Roku question

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
We are trying to save money on our outrageous xfinity bill and just bought a Roku. If we return that cable box I understand we will save the monthly rental charge. Will they also remove that particular tv charge from our bill as well and only charge us for the two TVs that have an xfinity box?

we bought a roku tv and a firestick for a 2nd tv
i now have only one box on 1 tv. my bill went down by the cost of 2 boxes. the tv package cost is the sme but you can remove all the premium channels etc if you need

i got most channels by using my fios sign on to activate them on the 2 tvs without a box

We only have one box and 1g internet and I pay 100 for the package.. on the other tvs I use the xfinity app.. working good so far. I keep the one little box in the living room and we can move it to the bedroom if somethings on there we want that we cant get...
Dont forget you also get the peacock app for free as well.

Your xfinity package is not really per TV, the service is for the whole house. By returning a box you save the fee for that box.

We got rid of one box (have a Roku in the bedroom), went to a cheaper/smaller channel lineup, figured out how much internet we actually use and adjusted that as well. Also got our own modem and in the long run that saved us on the rental fee. We ended up saving about $100 a month.

I rarely (like once every couple of weeks) watch live TV anymore, so many great free channels out there.
We would get rid of Xfinity all together but they are the only game in town for our internet needs. The cable/WiFi package is cheaper than just WiFi 🤔

Edit - if you will still have Xfinity you do get their app on the Roku. It has live TV and on demand.

Last edited:

Roku is amazing. We still unfortunately have Verizon, imho the worst cable service on the planet, because my wife insists on it for some unknown reason.

on Roku, I suggest adding Hulu or Sling to get pretty much everything you need on live tv. Plus all the other channels they offer, NFLX, d+ (which I canceled), prime, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I found out that my library has the Acorn channel available for free. You have to "check it out" every week but it's a great channel if you like British and some other international shows.

My library system is small (up in the mountains of CO) so I bet many others have it available.

We love our Rokus. Cut cable 10 years ago, and haven't turned back. If xfinity is like Spectrum, they remove the charges once the box is turned back in

A couple of weeks ago I found out that my library has the Acorn channel available for free. You have to "check it out" every week but it's a great channel if you like British and some other international shows.

My library system is small (up in the mountains of CO) so I bet many others have it available.

Do you also get hoopla?

We got rid of all cable years ago, and just stream through Roku for Netflix, Amazon Prime,Hulu and Disney+. We have recently added HBO, but may drop that. Also debating dropping Hulu, and really only have the Prime as it comes with the basic service we already use. we mainly use it to rent movies. We have found that we are watching less television then we used to, and are happy with the service we have. We have also saved lots of money this way.

For the past 3 Black Fridays Hulu has had a special. First year it was .99 a month, then the other 2 it's been $1.99. I really like Hulu but would not have it if it was the regular price (5.99 with ads). Right now we have Netflix and Hulu, dropped Prime this year since most of their stuff is on the free channels (other than their original stuff). The free ones I really like are PlutoTV, Crackle and Tubi.

Do you also get hoopla?
It is through RBDigital and it depends on your library's subscription. We only get Acorn and the Great Courses channel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter