• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Steward Question

polyqueen

Mouseketeer
We got off the Dream last Tuesday (a Very Merrytime Cruise). Had a cabin on Deck 5; we're usually Deck 9 or 10, but booked very late and had a chance to try an extended balcony. While we probably won't do that again, I did have a question about about room stewards, their experience, tenure, etc. Our steward was just okay--had to be reminded about soap and shampoo, etc. What troubled me the most was that the toilet flusher (rectangle) had grime on the top; it was actually gray instead of white. I left a note on the first day, but then ended cleaning it myself with a Clorox wipe. Are stewards with less experience/lower ratings given the lower decks? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks for any replies!

We got off the Dream last Tuesday (a Very Merrytime Cruise). Had a cabin on Deck 5; we're usually Deck 9 or 10, but booked very late and had a chance to try an extended balcony. While we probably won't do that again, I did have a question about about room stewards, their experience, tenure, etc. Our steward was just okay--had to be reminded about soap and shampoo, etc. What troubled me the most was that the toilet flusher (rectangle) had grime on the top; it was actually gray instead of white. I left a note on the first day, but then ended cleaning it myself with a Clorox wipe. Are stewards with less experience/lower ratings given the lower decks? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks for any replies!

The length of employment does not come into play as far as I have experienced. For example, on one of our first cruises we met Tony who had been with the company for 5 years (at the time) he was on Deck 6. The next time we saw him he was on Deck 9, a few months later he was on Deck 10. A year went by and we saw him again on Deck 9, then 3 months after that we saw him again but he was on Deck 2. I think it has more to do with when they come back from contract and what location on the ship is open for them. Some cabin hosts are amazing and get it done with just one request. Sometimes, we had to ask twice, but it always gets done and done well.

Had a few bad ones on my 20 DCL cruises. But most of them are great workers. They have a lot to do. 15 staterooms twice a day. They are in the halls about 10 hours a day that means about 40 minutes per stateroom a day. But they have to make towel animals. Get people to sign that you got your stateroom gift. Take people laundry. Get ice for people. Talk to people, etc. So actual cleaning your room is probably some where around 30 minutes a day. There’s around 280 stateroom hosts working for Disney cruise line. Not counting the ones on vacation. So there is going to be some bad ones.
One guy I had he was very bad but he kept apologizing how bad he was.he was very nice. I lied on the survey and gave him all top grades. Which I shouldn’t of done. Helps the person out of course but it’s not helping out future cruisers that will get the person.

Last edited:

In December on our 4 day Dream cruise we say ours all the time. Our grand daughter asked him to make a bunny on the towel animals and he made sure it happened. We always met him in the hallway and he called me Mr. Gary. Talked to him about getting a promotion, he said no way, he was happy doing his job, didn't want to be responsible for anyone but himself, his name was Gee.

Our best stateroom host was on deck 6, standard inside room. Our friends were on deck 2 and loved theirs as well. I don't think it has anything to do with deck or room type, unless you get into concierge of course.

If anything, it would likely be related to category, but you can have an 11A on the same deck as a 4A, so putting more experienced stewards on higher decks doesn't seem likely to me.

Best we had was on Deck 2 Wonder, our first cruise. On our next cruise, also on the Wonder, he was up on Deck 5 — we were on Deck 2 once again and had our second best room steward. Our third cruise, on the Magic, Deck 7, had our third favorite steward. She was nice but we did not bond with her like we did with the first two.

Deck doesn't matter. As far as toiletries being replaced they will usually wait until they see it's empty or you have to ask. You will rarely have a host that replaces it daily.

Thanks for all your replies and insights. I guess my real issue was with the less than clean toilet flusher!

I thought that might be the case, too. Our first DCL cruise we were on deck 2. Our stateroom host was okay, but nothing really special. The next cruise, we were on deck 6 and our host was AWESOME! We did see our first host during that cruise, and he was actually doing the towel animal demonstration and was still kinda blah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter