ROFR Thread April to June 2018 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh no surprise taken today
Sorry to hear. That would have been a fab deal for you. I was speaking to a broker from the sponsor of this page today about an SSR I was interested in. He said they’ve been watching the buybacks too, and are advising accordingly. I know we all want to get the best deal without overpaying, but I think seriously looking over why gets bought back will give you a good idea of what to offer.

Nice! Still waiting on my SSR 7 days to 30....lol

I think your contract was submitted right around the same time as mine and a few others. Now that my contract has passed & not feeling the need to using this thread as a life line, I still find myself checking in daily & find myself looking for follow up on the decision you get...Just so you know, I'm routing for you!

Sorry to hear. That would have been a fab deal for you. I was speaking to a broker from the sponsor of this page today about an SSR I was interested in. He said they’ve been watching the buybacks too, and are advising accordingly. I know we all want to get the best deal without overpaying, but I think seriously looking over why gets bought back will give you a good idea of what to offer.

Did he give you a price point that they felt was now "safe" or at least "safer?" When I look at the list on page 1 of those waiting, I paid more than anyone else, but I am hoping that helps it pass.

I saw on dvcsales.com that they are actually indicating two contracts that were taken by DVC, both SSR. One was asking $100/point, (the amount I paid), but they don't indicate how much the actual offer was.

I just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, and hoping, hoping, hoping.

I saw on dvcsales.com that they are actually indicating two contracts that were taken by DVC, both SSR. One was asking $100/point, (the amount I paid), but they don't indicate how much the actual offer was.
The accepted offer was $85/point. You’ll be fine at $100/point.

For us, 4 park days for the 4 of us would cost about $1480, so for two years that would be $2960. This is just regular base tickets, no park hopper, memory maker, etc.

Buying an annual pass for the 4 of us is $2356. So that is $604 every 2 years. So that would take 14 years to pay back $4500 on its own.

But for us, we do a lot of sit down dining, because our kids get worn out easily and it's a chance for them to rest/recharge so we can hit the park longer. Plus we like to do character meals and avoid the character meet and greet lines altogether. Last time we spent $1500 on food for the 4 of us, but that was crazy because we were trying to intentionally try a lot of character restaurants we hadn't before. So lets assume that's normally more like $1000, so $2000 for 2 trips. Take a 20 percent discount with TIW (or can redo number with 12% average discount without TIW), and subtract the cost of the TIW card, and that'll save us about $250 every two years.

So if you take those two together, that would pay itself back in about 10 years. Presumably the discount on souvenirs would cut that down a little further if you buy a lot of souvenirs (which we are guilty of).

Now, if you are the sort that would pay for park hopper and memory maker anyways (which we are not, but will enjoy having since it comes with the AP), that is an extra $470 for the 4 of us for one year, or $940 for two years. If you combined the 604 off base ticket price + 250 off food + 950 off for parkhopper and memory maker, that pays itself back in about 5 years, or a little sooner depending on if you also buy souvenirs. We would never pay the crazy prices for park hopper and memory maker at their full prices, but it does still add some definite value for us.

Plus we can be flexible about how many days we spend at the park vs resort, without having to predict the exact number of days in advance, which is a nice flexibility, and not that pressure to make sure you don't "waste" a ticket if everyone needs some rest.

That was enough we felt it was worth stretching - and I will admit some level of fear that disney is going to get worse with incentivizing direct purchases and raising the points needed for it over time, so we wanted to get in now so we can be grandfathered in going forward (hopefully, as they've grandfathered in the past). I'll be interested to see if they do something even more dramatic once Riviera opens.
Thank you so much for this post. It is exactly the kind of thought process I had when justifying (to myself) purchasing direct vs. resale at this time. We always buy memory maker, so that is a definitely plus for me. The AP flexibility is very attractive to me regarding not having to scrutinize how many park days I need to purchase each trip. I feel like our family will travel in a similar fashion to your stagger method to maximize passes, especially now that we have a grandchild who is already begging to go back to Disneyworld. Anyways, thank you for this.

If it was an Aug UY, it was mine. We need to start a low-ballers club. DVD could be a club sponsor.

Hahaha. Mine was March! Unfortunately, I think Disney has me on their radar. They’ve now taken 4 of my contracts. I think they just see my name and want to take it. :( I may just add on some BLT points at the crazy prices they’re going for now in the resale market and be done with it all. This is too much time and stress for my impatient behind.

Just from reading the ROFR lists since January it looks like the rofr team were instructed to maximize frustration by prolonging the wait at about the same time Disney announced changes to membership extras for resale buyers. As recently as January some contracts passed ride in a week or less. Now it's 2 weeks+ for pass and the full 4 weeks for fail.

Just from reading the ROFR lists since January it looks like the rofr team were instructed to maximize frustration by prolonging the wait at about the same time Disney announced changes to membership extras for resale buyers. As recently as January some contracts passed ride in a week or less. Now it's 2 weeks+ for pass and the full 4 weeks for fail.

The mouse can be mean sometimes!

Was yours the 200 pt. August UY at SSR or the 200 pt. March UY?

I am in awe of your negotiating skills for sure!

Mine was the March UY. Honestly, my negotiating isn’t really helping me out when Disney is the one who benefits from it. :( That’s why I think I’ll just pay market rate for a good/somewhat loaded BLT contract in my UY and be done with it. I had more time on my hands last year to fool with this. I tried it again with that SSR contract this year, but my kids are getting older which means we are busier, and I just don’t have the time to wait and wait and wait only for them to be taken.

Did he give you a price point that they felt was now "safe" or at least "safer?" When I look at the list on page 1 of those waiting, I paid more than anyone else, but I am hoping that helps it pass.

Their best guess was $95pp was the zone where it would get dicey. I mean, this all depends on how many points are on the contract, if it’s loaded or stripped, etc. So I wouldn’t take that as a hard and fast rule. I was negotiating the one I found, and was wondering if it was worth countering the sellers counter to my original offer. That’s why I called them. I’ve seen SSR pass at less if you go back to the previous ROFR thread, but all you have to do is follow the trend in this thread to see that’s much more the exception now.
Also, SSR is available direct for $150pp, as I called to ask about it. No wait list when I called, she just asked if it was available would I be interested in buying. I said yes, she put me on hold, came back, and magically I could buy Feb, March, or April UY.
Just remember, they can’t buy EVERYTHING back, and this is just a small sample of what passes or gets taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter