• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Romantic Trip..Tips/Suggestions??

drj898

Mouseketeer
My girlfriend and I are both in our 20's, and we'll be at WDW for a week in July. Her birthday is then, and I'm surprising her...she has NO idea yet. The last time I was there was 2004, and she hasn't been there since she was like 10. I just want some tips and suggestions and stuff..I'd really appreciate it. Here's the plan so far:
We'll stay in either BWI or BC. 6 nights.
Day 1) We'll arrive, relax, and head to DTD for dinner at Paradiso 37.
Day 2). Character breakfast at Cape May, then DHS during the day, Dinner at Mama Melrose with Fantasmic.
Day 3). (her birthday). In-room surprise breakfast, Epcot all day, Dinner at Il Mulino @ Swan, Illuminations at night.
Day 4). MK all day, dinner at one of the Sig. Restaurants at a MK resort...probably Cali Grill. Wishes either from there, or on Main St. Right after dinner.
Day 5). Either Epcot or DHS again. Dinner either Coral Reef, 50's Primetime, or Yachtsman Steakhouse.
Day 6). Character breakfast at Tusker House before our day at AK. We won't miss expedition everest or Kilimanjaro Safari...don't worry lol. I made an ADR for dinner at Boma at AKL. She's a semi picky eater so I figured a buffet would be a better bet than Jiko.
Day 7). Departure day no plans yet....any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long thread post. I was just snooping around and saw how willing you guys are on here to help and answer questions so I figured lemme ask! A couple things though....first off...I'm gonna propose. I have a few ideas but not set on any yet.
Second....I realize its gonna be hot and crowded 7/7-7/13. So I'm gonna get to parks at opening, disappear after lunch, utilize fastpasses, and park hop. If anyone has any "must-do" lists, pllleeeasssee share!!!
Thanks so much!!

Back to first page for you.Hoping a Dis romantic can help you. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Congrats on a romantic trip! I find everything about Disney to be romantic if I am there with my fiance. Sounds like you have really thought about a lot of stuff. If my fiance was trying to surprise me, I would love a bouquet from the Disney florists, with some cute Mickey things in the basket. I would also love him to take me into a store and tell me I could get anything I wanted (That's romantic to me, I guess!) One thing I am planning for my upcoming Disneymoon is to spend one day at the hotel, swimming and then doing in-room dining. If you are staying somewhere where this is a possibility, I would consider it.

Also, think about getting the photopass. On our last trip, we had the best time getting every pic we could think of. I even did some surprise pics when my fiance went to the bathroom.

Finally, I was blown away when my fiance once snuck out of our room one morning to bring me mickey waffles in bed. I loved it!

Have a great stay!

Well....I was proposed to in AK overlooking The Discovery River and across from the Tree of Life after three failed attempts (too crowded at Wishes and Ghirardellis, I'm afraid of heights so Cali Grill terrace was out).

A LOT of people do it in front of the Castle and you can enlist a CM to help.

A friend of mine was in the Rose Garden, another friend at the Wishing well.

Several people have done this IN the Castle, complete with a glass slipper.

We were staying at the Beach Club the weekend we got engaged, the whole day was Magical!

Get a hold of Franck's if you want to, they have Engagement Packages (I think) or you can enlist CM's on the spot.

Think about the Honeymoon Registry that Disney has...we did that and it worked out great!

Congrats!

July is a really hot month in Orlando. You have a lot of big breakfast planned, which while all are lovely this could cut into your park time during the cooler morning hours. I personally would either plan either the latest breakfast seating (making it more brunch) or grab a quick breakfast and head back for an afternoon snack lunch poolside.

The parks are crowded in the afternoon and there in nothing romantic being hot and crowded next to other sweaty people.

The other great thing about summer is the park is open late many evenings so you may want to plan a day where you enjoy the parks in the evening when the sun goes down.

Taking my DBF to WDW for the first time in November...

Some special things we're doing -

Tickets to La Nouba (the Cirque show in DTD).
Dinner at Artist Point and Bistro de Paris - both signatures but we'll be on the DxDP
A mini-Disney cake (since it'll be my 30th birthday down there and he's also turning 30 this year)
At least 1 night of relaxing back at our hotel

Mostly we're just excited to make memories together

My fiance proposed in front of the castle by the topiaries after Wishes when people had cleared out and the photographers were just standing around. It was great because we didn't feel too rushed since there wasn't a line waiting for the photographer.

Here's a tip... DO IT EARLY in the trip. We had the most amazing time wearing Just Engaged pins and showing off the ring. We got congratulatory desserts and just random congratulations by CMs. It made the trip even more amazing. Maybe you can have one of the characters (her favorite?) help you at the breakfast? I don't know if they do that. Otherwise, California Grill would be beautiful and romantic for the proposal. Maybe the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party during Wishes would be awesome too.

As a side note, I would get all your dining reservations ironed out now. That's a busy time of year to go and you don't want to be turned away.

Tell us how it goes! I want pictures :)

Day 2). Character breakfast at Cape May, then DHS during the day, Dinner at Mama Melrose with Fantasmic.
Day 3). (her birthday). In-room surprise breakfast, Epcot all day, Dinner at Il Mulino @ Swan, Illuminations at night.
Day 4). MK all day, dinner at one of the Sig. Restaurants at a MK resort...probably Cali Grill. Wishes either from there, or on Main St. Right after dinner. If you havent booked this yet do it NOW. It is REALLY hard to get into during wishes time!
Day 5). Either Epcot or DHS again. Dinner either Coral Reef, 50's Primetime, or Yachtsman Steakhouse. 50's is fun. If you want romantic go for the other 2 options.
Day 6). Character breakfast at Tusker House before our day at AK. We won't miss expedition everest or Kilimanjaro Safari...don't worry lol. I made an ADR for dinner at Boma at AKL. She's a semi picky eater so I figured a buffet would be a better bet than Jiko.
Sorry for the long thread post. I was just snooping around and saw how willing you guys are on here to help and answer questions so I figured lemme ask! A couple things though....first off...I'm gonna propose. I have a few ideas but not set on any yet.
Second....I realize its gonna be hot and crowded 7/7-7/13. So I'm gonna get to parks at opening, disappear after lunch, utilize fastpasses, and park hop. If anyone has any "must-do" lists, pllleeeasssee share!!!
Thanks so much!!

Dh and I honeymooned at WDW. It is a great place for romance! If you plan it right (and get a CM involved) you can get pics of the proposal in front of the castle. I might also do the "during wishes" proposal maybe from Poly beach? Or if you want to be alone, why not take a carriage ride and do it there? So many options!

Get photopass. You will love having so many pics of you two together. And they have "just engaged" buttons and wedding ears.

I just thought of something I would have loved if dh proposed to me at WDW.....if she is a bit silly, maybe give her a pair of bride ears and see her reaction. When she seems confused do the whole one knee thing. :bride:

July is a really hot month in Orlando. You have a lot of big breakfast planned, which while all are lovely this could cut into your park time during the cooler morning hours. I personally would either plan either the latest breakfast seating (making it more brunch) or grab a quick breakfast and head back for an afternoon snack lunch poolside.

The parks are crowded in the afternoon and there in nothing romantic being hot and crowded next to other sweaty people.

The other great thing about summer is the park is open late many evenings so you may want to plan a day where you enjoy the parks in the evening when the sun goes down.

No, no I know that..thank you. That's why we're going to have breakfast before the parks open and then being at the gates when the ropes drop. Then going when the heat and crowds come after Noon. Then returning for dinner and illuminations/wishes and rides and stuff.

Not sure if you'll have time, but a horse and carriage ride would be very romantic. Especially AFTER you've proposed. Go to Port Orleans French Quarter Resort for that. We stayed there a few years ago and the grounds are so much like New Orleans! Have a great trip!!

Here's a tip... DO IT EARLY in the trip. We had the most amazing time wearing Just Engaged pins and showing off the ring. We got congratulatory desserts and just random congratulations by CMs. It made the trip even more amazing. Maybe you can have one of the characters (her favorite?) help you at the breakfast? I don't know if they do that.
Tell us how it goes! I want pictures :)

I agree totally! Earlier the better! Maybe not the first night, but by the 2nd days' end! And We want the whole story!

popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

Everyone has given great advice.

Only thing I wanted to add it that you should just make sure you take time to stop and smell the roses (so to speak). When I went with my boyfriend for the first time (it was HIS first time to Disney and my 20th or something) it was very different than going with my family. He's a much more laid back personality and while nice meals are a nice "romantic" thing to do...some of my favorite memories were things like stopping to sit on a bench and share a hot fudge Sunday, or watching Spectromagic together. He's not a Disney freak like I am...but he says his favorite memories are the same sorts of things where we just spent time together, walking hand in hand, through the parks. Rides are fun (I wouldn't go to Disney without doing them) but it was really cool to go on a trip there and just soak up the atmosphere and enjoy each other's company in my favorite place in the whole world.

And ditto to what a PP said...make sure you make those dining reservations ASAP as a lot of them book up 3-6 months in advance and it looks like you have chosen some popular ones. For my money...Coral Reef was my favorite of the three you weren't sure about and is the most romantic. Yachtmen Steakhouse was really crowded and the tables are close together and 50s is fun if you are in the right mood but if you are not for whatever reason it doesn't have a lot to offer. Coral Reef was so pretty and the booths were nice and secluded and you have a great view of the tank from any table. Food was yummy too...my favorite dessert of the whole trip last time.

Have a fabulous time!

I second the advice about taking the time to just BE there together. We had our honeymoon in the World in September, and some of my favorite memories are the times when we found a spot to sit and just soak it in. Take the time to point out little details the rushing crowds don't notice. Take silly pictures of each other. We took a lot of those "hold the camera at arm's length and take a self portrait" pictures, and I LOVE them, because they show us together and smiling and obviously having a wonderful time in love with each other.

We also really enjoyed wandering some of the resorts. We made sure to take the boats sometimes. In fact, we went to Wilderness Lodge to take the boat to Ft. wilderness for the Hoop De Doo and it was my favorite night of the trip. Maybe it says more about me than the show, but I found the Hoop really romantic, because we laughed and ate and had so much fun together, and to me, that's more romantic than the fancy stuff.

Just do whatever you will enjoy doing together, whether or not it's traditionally romantic!

My DH and I honeymooned there in April! It's beautiful.

I think a proposal during Wishes would be magical! "I wish to spend the rest of my life with you," kinda thing. Awww.... :love:

I'm a bit biased because Yachtman made my DH sick... He ate the tartare from the chacuterie board and was vomitting the next morning. Made us miss our Tusker Breakfast. He rescheduled for a Tusker Lunch though while I was showering. ^_^ So I would say Coral Reef... but that's just me. If you do go, the Filet Mignon was delicious! Everything else, not so much. But I'm a picky eater.

I really recommend buying the photopass ahead of time (you can save about $50 doing it that way) and that way you'll have pictures with both of you in the frame. If you tell the photographer you've already bought the CD, they'll take tons of pics for you (at least, that was our experience.)

After you determine when you'll propse, note it on reservations. DH and I got a few wine and champagne toasts and a dessert. :goodvibes Note her birthday, get her a birthday button. After you propose, get a "Engaged" button. Something she could do (and I did) is if she wants to wear the headband ears, put the pins on the ears. It's easier to notice. :goodvibes I got tons of congratulations.

Have you YouTubed Disney proposals? One person got PUSH in on a proposal. It was really cute.

La Nouba was AMAZING. Certainly worth the money. Raglan Road is delicious. Shopping is fun in DTD. Kouzzina is really good at the Boardwalk, we ate there for breakfast and dinner. We watched a street magician while we waited for our ADR time. Walking around the Boardwalk was nice...

Take the boats any time you can. Sitting next to eachother with the breeze is nice.

Enjoy it and be flexible! Life does happen and you have to not let it ruin a magical time!

No, no I know that..thank you. That's why we're going to have breakfast before the parks open and then being at the gates when the ropes drop. Then going when the heat and crowds come after Noon. Then returning for dinner and illuminations/wishes and rides and stuff.
I still think you are trying to cram way too much in. The parks open early. In the summer and being at breakfast (dressed and ready at the bus stop by 6:30) the hitting rope drop then a late night of fireworks (10pm) so then back at the resort probably close to midnight by the time you get back sounds like it leaves little time to just enjoy being together and rather like military boot camp. Plan a few rope drops, but also plan a few sleep in, lounge poolside then a late evening at the park

My DH and I honeymooned there in April! It's beautiful.

I think a proposal during Wishes would be magical! "I wish to spend the rest of my life with you," kinda thing. Awww.... :love:

I'm a bit biased because Yachtman made my DH sick... He ate the tartare from the chacuterie board and was vomitting the next morning. Made us miss our Tusker Breakfast. He rescheduled for a Tusker Lunch though while I was showering. ^_^ So I would say Coral Reef... but that's just me. If you do go, the Filet Mignon was delicious! Everything else, not so much. But I'm a picky eater.

I really recommend buying the photopass ahead of time (you can save about $50 doing it that way) and that way you'll have pictures with both of you in the frame. If you tell the photographer you've already bought the CD, they'll take tons of pics for you (at least, that was our experience.)

After you determine when you'll propse, note it on reservations. DH and I got a few wine and champagne toasts and a dessert. :goodvibes Note her birthday, get her a birthday button. After you propose, get a "Engaged" button. Something she could do (and I did) is if she wants to wear the headband ears, put the pins on the ears. It's easier to notice. :goodvibes I got tons of congratulations.

Have you YouTubed Disney proposals? One person got PUSH in on a proposal. It was really cute.

La Nouba was AMAZING. Certainly worth the money. Raglan Road is delicious. Shopping is fun in DTD. Kouzzina is really good at the Boardwalk, we ate there for breakfast and dinner. We watched a street magician while we waited for our ADR time. Walking around the Boardwalk was nice...

Take the boats any time you can. Sitting next to eachother with the breeze is nice.

Enjoy it and be flexible! Life does happen and you have to not let it ruin a magical time!

I think you have the best advice yet...I mean..no offense to all the other posters but...I think it is. I think we're going to try to spend the most quality time together, and try taking the boat more often.

Maybe I am planning too much during our 7ish days there. I mean one of the days, I'm kinda wondering what we're going to do...maybe just relax lol. We could sleep late, and then hit the parks later on and walk the Boardwalk area...grab some fun lunch somewhere in the area, like table service. Thank you so much!

PS: I think i'm going to cancel our dinner at Il Mulino for her birthday..i'm still considering a dining plan, and also....I wanna take her to Via Napolia at Epcot and Mama Melrose at DHS. It sounds like a lil too much Italian food lol.

Day 4). MK all day, dinner at one of the Sig. Restaurants at a MK resort...probably Cali Grill. Wishes either from there, or on Main St. Right after dinner.
Day 5). Either Epcot or DHS again. Dinner either Coral Reef, 50's Primetime, or Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Busy but certainly do-able. Don't be afraid to jettison any plan, though, based on the weather and just how you feel at the moment.

Day 5 I'd do Epcot rather than DHS, or just hit that early-morning TSM at DHS and then park hop to Epcot. I think there are more 'romantic-moment' opportunities at Epcot. Explore the various flower gardens, with secluded benches, in the different WS countries.

A different way to end Day 5 would be to go to POR, have dinner at Boatwrights, and then a lovely carriage ride through the grounds (reserve ahead of time).

Another good romantic idea - late night (really, really late night) swim in the quiet pool at your resort.

I agree with all the stuff PP's are saying. A few additional thoughts--

It doesn't matter how big or small you go for proposing- as long as it feels special for both of you. That said...

One of my favorite proposal ideas is on here somewhere in photo form- it's on Splash Mountain, and the guy posed for the picture the ride takes- each person in the boat is holding up a sign, and together it spells out "Will you marry me?" She's screaming her head off, but presumably when they get to the location where you can see the picture of yourself he popped down on one knee. :lovestruc:

Also, there's no such thing as too much Italian food. ;)

Last trip we scheduled 3 out of 4 dinners at Italian places. Tutto Italia was the most romantic. Via Napoli was noisier, but has 1 of our favorite desserts in all of Disney-- Zeppole di Caterina (fried ricotta cheese balls that you dip in chocolate sauce & whipped cream)... Come to think of it, there is a very safe place at the bottom of that dessert to hide a ring (if you can get her to leave the table or if you can get the waiters in on it :). It comes in a V shaped cone type of dish. And Mama Melrose was the 2nd most romantic.

On a previous trip we found our Tony's Italian dinner very special- we got a seating for about 45 minutes before the Main St Electrical Parade, and only restaurant guests were allowed to go out on the terrace area, so it was almost our own special viewing area.

If she's picky but likes meat, I cannot recommend 'Ohana strongly enough!
Endless skewers of various meats & shrimp, 3 yummy dipping sauces at your table, plus all-you-can-eat yummy appetizers, salad, bread, and to-die-for dessert. If you get a late enough seating, you can watch Wishes from out the window (they pipe the music in). Last summer we went there for our 5-year wedding anniversary, and there were several other couples also celebrating anniversaries & 1 couple celebrating an engagement. The musical entertainment called us up for a special couples dance & everyone got to say what they were celebrating & then dance to a special romantic dance. I cried a little. Very sweet. :love:

Last, but not least-
In addition to getting some "just engaged" buttons, get her a "Birthday" button to wear for the whole trip -- that will also get you some bonus desserts at table restaurants, as well as endless special treatment throughout your trip. My 2 favorite birthday button moments were a group of tipsy people coming up to me in World Showcase & serenading me with Happy Birthday, and getting off a ride when the cast member said there was a phone call for me-- it was Goofy on the ride telephone calling to wish me a Happy Bday! :-)

If you had more time before your trip, I would have rented a room at a DVC resort from a DVC Member.

Spend more time with each other and not in the parks.

Order the following from Disney: http://www.disneyflorist.com/product/disneyfloralandgifts-Disney-Florist-floral-rose-magical-wish-wand-valentine-chocolate/display they will deliver it to your room and set it up while you are out. Nice to come home to after dinner or maybe get room service.

I didn't see a private fireworks cruise mentioned at the MK or Epcot.

Spend time with each other, take a walk around the lake.

Dinner at Narcoossee's, watch fireworks from the restaurant.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter