Rooms at WL look old/worn out???

kandb

DIS Veteran
If free dining comes out, we might consider staying at WL. I just saw the pictures on the disney website and the resort and rooms look very old and worn down. I also saw they are doing a renovation starting this april. For anyone who has stayed recently, is the resort really in need of a rehab? Were you disappointed with the rooms/resort?

It's good that the WL is doing a refurb, but we stayed there last summer and honestly didn't have any complaints. There was nothing wrong with our room at all. Nothing was seriously worn out or anything. I'm sure it can vary based on the room, but really, we didn't notice anything bad!

If free dining comes out, we might consider staying at WL. I just saw the pictures on the disney website and the resort and rooms look very old and worn down. I also saw they are doing a renovation starting this april. For anyone who has stayed recently, is the resort really in need of a rehab? Were you disappointed with the rooms/resort?

We were there 2 nights in Dec 2011 as an add on to our BC stay. The rooms are small and dark, but there was nothing really wrong with them. I'm not sure I would like the rooms even if they were rehabed. The resort is beautiful, and there are a lot of things I liked about it. I just did not care for the rooms. If room size is important I'm not sure its worth the extra cost over a moderate. The rooms are about the same size as a moderate. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again for a night or two, but thats about it. I need more space.

i have been saying this forever..pretty resort, ugly rooms, so glad they are getting a refurb...maybe think of staying at akl? same price point and cuter rooms and a very impressive resort!

We were just there in Nov ... It certainly didn't seem "Run Down" to me ... :confused3
I think that generally speaking, those that end up being disappointed with the WL, dont care for the theming .... It's supposed to be kinda dark, rustic and woodsy. It' personally my favorite WDW resort. :thumbsup2

R%20(23).JPG

R%20(27).JPG

R%20(7).JPG

We were there 2 nights in Dec 2011 as an add on to our BC stay. The rooms are small and dark, but there was nothing really wrong with them. I'm not sure I would like the rooms even if they were rehabed. The resort is beautiful, and there are a lot of things I liked about it. I just did not care for the rooms. If room size is important I'm not sure its worth the extra cost over a moderate. The rooms are about the same size as a moderate. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again for a night or two, but thats about it. I need more space.

Agree--the rooms are dark and I guess fit the theme by being rustic feeling, but I don't like them. They feel dingy even though they are not at all. Love the location, love the views, love the pool, probably won't stay there again because don't like the rooms.

But other than my personal opinion of not liking them, our room did not appear to be in need of refurbishment when we were there 2 weeks ago. Everything was clean, not unusually worn, mattress was comfortable, no peeling walpaper or anything.

I thought the rooms were horrible. For us it was very disappointing. We wished we had stayed at AKL instead. While the lobby is amazing, and the outside area is lovely, the rooms were just such a disappointment. That theme can still have a dark/woodsy tone, without being ugly. Not only that, but the rug and linens were worn out. I can't wait to see what they do with this update, in our opinion it needed it - alot. However, the bathroom area was fine, which is always important.
Perhaps some of it had to do with the staff there - I didn't think they were all that great. But everyone has a different opinion!

When we were there it was three adults and one 17 year old (DW, my DM, DS big as an adult and me) and we loved it. Maybe it's a guy thing but, what does "it's too dark" mean? And for the people saying it's too small, what are you all doing in your room? As stated; it was four adult sized people and we had no issues with the size of the room.

DS usually stayed up in his bunk reading or on his computer, DW and DM sitting on each of their beds reading, and I was enjoying the balcony; for what little time we were in the room. Most of the trip were were enjoying the rest of the resort, if we weren't in a different part of WDW.

I believe everyone should go and experience any resort on their own and see if you like it or not. Otherwise you'll spend all of your vacations at home. Because I have read negative reports for all of the resorts we have stayed at so far. And while each resort has their own pluses and negatives; I have never left a WDW resort disappointed and would stay at any of them again.

If you didn't like the looks of the room on the Disney website, don't book there. The pictures on the website would be of the most pristine, perfect rooms there are. You definitely could not get a room that would look better than what you see on Disney's website.

Just got back from WL a week ago. Love the resort, love the lobby and the pool but the rooms have seen better days. We stayed club level in a Honeymoon suite and were a bit disappointed in our room. The king size bed was pretty uncomfortable and lumpy. Tossed and turned all night. I think the problem is all the dark wood in the rooms. If they could lighten it up a bit, it wouldn't seem so somber and uninviting. Just my opinion...

Jim

We stayed there in October and definitely were not impressed by the room. It's small compared to other deluxes, it's dark (and ours had the solid-wall, dormer balcony that blocked out even more light), and the room just felt a bit dated. Not shabby or dirty or anything, just showing its age a bit.

That said, we just booked another trip for this November, so apparently the look of the room doesn't matter as much as we thought it did. :lmao: It's a wonderful resort, beautifully themed, with much to see & do. :thumbsup2

WL is by no means in bad shape. I think the refurb will be nice, but if you go now, it's not falling apart or anything. The rooms are smaller, but honestly, I thought our room in the Sago Cay building at GF was much more "used" looking. We didn't have screws falling out of our door at WL, but we did at the much more expensive GF. If you don't like the woodsy/lodge aesthetic and want something more posh, then yes, you'll be disappointed. However, we love WL and are taking our 3 trip there next month. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes...like my dh who adores WL but thinks GF is too frilly and precious. :confused3

True, the rooms at WL and AKL are smaller then the other deluxe, and that's why they also cost less :rolleyes:

I think AKL & WL rooms are around 344 sq ft vs 312 sq ft at moderate, but the Deluxe also has an enrty hall, closet, nicer bathroom, and more storage areas, with drawers also above the fridge too. Not to mention a balcony and inside hall, so everyone passing your room isn't looking in!

We love WL. With the drapes open, I don't think the room is dark at all :laughing: Our room was in good condition. We were there a few weeks ago. Not at all worn out. I'll admit the decor is starting to look a bit dated, and am excited to see what they do with the new room decor.

The Wl staff is great too.

I've been really impressed by the new rooms at POR & FQ.

We were just there in Nov ... It certainly didn't seem "Run Down" to me ... :confused3
I think that generally speaking, those that end up being disappointed with the WL, dont care for the theming .... It's supposed to be kinda dark, rustic and woodsy. It' personally my favorite WDW resort. :thumbsup2

It's supposed to be rustic....dark, flicker lamps...it adds to the nostaglia of the mountain lodges...if you want bright, white airy decor, go elsewhere..

We were just there this past January and then last September and 10+ trips before that...it's our favorite resort.....run down rooms, never seen one yet...everything has been perfect and we've been in alot of different rooms on different floors.....don't know what people expect.....

We've stayed at AKL and couldn't wait to get out of there....it was a split stay once with the Poly, (Poly didn't have all the nights we wanted so tried the split stay, first and last of those, with AKL first)...it's location dealing with the logistics with the whole WDW didn't appeal to us....how the resort was layed out was terrible depending on room location and as for animals from our Savannah view room, 2 or 3 for the 3 nights.....food offerings were not to our liking and the staff were unfriendly and cold....been there done that...and won't go back..

WL, on the lakes, fresh air from the water blowing in, boat ride to the MK and easy access to the monorail system via a boat to the CR....plus FW by boat...very realistic, themed well, compact with less day visitors, under one roof....well appointed rooms and housekeeping being the best we've ever had......always use Disney transportation and very few issues in all our trips...for us...it's the ideal vacation resort at a decent price (for a deluxe)..

DH, DS (adult) and I were at WL in September and thought the space was perfect. Our room was not run down in the least. I get the whole "dark" thing, but I knew that going in. It didn't effect our stay and we generally loved everything about our resort--including the friendliness of the CMs (except at Roaring Forks). I'm with others who think you might be happier somewhere else if the pictures on the Disney site don't appeal to you. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

I just got back yesterday. We loved the resort. It is warm and welcoming. Our room was in very good repair. I didn't really like the look of the bedspread but certainly not a reason to dislike this well themed beautiful resort.

Renee

To describe the rooms at WL as "horrible" or "ugly" seems to be a bit of an overstatement. I can certainly understand that people have resort preferences and favorites but I find these polarizing statements to be over the top. I like some resorts more Han others. It is more helpful to describe the aspects you like or don't like in a resort.

We stayed there in 2010 (I know it's been about 2 years since our stay) and had a room overlooking the pool that was not at all worn down or dingy. It does have a cabin look and feel to it, but everything seemed fairly new and clean. My wife, nephew, and I loved our stay there.

Hi we stayed at the WL for 1 night 2 years ago! The resort is gorgeous the room was well below par, so much so I wanted to be moved. The moved us to the Yacht Club and it was spectacular! Here are pictures of the bedding at the WL. Not my cup of tea.

1094-2.jpg

1093-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter