Road Trip!

jenn&nelsonrego

<marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl
I am super excited!

This is me: :jumping1::jumping1::jumping1:

My Road Trip to Disney is in 48 days. I love the fact that I can say I am going to WDW NEXT MONTH... even though it is still the beginning of May and my trip isnt until the end of June... it still counts! ;)

We will begin our drive a little after midnight on June 27th... The Relay for Life is June 26 (and June 27) and I will be leaving my team in the capable hands of my best friend to take off... We plan to stop in South Carolina for Saturday night and continue on to FL Sunday morning. We check into either SSR or BCV that Sunday (we are there for two weeks and I dont know which one we are at first)...

So my question is this: What do I need to make sure I have for a successful road trip that does not end in divorce? I would like to make the drive part of the vacation, not just a means to get there. We have never driven further than PA or VT so this will be a whole new thing for us... :eek:

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Snacks and drinks.

CD's (Disney :confused3)

And a calculator so you can keep track of how many South of the Border signs you see! :thumbsup2

Pedro Says only 100 miles till South of the Border! :thumbsup2

Pedro Says only 99 miles till South of the Border! :banana:

Pedro Says Popcorn is fun at South of the Border! popcorn::

Mike says do NOT stop at South of the Border! :rotfl2:

dizzy.jpg

Valium!
10s not 5s

So my question is this: What do I need to make sure I have for a successful road trip that does not end in divorce? I would like to make the drive part of the vacation, not just a means to get there. We have never driven further than PA or VT so this will be a whole new thing for us... :eek:

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

You got it in your quote that you want to make the drive part of the vacation. Otherwise it's just a big chore to get there. We have been driving down since 1999. For the last several years of driving we've had the kids with us but even before kids we enjoyed going on road trips together. Do you have any friends that live en route. You don't have to stay with them but maybe you could have dinner or cocktails. Do you and your husband like hanging out in a hot tub. Spring for a room on the way down that has one in the room or just one that's outside. As you'll be traveling in June the pools should be open in SC. Definitely CDs, or books on tape etc.

Before kids, DP and I used to play the rainbow sticker game, kind of like the License plate game but only with rainbow stickers. (It's corny, but we had fun).

Just enjoy every moment. Once you pull out of the driveway, leave all the junk home and just be.

Growing up, my family used to drive down from the Detroit area. They'd want to do some sight-seeing along the way, which meant it was a 3-day trip. It was torture. :sad2:

Then there was the high school band trip. (We were the first marching band to precede the Spectromagic parade when it first premiered! :woohoo:) It was a 24-hour bus ride of pure hell because I didn't sleep at all on the bus.

The drive makes you appreciate the destination a lot more. Some of my personal tippage for the drive:

DOs
--Stop in areas that look different from the area you live in and find a "mom-n-pop" cafe or diner to have lunch/dinner. Not only can you find amazing food this way, but the new environment can also add interest to the adventure.
--Make rest stops when you need them.....'cause you never know when the next stop is coming up, and there are a few stretches of road in Tennessee and Georgia that are pretty secluded. :rolleyes1
--Relax.

DON'Ts
--Don't go overboard by talking about things you'd love to do or plan on doing once you get to WDW. If you wind up not being able to do them it can lead to unnecessary disappointment. (Example: "Awwwww......I didn't get to get Cinderella's autograph.")
--Don't drive for more than 3 hours without taking a short break. This can lead to crankiness and becoming fidgety.
--Don't run over deer. It's just not cool.

We like to check out a couple of non musical CDs to listen to on the way as well. We usually get one short audiobook, one or two comedy albums and something like David Sedaris essays. Nothing that will keep us from talking for hours on end. Instead, we look for things that will give us something to talk about:thumbsup2

Have FUN:goodvibes We get to go to Disneyland Paris for the first time ever leaving Saturday and being at the parks when they open Sunday and I am sooooo excited, so I know the feeling:goodvibes

Well depending on what time you hit PA and what part of PA, we could always meet up!!!!!

We like to check out a couple of non musical CDs to listen to on the way as well. We usually get one short audiobook, one or two comedy albums and something like David Sedaris essays. Nothing that will keep us from talking for hours on end. Instead, we look for things that will give us something to talk about:thumbsup2

Have FUN:goodvibes We get to go to Disneyland Paris for the first time ever leaving Saturday and being at the parks when they open Sunday and I am sooooo excited, so I know the feeling:goodvibes

Have fun at Disneyland Paris! The Disneyland park is beautiful! I think their castle is my favorite.

Pedro Says only 100 miles till South of the Border! :thumbsup2

Pedro Says only 99 miles till South of the Border! :banana:

Pedro Says Popcorn is fun at South of the Border! popcorn::

Mike says do NOT stop at South of the Border! :rotfl2:

Oh! Dear Lord... :scared1: Note to self: No stopping at South of the Border.

dizzy.jpg

Valium!
10s not 5s

Can I substitute Tylenol PM? :confused3

Just enjoy every moment. Once you pull out of the driveway, leave all the junk home and just be.

Will DO! :thumbsup2

DOs
--Stop in areas that look different from the area you live in and find a "mom-n-pop" cafe or diner to have lunch/dinner. Not only can you find amazing food this way, but the new environment can also add interest to the adventure. We will definitely do this, I love small, local places.
--Make rest stops when you need them.....'cause you never know when the next stop is coming up, and there are a few stretches of road in Tennessee and Georgia that are pretty secluded. :rolleyes1 Check!
--Relax. Double Check!

DON'Ts
--Don't go overboard by talking about things you'd love to do or plan on doing once you get to WDW. If you wind up not being able to do them it can lead to unnecessary disappointment. (Example: "Awwwww......I didn't get to get Cinderella's autograph.") OK
--Don't drive for more than 3 hours without taking a short break. This can lead to crankiness and becoming fidgety. This is a definite especially since I hope to be PG, rest stops are a must!
--Don't run over deer. It's just not cool.I hope that we manage to not do this. I swerve to avoid pigeons and squirells!

We like to check out a couple of non musical CDs to listen to on the way as well.

We are thinking of activating the XM radio in the car...

Well depending on what time you hit PA and what part of PA, we could always meet up!!!!!

:thumbsup2

Have fun at Disneyland Paris! The Disneyland park is beautiful! I think their castle is my favorite.

Yes, have a blast at Disneyland Paris! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

Unfortunatly I think Pedro had too many Taco's at South of the Border!

pedro.jpg

I thought the tacos were okay. Isn't it the water you need to watch out for? :confused3

Yes, have a blast at Disneyland Paris! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

Thanks:goodvibesWe are very excited and NEED the break from stress (currently evicting dead beat tenants long distance, figuring out DDs needed oral surgery with a surgeon who does not speak English--my German leaves much to be desired, etc.)

I am totally excited to see that castle (I hear it has a dungeon with a dragonprincess:) and also their version of Haunted Mansion. Someone from the kids' school told me today it is "okay but you can do everything worth doing in a day." I put no stock in her opinion--she is thinks AK is a half day park at most:rolleyes: It will be a budget trip--no sit down meals (see eviction comment above:sad2:) but it has to be fun--we can go to WDW and never ride a ride and have a blast (like most people here, right?). Rob, if you have any tips please PM them (or post them, but I hate to take over Jenn's thread--this one hasn't gone astray yet:rolleyes1)

Jenn--another tip--if you stop somewhere you love (to eat or whatnot) on the way to WDW, mark it in the atlas/save it in the GPS so you can find it on the way home if you want to. You will think you can remember it, but after a week of pixie dust you probably won't.

I am totally excited to see that castle (I hear it has a dungeon with a dragonprincess:) and also their version of Haunted Mansion. Someone from the kids' school told me today it is "okay but you can do everything worth doing in a day." I put no stock in her opinion--she is thinks AK is a half day park at most:rolleyes: It will be a budget trip--no sit down meals (see eviction comment above:sad2:) but it has to be fun--we can go to WDW and never ride a ride and have a blast (like most people here, right?). Rob, if you have any tips please PM them (or post them, but I hate to take over Jenn's thread--this one hasn't gone astray yet:rolleyes1)

The Phantom Manor is very cool as well! The only tip I'll give you about the Disney park is what I'd say about all of them. Don't rush through it and miss the details. Enjoy it, soak it up, it's a magical place. Why run past the beauty because you're trying to keep to a schedule? :confused3

The other big tip is that if you've got the time/resources visit Paris! As much as we loved Disneyland Paris, the next trip will focus MUCH more on the City of Lights itself. We fell in love with it. Riding up the Eiffel Tower at twilight and watching the city lights come on was one of the most amazing and romantic things I've ever done in my life!

Thanks:goodvibesWe are very excited and NEED the break from stress (currently evicting dead beat tenants long distance, figuring out DDs needed oral surgery with a surgeon who does not speak English--my German leaves much to be desired, etc.)

:headache: Bummer! Hope things get better

but I hate to take over Jenn's thread--this one hasn't gone astray yet:rolleyes1)

Whatev! It doesn't bother me when my threads get hijacked... ;)

Jenn--another tip--if you stop somewhere you love (to eat or whatnot) on the way to WDW, mark it in the atlas/save it in the GPS so you can find it on the way home if you want to. You will think you can remember it, but after a week of pixie dust you probably won't.

:thumbsup2 Excellent idea! I will definitely do that! :worship:

Oh! and it will be TWO weeks of Pizie Dust :dance3::dance3::dance3:

So I made my ADRs today and I have to say that for making them so late ~ I did pretty well... Managed to get dinner ressies at Coral Reef, Yachtsman, Rose and Crown, Nine Dragons, and for the clambake at Cape May Cafe... Breakfast ressies at Chef Mickeys and Tusker House... The only one that I was disapointed about was (no surprise here) Le Cellier... really wanted a dinner res, but at least managed to secure a lunch one! Still want a dinner one and may try Member Services again in the future to see if I can get one, but... So, all in all I am happy with my ADR's... Now Nelson and I have to just take a look at what we have and fill in the blanks... any suggestions? Any Floridians (or anyone down there at that time) want to meet up for drinks?

Oh! and Nelson finally made our hotel res for the fri and sat between our two weeks (if you know DVC then you know it is ridiculously expensive ~ in points ~ in points to stay on a friday and saturday night, we practically got the whole second week for what it would have cost for the fri and sat) We will be staying at the Port Orleans - French Quarter($119 per night AP price). We have never even been there. Any good? Any suggestions?

Holy crap... a Disney planning thread... this needs to stop! :lmao:

So I made my ADRs today and I have to say that for making them so late ~ I did pretty well... Managed to get dinner ressies at Coral Reef, Yachtsman, Rose and Crown, Nine Dragons, and for the clambake at Cape May Cafe... Breakfast ressies at Chef Mickeys and Tusker House... The only one that I was disapointed about was (no surprise here) Le Cellier... really wanted a dinner res, but at least managed to secure a lunch one! Still want a dinner one and may try Member Services again in the future to see if I can get one, but... So, all in all I am happy with my ADR's... Now Nelson and I have to just take a look at what we have and fill in the blanks... any suggestions? Any Floridians (or anyone down there at that time) want to meet up for drinks?

Oh! and Nelson finally made our hotel res for the fri and sat between our two weeks (if you know DVC then you know it is ridiculously expensive ~ in points ~ in points to stay on a friday and saturday night, we practically got the whole second week for what it would have cost for the fri and sat) We will be staying at the Port Orleans - French Quarter($119 per night AP price). We have never even been there. Any good? Any suggestions?

You're going to LOVE the Yachtsman steakhouse! As for suggestions. . . have you tried Jiko or Boma yet? Both are excellent, and I hear that Sanna (at Kidani Village) is very good. While you're staying at Saratoga Springs, eat at the Turf Club Bar and Grill! They make an awesome Mint Julep, the calamari and crab cakes are both wonderful, and the entrees and desserts are very good too. It's one of our favorites. We really do consider it a "hidden gem"

Don't rush through it and miss the details. Enjoy it, soak it up, it's a magical place. Why run past the beauty because you're trying to keep to a schedule? :confused3

The other big tip is that if you've got the time/resources visit Paris! As much as we loved Disneyland Paris, the next trip will focus MUCH more on the City of Lights itself. We fell in love with it. Riding up the Eiffel Tower at twilight and watching the city lights come on was one of the most amazing and romantic things I've ever done in my life!

Your advice is pretty much how I live my life and certainly how we vacation especially at Disney:thumbsup2

We do want to visit Paris. As Paris is now only a 5 hour drive from us (and the big perk we have here is the company car includes ALL of our gas we want to treat Paris as a seperate vacation from Disney Paris. My mom is comming in September and has always wanted to see Paris so we chose to do DLP on this trip and Paris in the fall.

2 weeks of pixie dust--lucky girl:goodvibes
Port Orleans French Quarter is my favourite resort:goodvibes We stayed there on our honeymoon and again on our last trip. It is so quiet and romantic there. The bar in the lobby often has a jazz band in the evening--nice to sit and have a drink and listen.
Fill in the blanks ideas: Yak and Yeti at AK. There is a pineapple and ceram cheese dessert thing which I adore. We like to get the very last reservation of the day and then you are leaving after park close and can enjoy walking out of the park in near solitude.
If you want to Splurge, Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge is a great place:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter