Romantic dinner - not V&A?

I would caution on Narcoossee right now. I don't know what happened there, but we had a stellar experience as it should be the first time we went (during free dining, no less!) and an absolutely awful experience last week. The food was good, and the other elements that should wrap around a meal that expensive were missing entirely. We had to ask for our bread service, and nobody did one thing about the fact that there were bread crumbs all over the table before the salads and entrees arrived. No staff member seemed to have one of those nice little crumb scrapers, or if they did, feel as though the table needed that kind of attention. Last time, they did. Service was poorly-timed with the entrees being dropped off when we were halfway through our salads, and rushed when we did get it. Attempts to get our server's attention for additional needs went unheeded in multiple passes through the dining room.

I saw hot towels coming out of the kitchen while we were waiting for our table, but somehow that portion was missing from our experience. It would have been nice since we just spent all day in the parks. I also had to ask for a seafood fork to go with my lobster twin tails. It was really frustrating to experience what should have been such a nice meal, when it really fell flat on experience. Now, I realize that the above two paragraphs reek of privilege, but if you're looking for a romantic meal with all the trappings, THOSE are the trappings that I would reasonably expect for the bill we paid, and they were missing, which you deserve to know.

As for recommendations, Yachtsman was AMAZING. Our server was quick to point out how to best work with my Elk loin, which was a departure from how I planned to eat it, and would never have experienced it that way otherwise.

Jiko was phenomenal, through and through, and (spoiler alert) they have a cold-water lobster tail on their enhancements menu that is DIVINE. It's a Madagascar vanilla seasoned butter poached tail. And it far exceeded that at Narcoossee.

Next time we're there, I'm adding Shula's to the list, and BlueZoo. Both looked amazing and I look forward to visiting them. We're also going back to Jiko, and if I can convince hubby to do it, we're doing the 10-course meal at V&A.

California Grill, Tiffins, or Sanaa - DW and I ate at all three on our 25th anniversary trip a couple summers ago and all were great!
I love Tiffins but nothing about it says romance to me. Don't get me wrong, i think it's outstanding and go every single trip I just don't know if any theme park restaurant would qualify to me as romantic.

Flying fish was a great romantic meal for us. The restaurant is beautiful. I know they have recently changed the menu there and filet is not offered anymore. That was the best steak we had ever eaten. Check the menu before going. I’ve heard yachtsman steakhouse is nice too. We are going to eat there in May.

The romance was sucked right out of ff when devil spawn was allowed to race circles around our table. Grrrr

Which I know can happen anywhere.

The romance was sucked right out of ff when devil spawn was allowed to race circles around our table. Grrrr.

This statement makes me sad. Nobody's spawn should be permitted to ruin anyone else's meal ambiance. That's what Disney Babysitting Service is for. Let the kids eat pizza and cheeseburgers at the Kids' Club at the hotel, and go have a nice meal out. They'll have a way better time and so will all the other diners at the restaurant.

:furious:Totally agree.

Fortunately for me at least, we have not had many brushes w devil spawn :stir:

I know I am not in the majority, but California Grill is one of my least favorite Signatures! Perhaps if you dined later, but then again it is my least favorite food/service wise too. I agree that my last Signature splurge our favorite was Narcoosees for food and service. Perhaps Flying Fish food was better, but not service and not the atmosphere!

I love Tiffins but nothing about it says romance to me. Don't get me wrong, i think it's outstanding and go every single trip I just don't know if any theme park restaurant would qualify to me as romantic.
My wife and I had a very romantic dinner there, and we weren't isolated off in a corner or anything. Maybe it was just a matter of it being a fairly new place when we went and no kids anywhere in sight? Same trip we ate at HBD and, while the food was good, the level or romantic was pretty low - loud, lots of littles running about, etc.
IOW, I think romantic is what you make of it.

After looking over the menus, so far STK and Yachtsman are in the running since DH is not keen on trying new things. I'd love to try Jiko and maybe can talk him into 2 or 3 romantic dinners!

After looking over the menus, so far STK and Yachtsman are in the running since DH is not keen on trying new things. I'd love to try Jiko and maybe can talk him into 2 or 3 romantic dinners!

Keep in mind that STK has a live DJ, tables are pretty close together and it gets very loud. If you want a nightclub experience with your steak it could be a fun choice, but if you want a traditional steakhouse experience then Yachtsman, Bull & Bear or Shula's would be better choices.

We adore V&A and it would be a great choice for your 25th anniversary. I would still consider it.
Otherwise, Jiko, California Grill or Monsieur Paul (more expensive than the other 2), in that order. All are really good. We have had really good meals at Artist Point, but others have not had the same experience, so not sure I would recommend that.

Flying Fish with an evening on the Boardwalk including Ample Hills, maybe seeing Illuminations as a finale?

Congratulations on your 25th! As you've already seen, there are numerous recommendations, so just to further cloud things, I'll add my own. I'm not any more correct than other posters, but perhaps it will help to get as many opinions as possible. With my suggestions, you can assume the food consistently is quite good, though any restaurant can have an off night. I'll focus more on the other areas.

For intimacy and romance
Artist Point:
Hard to beat the ambiance here. If you arrive early, you can usually secure a window table which allows views of one of Disney's loveliest resorts. The wine list is excellent--composed almost entirely of Oregon and Washington wines--and service is usually exceptional. While any restaurant can have noisy nights, AP largely does not. After dinner, I highly recommend you walk around the grounds enjoying the majestic music, the flickering lights, crickets' chirruping, and the loveliness that is the new Geyser Point (also a good place for an after dinner drink).
Jiko: Much of what I say above also suits this restaurant. Service is topnotch; wine list is, too (though substitute South African wines for the Pacific Northwest). Very intimate setting and generally quiet. Though the grounds aren't quite as extensive as the Wilderness Lodge's, you can still enjoy an evening stroll. Of course, AKL is gorgeous.
BiCE: Okay, this one is over at Universal, but it's worth the 15-20 minute drive. Not quite as intimate as either AP or Jiko, it's still beautiful and will make you feel as though you're dining in a luxurious setting. Yes, food is excellent; in fact, the osso buco is exceptional. Their wine list is extensive and largely focused on Italian wines. We really like Il Mulino (which would make a solid choice, too), but BiCE is better in just about every respect. White tablecloth service and we felt pampered.

For celebratory fetes
CA Grill: While an enjoyable dining experience, it isn't quiet by any stretch of the imagination. There's a buzz circulating the place, and if you want to experience that Disney feeling of exuberance while dining, then it's a fine spot. However, I would not count on carrying on any low-voiced conversations. And the prices here are a bit steeper overall than other Signatures. The Sunday brunch is much quieter, however, and the service and food are still superb.
The Boathouse: Nicely themed setting, and if the weather is nice, you can sit outside. They often have live music, and if that's a plus, then The Boathouse is worth a consideration. Not as loud as CA Grill, but you won't mistake this for say, AP. Solid wine list; good service. And a bonus is you can walk around Disney Springs after and take in Sprinkles, Vivoli il Gelato or the Ganachery, and often there are plenty of street entertainers.
Morimoto Asia: Upscale Asian fusion in a hip, urban environment. Some dishes can be pedestrian, but others are noteworthy (talking about you buri bop!). They have a very good wine and drink lists, and our service has been good. If you can snag a table upstairs, it makes the restaurant seem more open and exotic. Again, it's not a quiet locale--quite convivial, in fact. Again, you'd have Disney Springs at your disposal following dinner.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter