• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Thread April to June 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing price! Who was your broker?
I think the rules are that I can't name the broker but I can share the website and the board will automatically censor it if it's one of the many brokers we aren't allowed to talk about. https://www.****************.com/dvc_listing/beach-club-101-pts-september-use-year-bcv08984/

I do think it's a pretty good deal, in part because it can't close for a few months-- but while I was negotiating this contract, the same broker listed a loaded contract that worked out to be about the same (or slightly better) value with loaded points and I offered $5/pt below list but it sold at list within 24 hours.

LOL. While we all think the Dis is the entirety and center of the universe, there’s likely lots of DVC buyers that have never heard of it…
I had been casually looking into DVC ownership for years. I only heard of this thread two weeks ago while watching a Youtube video! With that said, if I was more serious about purchasing earlier on I probably would have found this thread much sooner. I also may have made an offer much sooner if I knew what some of the market rates were.

I think the rules are that I can't name the broker but I can share the website and the board will automatically censor it if it's one of the many brokers we aren't allowed to talk about. https://www.****************.com/dvc_listing/beach-club-101-pts-september-use-year-bcv08984/

I do think it's a pretty good deal, in part because it can't close for a few months-- but while I was negotiating this contract, the same broker listed a loaded contract that worked out to be about the same (or slightly better) value with loaded points and I offered $5/pt below list but it sold at list within 24 hours.
Congratulations! If I've found the correct thread that means the original listing price was at $140 per point. That gives me a better grasp on the types of offers that come in for these. Enjoy your future crescent lake trips!

Congratulations! If I've found the correct thread that means the original listing price was at $140 per point. That gives me a better grasp on the types of offers that come in for these. Enjoy your future crescent lake trips!
I think you did... there probably aren't too many 101 point September contracts on the market. ;)

I think I made offers on 7-10 BCV contracts last weekend, 1-2 said no way would they go below $140, a couple never responded, and then a few brokers were open to $130 or lower. I was willing to walk away above $115 (well, technically my husband insisted I walk away over $115) and I actually did think I was going to lose it. My personal opinion is that best case DVC may stablize for a bit but will keep sliding if interest rates stay elevated and Disney demand weakens (which is what Disney just said was happening on its earnings call)--but obviously I don't have 100% confidence in that projection or I would have waited longer to buy. :) In any event, you only need to find one motivated seller who doesn't want to hold on for months in hopes of a market recovery, and I suspect that a lot of the people landing amazing deals make 10-20+ offers before they get them.

Got it…completely agree with this analysis— sorry I missed your implication the first time! I don’t think the DVC market is perfectly efficient, but I agree other brokers (and sellers!) would raise their prices if they could sell them at higher price points. I saw something concerning on these boards (maybe this thread) where a certain broker was basically refusing offers that would have been better slightly for the seller than their own internal buying price—like why would you advise a seller not to take an offer that gives them more money than the offer you are making them? Maybe brokers in FL don’t have a duty to look out for seller’s best interests? 🤔

FWIW, based on my experience in April buying VGF and again this last week…I do think other brokers look at the “average sale price” numbers that come out and try to price their listings accordingly…but some end up negotiating down pretty quickly. I suspect they have to tell the clients they tried but also know it isn’t actually a market clearing price.
May I ask which broker you used? If you are permitted to post it on this site, that is.

The difference in commission for a 10 to 15 dollar spread in price per point is small (unless you are talking about VB & HH). Sell more contracts at a slightly lower prices and you make a hell of a lot more money. If you are selling a house a real estate agent would be more than happy if you accept a lower price just to close the sale fast. Now when a real estate agent sells their own house they will hold out until they get top dollar.
My observation is those sites that rent points (or associated with rental co) seem to be the more expensive sites. My guess is they buy all the lower price/need to sell contracts and then rent the points until they get the 15+% mark-up plus commission. Not a bad business plan, 10% net return while you wait for the capital gain.

My observation is those sites that rent points (or associated with rental co) seem to be the more expensive sites. My guess is they buy all the lower price/need to sell contracts and then rent the points until they get the 15+% mark-up plus commission. Not a bad business plan, 10% net return while you wait for the capital gain.
I don't think the net return could be anywhere close to 10%... maybe slightly over 10% gross, assuming you are buying at around $100/pt and you can always rent $10/pt more than your dues and don't have to discount any rentals... but then you have to subtract your employment/staff/IT/overhead and any debt you took on to be able to finance buying all the contracts. If all of those costs are extremely lean and you always rent all your points, it's probably still a good business model in a 0% interest rate environment, but I'm not sure it beats parking your money in treasuries at the moment, and with Disney getting more aggressive to fill its hotel bookings, I'm not sure you can assume you'll always get more than $20 a point.

That’s the broker that we’ve just bought through. I found them really easy to deal with and didn’t get any snarky comments on low offers like I did from others. There were very straight forward. Would happily deal with them again.

I don't think the net return could be anywhere close to 10%... maybe slightly over 10% gross, assuming you are buying at around $100/pt and you can always rent $10/pt more than your dues and don't have to discount any rentals... but then you have to subtract your employment/staff/IT/overhead and any debt you took on to be able to finance buying all the contracts. If all of those costs are extremely lean and you always rent all your points, it's probably still a good business model in a 0% interest rate environment, but I'm not sure it beats parking your money in treasuries at the moment, and with Disney getting more aggressive to fill its hotel bookings, I'm not sure you can assume you'll always get more than $20 a point.
I'm assuming the rental company already has the staff/tech etc so additional is minimal. And I was looking at $126 BLT gtd buy price, and the company renting at $22-23 (14-15 net) . I don't rent points so if that number is off, my bad.

In general these threads are a great resource for people buying resale. I think they would benefit greatly from including the list price in their data. I understand why they may not want to include the broker but having an firmer handle on how much someone bid under asking is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter