ROFR Thread Oct to Dec 2021 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m envious of your ability to pull the trigger and congratulations on your contract. I too will me in my mid 60’s by the time it expires and my kids are still very young so we would be using it during our prime years. I just can’t get over it psychologically, the short time remaining on the contract. I’m also waiting to see what the end product will be when DLT goes on sale. A part of me thinks I’ll regret not buying BCV when they start selling DLT for $300 pp with an insane points chart. Ugghh.

That point chart will be rough. The good thing though is that due to its size, a trip to Disneyland Resort might be a shorter stay than Disney World so you might be ok with less points based on how your family vacations. Plus if you go every other year, that’s even less points that’ll be needed. So while direct pricing might be crazy, that add on could be minimal.
If you really love the Beach Club, don’t be afraid to pull the trigger on that contract. 20 years of memories is still a long time. My daughter practically grew up going there for 10 day trips every year in late August from the time she was just a few years old and spending her birthday’s there too. And at 13 she still doesn’t want to stay anywhere else. Just that alone is worth the contract.

What makes the smaller contracts so inviting to some? Is it just b/c it may be for an add-on? I look at it and go, man, i need like 150 on top of that.
For me, it's because:
(1) small contracts are easy to add on in cash
(2) small contracts do cost more, but they also command more value if I ever have to resell
(3) small contracts also mean that if I do need to downsize, I can downsize in smaller increments without having to give up a large number of points. It gives me more flexibility.
(4) sometimes I just need to add on a small number of points to get where I want to be
(5) a bunch of small contracts is easier to divide amongst the kids in the future should they want them :)
(6) sometimes I just want the 11 month advantage, but only need a small number of points for my needs at a particular resort (for example, we picked up a 50pt PVB so we could do a couple of nights in a studio each year)

For me, it's because:
(2) small contracts do cost more, but they also command more value if I ever have to resell
(3) small contracts also mean that if I do need to downsize, I can downsize in smaller increments without having to give up a large number of points. It gives me more flexibility.
(4) sometimes I just need to add on a small number of points to get where I want to be
(5) a bunch of small contracts is easier to divide amongst the kids in the future should they want them :)
(6) sometimes I just want the 11 month advantage, but only need a small number of points for my needs at a particular resort (for example, we picked up a 50pt PVB so we could do a couple of nights in a studio each year)
Pretty much all of this, especially a 2042 resort.

For me, it's because:

Great info, thank you for sharing. I don’t know how selling contract works. If I buy a 300 point contract I can’t sell off half? If that is the case, I guess I didn’t realize Disney sold direct contracts in small increments.

Great info, thank you for sharing. I don’t know how selling contract works. If I buy a 300 point contract I can’t sell off half? If that is the case, I guess I didn’t realize Disney sold direct contracts in small increments.

DVC is the only one that can "split" a contract. All of us can only sell the entire contract if someone were to decide to sell.

DVC is the only one that can "split" a contract. All of us can only sell the entire contract if someone were to decide to sell.

This is why you’ll often see the advice to split up a large contract when buying direct from Disney. In other words, if someone is looking to buy 300+ points (or even 200+), you’ll see people recommend to split it into 150/150 or even 150/75/75.

The original contract will need to be a minimum of 150 if you’re not currently a member, but the others can be smaller. The paperwork costs will be a bit higher, but it gives you more flexibility, so it may be worth it.

This is why you’ll often see the advice to split up a large contract when buying direct from Disney. In other words, if someone is looking to buy 300+ points (or even 200+), you’ll see people recommend to split it into 150/150 or even 150/75/75.

The original contract will need to be a minimum of 150 if you’re not currently a member, but the others can be smaller. The paperwork costs will be a bit higher, but it gives you more flexibility, so it may be worth it.
Thank you! I thought the minimum was 150 and was wondering why some 25 pt contracts were available for resale. Is 25 the smallest Disney will do?

Thank you! I thought the minimum was 150 and was wondering why some 25 pt contracts were available for resale. Is 25 the smallest Disney will do?
I believe so. They will do small contracts as add-ons for existing owners.

There was a time when some resorts were a minimum of 50 for add-ons, but that may have been/may be a minimum for financing, and 25 for cash.

With the exception of when someone is buying a FW and have to add on a small contract to reach a certain threshold, the smallest is 25 points cash, or 50 if you are going to finance with Disney.

Not unless you split the contract when purchasing it. For example, when we added on at Riviera, we split the contract into 2 65-point contracts.

As a new owner, you have to have 150 points in one contract at a minimum, but you can have as low as 25 points if paying cash, 50 if financing.

Also if you’re going to be buying a lot of points, look at incentives for new vs existing owners, as existing is usually better. And if you buy only 25 resale, you’re still considered an owner (just not a blue card holder) so you’d qualify for existing member incentives.

In the past, I have seen a few 15 pointers out there in resale. I do think you can buy 25 at some resorts. Personally, I think a smallish resale at 50-75 points is ideal as the closing costs are about the same at 25-50-75 and if you buy a loaded contract you get an immediate benefit. AKV and HHI have seasons where you can actually get three nights out of a 25 point contract which is amazing.

In the past, I have seen a few 15 pointers out there in resale. I do think you can buy 25 at some resorts. Personally, I think a smallish resale at 50-75 points is ideal as the closing costs are about the same at 25-50-75 and if you buy a loaded contract you get an immediate benefit. AKV and HHI have seasons where you can actually get three nights out of a 25 point contract which is amazing.
I believe years ago there were some very small contracts/add-ons permitted when some point reallocations occurred. I can't recall where I read that (probably somewhere on here).

Not unless you split the contract when purchasing it. For example, when we added on at Riviera, we split the contract into 2 65-point contracts.

As a new owner, you have to have 150 points in one contract at a minimum, but you can have as low as 25 points if paying cash, 50 if financing.

Also if you’re going to be buying a lot of points, look at incentives for new vs existing owners, as existing is usually better. And if you buy only 25 resale, you’re still considered an owner (just not a blue card holder) so you’d qualify for existing member incentives.

Riviera is also requiring a 50-pt minimum as an add on, even with cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter