• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Just a warning, you may want to read some of the posts in the forum on the RCT2 website. Many fans have been very disappointed (myself included). It really shouldn't be called a sequel, but rather another add-on pack. Although I still play it, I really don't feel that its as great as they were saying it would be. The new shops and rides are cool, but there's really not all that much new to the game. I'm also feeling a little awkward with the new interface. It basically looks the same, but it just feels a little different. I sometimes have problems placing shops. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

Be aware that there are some "bugs" in RCT2, some features aren't as good or easy to use as in RCT 1, some are "better". The peeps will stop and take pictures of new attractions - kind of cute. Some users have reported problems in loading the game because of the copy protection it uses. I had a few problems loading, too. Be sure your CD is clean and shiny before trying to load the game, and dirt or fingerprints can really goof it up - much more sensitive than other games to CD cleanliness. Overall, I like it - but it takes a little getting used to. You can not import scenarios from the original RTC, but you can import landscapes from previously saved games. There is also a scenario creator to make your own games and new rides and new features to help avoid crashes. Mechanics and Handymen are much more expensive :(

There is a board for RCT similar to the DIS at www.rollercoastertycoon2.com - click on RCT Forum - be aware that the people aren't as nice as they are on the DIS (of course, that goes without saying) :)

Yes, Chuck is right. I had trouble installing it myself. I took the CD out of the drive, shined it up a little on my shirt, and put it back in. It loaded with no problem at all. I've also had a few crashes while playing the game, which is mentioned by others on the RCT2 board. Now I keep saving my game every 10 minutes or so until the fix comes out. I lost a really good park in my first crash. :mad:

I've heard bad reviews as well, but I think I'll get it nonetheless... Really loved RCT1 and I'm eager to try something new. DOn't know if it's out here though. :)

DS (13) has every roller coaster building program available and spends a considerable amount of time using them all. He likes RCT2 because of the "stackable scenery" and the humans with the built-in intelligence, so they don't just walk around in circles on a two way sidewalk. He is not in the least bit disappointed and I would consider him to be a pro at coaster design programs (he wants to be a structural engineer and build coasters as a career).

Check out his latest fascination.http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/webcam/beach.cfm

Damo,

Your post reminds me of another programming glitch that I discovered yesterday - the so-called intelligent peeps. Yesterday I was playing and I noticed a lot of people were complaining that the park was too crowded. I had a large park, so I was a little confused. I looked all around until I found a spot in my "food court" with about 200 people just circling around in a small area. They were all heading for a nearby rollercoaster, but everyone seemed to be stuck in the food court even though there were several paths leading out of the court. :confused: It was really strange. I deleted some blocks of path and then put them back in. All of a sudden, the people just filed out of the food court in a single file line and headed over to the coaster. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all that info guys......................:D

DH and I bought it and have enjoyed it so far! We LOVED the first one...quit playing it when it got too hard, though! LOL! We haven't had any problems so far with the second one.

THe only problem I have is that DH bought me Mario Sunshine for my birthday and then we bought Tycoon...I don't know which one to play! LOL!

Whoo hooo! Can't wait to get this!! I hope DH buys me this for Christmas!! (hint, hint, I know he is a closet Dis'er!):p This sounds like a great game and I loved the first one!! :)

Sometimes, if I don't have the track increased long enough, it will work for awhile, then crash. I've actually shot the train right off the end of the track!

First, be sure to test your coaster before you open it. Also. I have found that coasters that run fine in the test portion, crash going into turns after being open to the public. I think that having people in the cars (during the test they are empty), increases the weight, and you need to run straight a little longer before going into a turn to give your self time to slow down. Also, make sure that you are banking your turns as that will make the cars less likely to shoot off the rails. Hope this helps :D

Hey, did you know you can replace the sound files? My merry-go-round is playing Colors of the WInd and Be Our Guest just like the one at WDW! It is time consuming, but doesn't that original carousel music get on your nerves? My Haunted House is playing Grim Grinning Ghosts.

You'll need to use your sound recorder and get into the RCT2 data files - there are some instructins in the RCT2 data files - using windows explorer open the RCT2 data subdirectory - click on the "custom" icon - it'll give you the basic instructions - but it doesn't tell you that you can copy songs into existing .dat files

Here's a list that is fairly accurate:

css19.dat Oriental sound file
css20.dat Martian
css21.dat Jungle
css22.dat Egyptian

There is a more detailed list that someone listed in the RCT2 forums at the web address I posted earlier.

Ok, it's ALL YOUR FAULT! I had to run out & buy this today. LOL

Haven't even finished the first version (& expansion packs). I tend to build a park I really like & just keep operating & changing that one.

How do you guys play? Do you keep building fresh each time? How long to you keep a park?

I just finished playing with the Scenario Builder. It's so neat! It really lets you pick every aspect of the scenario. Very fun.

Thanks for the sound info. I'm going to try that.....:D

How do you guys play? Do you keep building fresh each time? How long to you keep a park?

I play until the sceanrio finishes, and I can confirm that I have booted DH off the charts (and to think, this started out as HIS game :p ) - then I go on to a new park.

I don't build any custom coasters, DH does and saves them (plus he dowloads new ones from the web) and I use whatever is in the "inventory."

He bought me RTC2 the day it came out, and I wasn't feeling well this weekend so didn't play - can't wait till this weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter