Rope Drop and Parking Rumour question

ChrisL186

Chris
Hi, could anybody shed some light on what rope drop actually means. I’ve read that if the stated time for the Magic Kingdom opens at 9am, they let people in from 8am. But does that mean you can ride the rides between 8 and 9. Or can you only get access to stores on Main Street as everything else is roped off, hence the phrase rope drop? My 2nd question is parking for fireworks in Magic Kingdom. On some nights we thought it would be nice to just go to the parks to watch the fireworks. But do you still have to pay $20 for parking if you enter the Magic Kingdom car park after 8pm, just to see the fireworks on Main Street?

Hi, could anybody shed some light on what rope drop actually means. I’ve read that if the stated time for the Magic Kingdom opens at 9am, they let people in from 8am.

1. But does that mean you can ride the rides between 8 and 9.

2. Or can you only get access to stores on Main Street as everything else is roped off, hence the phrase rope drop?

3. My 2nd question is parking for fireworks in Magic Kingdom. On some nights we thought it would be nice to just go to the parks to watch the fireworks. But do you still have to pay $20 for parking if you enter the Magic Kingdom car park after 8pm, just to see the fireworks on Main Street?
1. No

2. Yes

3. You still have to pay

One thing to note: you only have to pay for parking once per day. Just be sure to save your receipt.

For rope drop, they will let people onto Main Street from 8-9. There is a welcome show at the castle at 8:55 and physical ropes (plus CMs) hold you off at the land entrances. At 9, they remove the ropes and let people onto the rides.

For fireworks, yes, you would still need to pay for parking. There are anecdotal reports about people in the early morning arriving before they start manning the parking booths, so they aren't charged, but for evening, I would expect that yes, you will get charged. Remember, if you are staying on-site, parking at the theme parks is included.

Hi, could anybody shed some light on what rope drop actually means. I’ve read that if the stated time for the Magic Kingdom opens at 9am, they let people in from 8am. But does that mean you can ride the rides between 8 and 9. Or can you only get access to stores on Main Street as everything else is roped off, hence the phrase rope drop? My 2nd question is parking for fireworks in Magic Kingdom. On some nights we thought it would be nice to just go to the parks to watch the fireworks. But do you still have to pay $20 for parking if you enter the Magic Kingdom car park after 8pm, just to see the fireworks on Main Street?

For your first question it is the latter you describe. Main Street is basically open, but nothing else. The spokes to the "lands" are roped off and then there is a little show at the castle before people are allowed to proceed. Not everything on Main Street is open, but a few things are, and the Starbucks definitely is!

For parking, you only have to pay once per day, so if you've been to any other theme park that day then you are covered. If you haven't, theoretically you would have to pay, though I have heard that they don't always man the parking plaza's later in the evening, so you may be able to just go on through, but I wouldn't count on that.

Last edited:

There is a difference between rope drop and letting you into the park.
Most parks will let you into a specific part of the park before it opens. You can wonder around the shops, etc.
Rope drop is when you can enter the rest of the park and get on rides.
This gets complicated because opening times change based on expected crowds.
For instance, MK is supposed to open at 9. You show up at 8. Becasue of an expected large crowd that day, they open the park at 8. It seems like you got in early and got to ride rides early, really you got in at the opening time of the park.

I'm not saying it's a for sure, but several times when we've arrived closing to closing time, they've just been waving people through, no parking fee. Don't count on it, but it does happen.

You could get a dinner reservation at one of the monorail restaurants and park free - then take the monorail over to watch the fireworks (or watch from the restaurant - they are spectacular from California Grill)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter