Room or package payment with gift card(s)??

markpenske

Mouseketeer
Can I used a Disney gift card (or multiple gift cards) to pay for a room reservation (or package)?
Thanks in advance.

That's interesting. A local store is selling Disney gift cards at 5% off. If I purchase these cards with my Disney Visa card I will get % back.

I've used gift cards to pay for tickets but not the entire trip. If you want to use gift cards go to the website (it's on the card) and combine them, think up to 5 cards with 1,000 on each card per login. If your trip is cancelled the money goes back on the gift card so if you register your card on the website you are less likely to lose the money. The money can be transferred to new/another card if you misplace the original gift card.

if we need to cancel I'm sure we will reschedule at some point.
With the prices they are charging now every dollar counts

We pay for everything with gift cards - room, APs, food, souvenirs, etc. The 5% I save oon the gift cards with the Target Red Card adds up to several hundreds of dollars a trip. If we happen to cancel (or get cancelled as happened repeatedly during the closure), we know we'll always reschedule, so not really an issue for us. I always hold off on making the final payments until I know for sure we'll be able to go for that reason.

Do the Disney gift cards expire? or do they carry an annual fee?

They do not expire. But be very careful. People put thousands (like tens of thousands) of dollars on gift cards for now-cancelled Disney cruises and are now stuck with it.

You should consider doing a room only reservation, that you only pay the first night for via credit card. Then a few days prior to leaving for the vacation, get gift cards to pay the rest off at once, using your credit card to buy the GCs...

Can I used a Disney gift card (or multiple gift cards) to pay for a room reservation (or package)?
Thanks in advance.
Yes you can and as others have mentioned, do make sure you hang out the cards you use to pay for your trip just in case. We got a resort credit for our recent stay and I accidentally trashed one of the four cards I used. I still got my credit but I had to wait a few days for an electronic Disney GC. Also in the past, we’ve always paid for our trips this way with multiple gift cards however the online system was down and I had to call. Not a big hassle but it’s an automatic payment system by phone. Hope they’ve fixed that. We consolidate our cards on the manage the gc website and while we’re in the parks I keep a few with just a few hundred dollars on them. I don’t carry one card with the max of $1000 in case we lose it.

We pay for everything with gift cards - room, APs, food, souvenirs, etc. The 5% I save oon the gift cards with the Target Red Card adds up to several hundreds of dollars a trip. If we happen to cancel (or get cancelled as happened repeatedly during the closure), we know we'll always reschedule, so not really an issue for us. I always hold off on making the final payments until I know for sure we'll be able to go for that reason.
How do you save 5% at Target? I was looking at Target and they sell Disney gift cards but no savings.
I saw BJ's wholesale currently has 5% off Disney gift cards (for members) but this expires on 9/5/20

How do you save 5% at Target? I was looking at Target and they sell Disney gift cards but no savings.
I saw BJ's wholesale currently has 5% off Disney gift cards (for members) but this expires on 9/5/20
When you use the Target Debit Card that is linked to your regular debit card, you automatically save 5% on Target purchases. Sam’s Club also sells discounted Disney gift card, so that’s another option.

You need a Target cc or debit card to get 5% off. When you check out and use your Target card to pay (which you must use to get the discount), it will automatically calculate/take off 5%.

The target red card savings is great. Depending on how many gift cards you buy the savings add up. Do be aware that when you purchase a lot of gift cards, many times the cashiers may have to split transactions. It’s not the most fun way to spend a day but we usually save about $250-300 per trip since we use it for our entire stay to cover food and souvenirs.

Target card.
Also BJ's has 5% often.
But again in the long run $250 on $5,000 is not worth it at least in my opinion unless you do it once you know that the trip is an absolute.
Even if you think oh well I'll go some other time its still nice to have money in the bank rather than invested in gift cards.

Last edited:
First, I only use the Target "debit" Redcard because I do not want to use a credit card to charge GC's.
We go to WDW regularly and buy the discounted GC's throughout the year, so by the time our trip comes we can, pay or almost pay, for everything using the GC's, including the room deposit. We also use the disneygiftcard site to combine them so (if needed) the money can be refunded back to that card number even if I do not physically have the card and it's a lot easier then having a bunch of $100 GCs to worry about. I do this because I know I will not have thousands of dollars sitting in my bank account to buy GCs for a trip right before we go. Plus, Target rarely has that many GCs in stock. To me, the savings is worth it, but I also know that there is a 99.9% that I will use the GCs.
OP - I combine the GCs so when I call into WDW or our TA to make payments and payoff the room balance, it's a LOT easier to give them a couple of card numbers than a bunch of card numbers. I then use the rest of the GCs during our trip, by stopping at the desk every few days to payoff our room charges and then finally the night before checkout.

Last edited:
First, I only use the Target "debit" Redcard because I do not want to use a credit card to charge GC's.
We go to WDW regularly and buy the discounted GC's throughout the year, so by the time our trip comes we can, pay or almost pay, for everything using the GC's, including the room deposit. We also use the disneygiftcard site to combine them so (if needed) the money can be refunded back to that card number even if I do not physically have the card and it's a lot easier then having a bunch of $100 GCs to worry about. I do this because I know I will not have thousands of dollars sitting in my bank account to buy GCs for a trip right before we go. Plus, Target rarely has that many GCs in stock. To me, the savings is worth it, but I also know that there is a 99.9% that I will use the GCs.
OP - I combine the GCs so when I call into WDW or our TA to make payments and payoff the room balance, it's a LOT easier to give them a couple of card numbers than a bunch of card numbers. I then use the rest of the GCs during our trip, by stopping at the desk every few days to payoff our room charges and then finally the night before checkout.

I do the exact same thing! I pay for the entire trip with gift cards! Even when our May trip was cancelled I had the cards and Disney put the money right back on them and then I used them to book our Sept trip! 5% doesn't sound like much but with a family of 5 it adds up fast! And I don't feel guilty about my splurges on the trip!

I think the best part of using the gift cards on our trips is not just to pay for our room and tickets and save 5%, but it makes our trip feel all inclusive. It’s nice knowing we’ve already “bought” our food and gifts in advance and don’t have to get cash out before we travel. As cashless as WDW is right now, it’s easy enough to pay with a GC. My only negative is I wish MDE would memorize your gc number for mobile order or at-least have a scan feature so the app can quickly take a pic of your gc. As prevalent as mobile order is, it’s a minor hassle to have to repeatedly enter your GC number. Not sure why the app can’t verify funds are in the gc and let you save it for payment.

We put our deposit for our reservation on a regular credit cart, but wanted to pay the balance with gift cards. I can't find an option to do that. I did see the option to pay the deposit with a gift card but didn't choose it then. Can anyone help me out?

In case anyone is near a Meijer they are having their 5.00 MPerk for every 50.00 in gift cards. I just got 50.00 off my groceries for buying a 500.00 gc plus will get money back on my credit card for my grocery store purchase

Attachments

• 677FBAF3-7D08-4011-86A8-F69D69B0DC8C.png
    677FBAF3-7D08-4011-86A8-F69D69B0DC8C.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter