• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rollator

Petalnick

Earning My Ears
Hello

Sorry if this has already been covered but couldn’t find the information.

We are coming to Disney World in April from the UK. My mother is coming and she has had a double hip replacement and I know the walking will be hard for her. We are staying on site so planning on lots of rest for her and time at the resort.

She Doesn’t want to rent a scooter but is interested in purchasing a rollator.

I was just wondering are these ok to use in the parks? How do they work in the queues? Would we need to park them with the strollers?

Many thanks in advance

CMs will treat a rollator similar to a manual wheelchair. She should not have to park it anywhere unless she wants to. It can go into the majority of lines. The one exception there might be which comes to mind is Jungle Cruise. That is a very tight standby line. They don’t like manual wheelchairs to use it, though I personally find it doable. Your mom might be directed to the accessible entrance for that ride. Though a rollator should be fine most anywhere else.

I will also repeat what was said above for future readers not familiar with this equipment. A rollator is not a wheelchair. If someone is sitting in it, it should be stationary. If you need a wheelchair, get a wheelchair. You should not push someone seated in a rollator. It might seem a little weird for us to harp on this, but people have gotten hurt trying it.

Thank you. I am aware we couldn’t use the rollator as a wheelchair. We have been to Disney world before so we know how massive it is and the walking required. My mum is capable of walking but a little bit of support means she can walk that bit more.

We are staying on site and my parents are planning of lots of relaxing time at the resort.

Many thanks for the help.

Hello

Sorry if this has already been covered but couldn’t find the information.

We are coming to Disney World in April from the UK. My mother is coming and she has had a double hip replacement and I know the walking will be hard for her. We are staying on site so planning on lots of rest for her and time at the resort.

She Doesn’t want to rent a scooter but is interested in purchasing a rollator.

I was just wondering are these ok to use in the parks? How do they work in the queues? Would we need to park them with the strollers?

Many thanks in advance

I posted recently in this forum to get feedback on what options would be best for my temporary mobility issue. Your mother's issue sounds more permanent. I received excellent advice--rent an ECV/scooter for the parks. I will be purchasing an inexpensive Rollator to take on our cruise (following our WDW visit) because a) I am not currently using any mobility device for my issue at home and b) it will probably come in handy down the road when I need an eventual knee replacement. My concerns are the wear and tear on my knees from walking and standing, especially if I attempt an early morning at Hollywood Studios to ride RotR in Galaxy's Edge.

I have never driven an ECV/scooter, and I'm not one to care what others might think of me riding one.

I would look into a wheelchair that she can push and sit and have someone push her when she needs it. If she wants a roller put a few number of vender thst have wheelchair in your phone Incase she finds the roller not enough for her.

I will also repeat what was once stated above for future readers now not familiar with this equipment. A rollator is not a wheelchair. If anybody is sitting in it, it ought to be stationary. If you want a wheelchair, get a wheelchair. You not push anybody seated in a rollator. It might seem a little weird for us to harp on this, but human beings have gotten hurt trying it.

Yes, you are - but not everybody who reads this thread will be aware (or maybe even ever read the multiple warning labels stuck to the rollator :D).
I have seen a very few rollators than can be pushed as a wheelchair, but they are specific ones designed to be used both ways and are only for pushing short distances.

I saw someone pushing someone on one and it hit a tiny bump and tipped over backwards. The person sitting cracked their head in the ground and the person pushing fell on top of them. It was awful. I always worry about that when I see people being pushed on them.

The rollator will really only help when it comes to waiting for a show or parade, and if you are in a line that doesn't move much. It will not really help with the pain of walking long distances. She may not want one, but it does sound like she needs an ECV.

To rent a wheelchair at disney isn't too much more than an outside vendor. And I believe the chance of wheelchairs running out is slim. EVC, yes, they probably run out all the time.

So if your mom is planning on spending a lot of time at resort, perhaps being at the parks for a few hours won't be overwhelming. But if it becomes too much, rent a wheelchair from disney.

You may find a few hours at MK is doable but a few hours at Epcot or AK is not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter