ROFR Thread January to March 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What size of rooms would you typically book? That will really help you decide whether or not you need an 11 month booking window.

I love Charleston! Wish we were closer so that we could visit more often for sure.
Anytime you need recs for locals spots hit me up, its a great town but its almost too small to be this popular for people to know the best of Charleston because everyone goes to the trendy places.

We have one teenager, that comes with us infrequently. Its either my wife and myself or her and a family member. I think resort studios/deluxe studios are the norm for us.

So essentially the bigger the room need the further out you have to book? Or do I have that wrong?

Based on this, and where the market is going, coupled with the ambiguity around DVC 2.0, you wont see me pay more than $75pp for SSR. And thats if the contract is loaded.
I think it is your willingness to wait that allows you to have success. I believe most people want the contract in a fairly short period of time. Add in the fact that most people do not research these like you and I do and that is why the prices stay as high as they do.

There was a June 200 point SSR contract recorded yesterday that went for $89 a point.

There was a December 200 point contract that was recorded on the 19th that went for $80 a point.

These are unicorns with way more contracts going for over $100 per point than under $90.

I have tracked 25 contracts since January that went for between $80-89 per point.

Thanks for this info.

I think I had convinced myself id missed an amazing deal due to double points for 24 and 200 for this year due to expire. So could cut the price down with the rental of some of these.

I might have missed a good deal or maybe a better one is round the corner.

Anytime you need recs for locals spots hit me up, its a great town but its almost too small to be this popular for people to know the best of Charleston because everyone goes to the trendy places.

We have one teenager, that comes with us infrequently. Its either my wife and myself or her and a family member. I think resort studios/deluxe studios are the norm for us.

So essentially the bigger the room need the further out you have to book? Or do I have that wrong?
Not necessarily. The rooms that require the least amount of points typically go the fastest. Studios and standard views. I find the site below has been a very helpful guide for determining when I would need to book a specific type of room and location. I'm sure it isn't 100% depending on when you visit, but it's a good guide to start with.
https://dvcrequest.com/information/when-to-book.

I am completely unfamiliar with the Studios. We have stayed in 1Bs, CC cabins or bungalows so far. We have 9 and 7 year old girls and they are good to sleep on the pullout or better yet the murphy bed together. Having said that, the extra room and privacy in the bungalows and cabins at CC are pretty amazing. For now, those are always available when we travel in Feb/Oct. It allows us to unpack their luggage and have room to spread out. That does come at a much higher point total though. Before buying in to the resorts and then buying DVC, we had only stayed just off property and enjoyed houses with loaded amenities. It was difficult to go from 4-5K square feet, or more, to 1K or less. And having to pay more for it.

When I was active duty I went TDY there a half dozen times probably. Traveled with a guy who grew up there, so that got us into seeing all of Charleston from a locals perspective. Love it there!

There was a June 200 point SSR contract recorded yesterday that went for $89 a point.

There was a December 200 point contract that was recorded on the 19th that went for $80 a point.

These are unicorns with way more contracts going for over $100 per point than under $90.

I have tracked 25 contracts since January that went for between $80-89 per point.
I argue that SSR should be going at under $100/point. People just don't know how to bargain!

I argue that SSR should be going at under $100/point. People just don't know how to bargain!
I think so too.

But there is clearly a market willing to pay that and more.

I am just really surprised that since I began following DVC contracts in 2022 it seems BLT and CCV prices have dropped more than SSR contracts. With longer expiration dates and better locations that bewilders me.

I think so too.

But there is clearly a market willing to pay that and more.

I am just really surprised that since I began following DVC contracts in 2022 it seems BLT and CCV prices have dropped more than SSR contracts. With longer expiration dates and better locations that bewilders me.
I figure this is because most DVC buyers are not as educated as we are. SSR is huge and has some of the most contracts on sale at any given time. The initial low buy in is attractive to someone who isn't all that educated about things like term/dues/use years, etc.

I figure this is because most DVC buyers are not as educated as we are. SSR is huge and has some of the most contracts on sale at any given time. The initial low buy in is attractive to someone who isn't all that educated about things like term/dues/use years, etc.
I semi agree with this. But on the other hand, SSR was an entry point for me to test out DVC. Once I bought my first contract, it got me hooked. I then bought at many of the other properties where I would want to stay more. BLT, POLY, AKL, BRV and Aulani. So people might just look at SSR like I did and say, this is a nice way to get my feet wet before I commit more funds to DVC.

I semi agree with this. But on the other hand, SSR was an entry point for me to test out DVC. Once I bought my first contract, it got me hooked. I then bought at many of the other properties where I would want to stay more. BLT, POLY, AKL, BRV and Aulani. So people might just look at SSR like I did and say, this is a nice way to get my feet wet before I commit more funds to DVC.
I did a lot of research and for our age, travel period and how I figured we would use the points the SSR contracts made the most sense. My next decision is what 2nd contract makes the most sense. It very well could be a second SSR contract.

We are in the process of buying a smaller (130 pts) SSR with a Feb use year that was loaded with 231 pts for 2024 and then the rest at 130. It was listed I believe for $98, I offered $90 and we settled on $94 I think. I can't remember .

Unfortunately we're still waiting on ROFR and it's been 4 weeks today. Fidelity finally responded to me and said they reached out to Disney and were told it should be done early next week. So that time frame puts us much longer than most of the ROFR as of late. At least the ones posted here. It'll roughly be say 2/23 sent to 3/26 passed (guesstimate).

Personally I think Fidelity made an error somehow...but whatever. We were hoping to get points and get a trip the middle of May but that may now be out.

The reason we bought SSR is because like you said, the lower initial buy in cost. Our kids are aging and not as excited about WDW as they were, but my wife and I have gone just the two of us twice in the past 2 years and really had a great time so we figured the lower buy in at this point in time is good. I bet we end up getting a second contract down the road though. Plus we are very flexible in our schedules so I think it'll be ok.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. It depends on the WHY people are buying BLT, CCV or SSR. Not everyone wants or needs a longer contract or cares about the location. Comparable annual dues and a much lower buyin. Some owners, like myself, just want SAPs and don't have to worry about the 11 month booking window. Why would I pay more for that?

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. It depends on the WHY people are buying BLT, CCV or SSR. Not everyone wants or needs a longer contract or cares about the location. Comparable annual dues and a much lower buyin. Some owners, like myself, just want SAPs and don't have to worry about the 11 month booking window. Why would I pay more for that?
Forgive my ignorance what is a SAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter