Rode FOP 3 times, barely any wait. My tips!

talocaca

Earning My Ears
Most people visiting WDW are freaking out about those insane lines for Pandora and specially flight of Passage.

I went to Animal Kingdom last week and the lines for the ride peaked at 320 minutes while I was there!

I still managed to ride 3 times with barely any wasted time. My advice:

Rope drop: I got there around 8:00 am for a 9:00 open and was off the ride by 8:50 or so. The walk to the ride was exciting, even though some guests were extremely rude. From there I walked to Na'vi River and waited about 30 minutes.

FP: even if nothing is available at your 30 (or 60) day window, keep checking. I ended up getting a fast pass about 15 days before my visit.

FP again: After I used my 3 fast passes at the park, I just kept clicking refresh while waiting for the Lion King show to start around 3:00 PM. Just like that and after like 5 minutes of trying, I got a fast passes again to ride a third time at 5:45 PM.

From my experience, the second ride was by far the best. I kinda knew what to expect, I was not stressed/tired from rope drop and I asked for middle seats.

It was just absolutely perfect.

Do NOT wait 4 hours for this ride! Plan in advance and enjoy the best ride in WDW right now.

I have found if you are fortunate enough to ride multiple times, make sure to request different areas of the theater. The screen is so big that you really can’t take in all of the details from one spot. We got 4 rides in, and each one was a little different because of our location.

Thank you for this post. My 30 day window was yesterday and I was literally in tears to find that the only reason I'm going to WDW instead of my beloved Disneyland had no available FP... Will exactly follow your advice and have been watching a ton of YouTube AK rope drop videos. Feeling much better now. Thank you!

Thank you for this post. My 30 day window was yesterday and I was literally in tears to find that the only reason I'm going to WDW instead of my beloved Disneyland had no available FP... Will exactly follow your advice and have been watching a ton of YouTube AK rope drop videos. Feeling much better now. Thank you!
By all means relax! I was freaking out amd ended up riding three times with barely any wait. If you are hoping to do River Journey, rope drop is a MUST. I rode it right after FOP and waited about 40 minutes (and even that wasn't really worth it).

Go around 1 hour before opening (it doesn't even feel like waiting because you are regularly moved to new locations closer to Pandora) and you can keep looking for those elusive fastpasses. Even while you are already at Animal Kingdom!

Good luck.

The ride is awesome!

We were lucky enough to get a 4th FP+ for FOP too also. Keep refreshing the app!
Forgive my ignorance but how do you refresh an app? I know how to refresh a webpage but not sure on this. Thanks

Forgive my ignorance but how do you refresh an app? I know how to refresh a webpage but not sure on this. Thanks
When searching for a FP+, keep clicking different times until you find the FP+ you want. It doesn’t matter what time you choose, but each time a new list of times or attractions would appear for me.

When searching for a FP+, keep clicking different times until you find the FP+ you want. It doesn’t matter what time you choose, but each time a new list of times or attractions would appear for me.

This is a great tip! I just played with it for tonight with my AP and the app. For FOP, if one becomes available it will appear at the top and you don't have to scroll down looking. In the few minutes I tried it, Navi FP came up 3 different times. I think I found a new "line game" for the kids. I'll call it "look for the FP+" no more "look for the hidden Mickey"

This is a great tip! I just played with it for tonight with my AP and the app. For FOP, if one becomes available it will appear at the top and you don't have to scroll down looking. In the few minutes I tried it, Navi FP came up 3 different times. I think I found a new "line game" for the kids. I'll call it "look for the FP+" no more "look for the hidden Mickey"

Haha, perfect! I did all the FP finding on our trip, so I was on MDE during most lines, looking for that next FP. It WAS a game to me. I actually enjoyed it!

I was doing it around 1:00 for FOP, I kept going back and forth between 1:00 and 1:30. At first a 2:30 came up, I confirmed it. Then I hit modify to try to get one sooner, 2:00 popped up. We stuck with that.

I was also able to get 7DMT, ToT, TSM, Soarin using the same method during our week. The only one I never saw pop up was Frozen. It almost became a game to see what I could get.

There have been plenty of reports of less than 10 minute waits for River Journey close to closing time.

Yes. Exactly this happened for us... about 20 min wait. We entered the line at 7:45 before an 8:00 closing.
—-

Also, for those new to the app-refresh idea, we found that it was much much more successful on the day-of, the whole week we were recently there. Got FoP many times this way, though not the day/days before.

Most people visiting WDW are freaking out about those insane lines for Pandora and specially flight of Passage.

I went to Animal Kingdom last week and the lines for the ride peaked at 320 minutes while I was there!

I still managed to ride 3 times with barely any wasted time. My advice:

Rope drop: I got there around 8:00 am for a 9:00 open and was off the ride by 8:50 or so.

You did spend an hour of time without doing anything (waiting for the park to open), so I consider that wasted time, don't you? You can do a lot at WDW in an hour!

We got FP for FoP in August no problem, 60+ days out. People need to check later in their planned stay to get them.

We are heading to WDW for President's Day weekend and managed to score FP's for the day we planned for AK ... at 3:30 PM. We additionally plan to arrive before rope drop and try for an early ride as well. In addition we have a Tiffin's ADR on another day so after our 5:00 PM dinner we plan to check out the queues at FOP. The day we are going to AK is an EMH morning day. The site is showing a 7:00AM opening ... guessing it would be best to try a taxi to the park instead of waiting for the bus ... any thoughts?

You did spend an hour of time without doing anything (waiting for the park to open), so I consider that wasted time, don't you? You can do a lot at WDW in an hour!

I personally would not get anything else accomplished at WDW in that hour but possibly sleep, so it isn’t wasted time for me. The only thing one could really be doing at 6, 7, or 8 am is a breakfast ADR, right? The hour before park opening is much better use of time than standing in line an hour (or likely longer) DURING park hours.

The hour before park opening is much better use of time than standing in line an hour (or likely longer) DURING park hours.

For non early risers, there have been plenty of reports of less than 30 minute waits near closing time for FoP. Waiting for 20-30 minutes after the park closes may be an even more efficient use of time than waiting an hour before the park opens.

I was also able to get 7DMT, ToT, TSM, Soarin using the same method during our week. The only one I never saw pop up was Frozen. It almost became a game to see what I could get.

What I'm noticing with this method is that for FOP, when you refresh the app, is going to appear at the top of the options for 2 reasons, it's a tier 1 option and the official name starts with "A" and they list rides in alpha order.

But for Epcot, as an example. FEA would appear much lower in the list. So, for this and others the action is more click a time, scroll down, click a time, scroll down, click a time, scroll down?

But for FOP, it's click a time, click a time, click a time, click a time.

Am I correct? Or is there another, better way to do something like FEA?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter