just inside the gates, in front of the train station (near the "flower Mickey face.")

The ceremony lasts 6-7 minutes or so and starts 6-7 minutes before the scheduled opening time.
There is also a "mini" version (far less "hoopla") that lasts about 2-3 minutes.
There is also an "AUDIO ONLY" version (no characters at all) that lasts under minute.
Which one you will see can be tough to guess.

----------------------------------

DAK no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW,
but still has a "rope" (guest holding area) at a location past the Oasis, near the Tree of Life.
DAK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early," but guests are held behind the rope
until about "straight-up" posted opening time.

Epcot no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW, AND no longer offers an inside-the-gates holding area.
Epcot gates (including the International Gateway) will likely open approx. 15 min. "early."

DHS no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW.
DHS Gates likely open approx. 15 min. "early."
(DHS has opened as much as 30 min. early, but that's not been the case every day.)

AM EMH entrance times seem to not be affected (figure entering 2-10 minutes before the AM EMH time, as usual.)
On AM EMH days, MK will offer some form of their Rope Drop Show
(may or may not be the "full show")
only for AM EMH guests,
and no show at all for the regular hours open time that morning.

As always, for better positioning in the crowds, arrive well before the posted opening time at all parks.

This last trip was the first time we went early to the parks (not there at rope drop but shortly after) and it was really worth it. Very few people in the park- literally walking onto rides. Most people sleep until whenever, then eat a leisurely breakfast and don't rush because they're on vacation. Totally legitimate- and the way we've done in the past. This trip, even with planning our days based on easywdw recommendations, when we had a slow morning and got to Epcot around 10:30 the standby wait for soarin was 70 minutes. After that we got up earlier every day. Our second day at Epcot we got there about 30 minutes after rope drop and the wait was only 20 minutes.
Honestly, I didn't think I'd be able to get my family to a park that early- dh works second shift, we homeschool and keep a later schedule more in line with dh's, and we change time zones going to FL. But we were able to and nobody revolted. :)

RD will give you couple hours of very light crowds. However, if you plan to watch fireworks at night, you will not last from RD till closing (difficult for most people),so you will need midday break. For us it is a deal breaker. Not only you waste a lot of time in transportation, you waste few hours in hotel away from parks and if you want to get the best out of this time like swimming and hotel activities, you really do not relax at all.
If you go during super busy time and number of rides matter to you, then do RD. If you are fine with fewer rides then go later. Notice that you can still do a lot arriving later, but you will need to use FP a lot to avoid longer lines. Now FPs last longer so you have very good chances to get them, therefore you will not stand in lines as well.
Both touring plans work for different people, try both and see what works better for you.:goodvibes

We've never been to the rope drop (at Disneyland) before and I keep hearing that people are major rope drop fans. What's the big deal? Is there something special about it or is it just being in the park right at opening? :confused3

If we were to go to it, which park is the best to go to (MK, is my guess)? What time should we get there, and if we are coming from POR , when should we leave? Thanks!!!

We are totally RD people! Our touring style is to hit the parks early, take a midday break and then head back refreshed until closing or when ever we are tired and ready to go back to our resort.

Going at RD allows you to tour with less crowds, less lines and more rides in AM than you would be able to do, say arriving at 11AM. Fastpasses are available in the AM and big rides have small lines.

We usually try arrive 30min prior to opening, and leave our resort 45-60 min prior to park opening depending on our resort location vs park location.

Taking a midday break is very important for us, we always take a nap/break/swim. It's a great way to recharge your self and enjoy your resort. I have never found the time it takes to get to and from the parks to be too big of a hassle or not worth it.

Thank you!! There are 2 nights where we will be out late, mvmcp and cp/illuminations. I think we will give it a shot at mk! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter