Road Trip! (Into the Unknown…) - Mar. 2020 ~ Updated 4/2/21: Complete, One Year Later, Video Epilogue

Don't feel bad about feeling bad. We ended up driving home instead of flying on our last day at Universal on Thanksgiving. The afternoon and night before I had chills and a fever of 100. It was still below what they would allow in the park (100.4), but I never run a fever unless I'm sick. We decided to see what it was and how I felt in the morning. Woke up early, and it was still 100. Decided to sleep in a little and drive home instead of flying. Right before we got into the car to leave, I took it again, and it was 98.4. I hadn't taken any tylenol or anything. I figured it was coming and going, but I never had a fever for weeks after that, nor any covid symptoms :confused3 We were self-quaranting for 2 weeks when we got back anyway. The drive home was scary, because I had to use the bathroom (FL->TX). People would stand right next to me in line for the bathroom, no distancing. I had my mask, but I was thinking that anyone could have it, and you wouldn't know.
Oh, wow, that story is super relatable! Feeling a little off and just not knowing for sure + being forced to be around others when trying to get home to isolate. It's just the worst feeling. So glad we have the masks now and know a little more about virus transmission now...it all felt so risky and mysterious a year ago. But still, as you said, it's nerve-wracking to know anyone could have it.

First of all - that power outage! :faint: I can't even. At least turn it off during the day while most people aren't in their rooms... at night almost EVERYONE is in their room!

Sounds like y'all were making the best out of things and trying to take precautions when possible. It was - and still is - so hard to make decisions about what's "safe" and what's not. All we can do is what we determine is best for us 🤷‍♀️ For us that's been staying home as much as possible... and yet I still get anxious whenever I get overheated and my temp is slightly elevated.
Oh my gosh, I couldn't believe they didn't do it during the day. I thought the same thing as you and was just amazed at their poor planning. It really was a lousy hotel stay.

Yes, that's exactly it - you just have to do your best to make good decisions with the information you have, but it was so tough a year ago when the information was spotty and inconsistent. It's still hard now. Like you, we have chosen to stay safe at home...that driving-home-from-FL anxiety (up next) was enough to make us never want to feel like that again.

What Will We Do?

Dug was apparently up in the middle of the night dealing with the CPAP power issue :sad2: :

I was apparently up by 8am and checking out the lovely view:

And also learning about the future of our Annual Passes:

Just a couple little weeks! LOL :laughing::rotfl2::rotfl:

We had our last park day scheduled today and it was a pretty good one: EMH at MK, then FP for all three mountains (9:15am Space, 10:20am Big Thunder, and 11:50am Splash), then hop to Epcot on the monorail for our bonus FP (2pm Nemo, 3pm Mission Space, 4pm Test Track) and some good food too, I’m sure. It was the only Magic Kingdom day of this trip, since we just couldn’t seem to fit it in with all the new stuff at DHS (but we did go to MNSSHP the prior September for Izzy’s birthday, so had some MK time then).

But we all woke up this day feeling like it was best to (heartbreakingly) skip it and get an early start on our journey home. Both Dug and I felt like our breathing was not great (using inhalers a lot…and I almost never use mine normally) and even Izzy felt okay about heading out early. The mood had changed a lot in the last couple days. Dug had been talking virus doom and gloom all week, but I had pushed on with optimism right up until I felt sick. We felt like it would be irresponsible to show up at the parks that day on the small chance we could have Covid (spoiler – it wasn’t, but there was no way to know at that time). So, we got packed up for the long drive ahead.

Dug went down to the front desk to return the battery device and asked about cancelling our last night (we had used Chase Ultimate Rewards points for it). They said it was no problem and we could have our points back and cancelled the next night’s reservation. I mean, Disney had just announced they were closing, so I’m sure a ton of people were cancelling nights - they weren't surprised. We never did end up getting our points back, because apparently Chase needs to actually speak to someone at the hotel to confirm and the hotel had closed by the time we were able to get through to Chase (they were overloaded with people calling to change travel plans), never to reopen again. Oh, well, it wasn’t that many points and now we have a ton from not traveling for a year. But it was annoying.

We also changed our Nashville night on the drive home to be a day earlier, so we could check in this night, which went well (using Hyatt points and no problem changing that date). And, sadly, we hit the road – anxious to be home during this crazy and uncertain time.

Oh, and I got a text from my boss at work telling me that I had to talk to HR before coming into the office because they had started screening all travelers and encouraging remote work. Instead, I just offered to work from home at least for the next week and he easily agreed. Turns out I meant at least the next year, haha. :rotfl:

We took very few pictures on our drive, but it looks like we crossed the border around lunchtime:

Made it to Atlanta around dinnertime:

That photo reminds me – you can see the little EpassXtra deal on the windshield. We don’t have tolls in MN, but we knew we’d be driving on toll roads in IL, GA, and FL this trip, so I got this thing that covered all three states so that we didn’t have to stop at any of them. It worked well, other than GA trying to send me a bill (because we took all the toll options to get past Atlanta quickly on the way home), but Epass got it fixed up. I think they might not offer this same device anymore, but something similar, not sure. I don’t know if it saved us any money, but it was just handy so that we’d have one less thing to think about/waste time with while driving. :thumbsup2

It was dark by the time we got to Tennessee:

And blurry, haha. :laughing:

I don’t where we stopped to eat, but we were very minimal on stops, unlike the drive down. We literally stopped to get gas (pay at pump), use the restroom (preferably deserted rest stops or empty gas stations), and get fast food (drive-through only). That’s it. I see we had charges from Wendy’s, Starbucks, Taco Bell, Culver’s, and Panda Express in the two days of driving (yeah, we drove down in 2.5 days and back in just 2). The only one I actually remember is Culver’s – I just remember feeling terrible handing my credit card to the girl at the drive-through, hoping I didn’t have Covid that I was passing along to her and her family, etc. It’s a terrible feeling to not know for sure in an environment where panic is high and you can’t just stay at home because you’re 2 days away.

The main thing I remember from the drive is constantly holding the seatbelt away from myself while driving because it helped me breathe better. That was weird. I’ve never had that experience before, where the seatbelt felt too tight to get deep breaths. Dug and I basically drove home using inhalers and trying to stay awake. Even though this wasn’t fun, it wasn’t the worst illness ever or anything. Had Covid not been a thing, we probably would have finished our trip on schedule and not been too worried while driving back. But, at this point, there were not many articles out there yet from Covid survivors and the ones I’d seen had been very clear that they weren’t too sick, thought they were feeling better, then BAM got knocked down terribly :faint: – that’s what was scaring me the most – would either of us suddenly go downhill fast this far from home? Plus, we were hearing asthma was a potential risk factor in severe disease. So much anxiety on that drive. :worried:

Izzy was fine. On the drive TO Florida, she’d had a tiny bit of a sniffle, but I hadn’t thought anything of it at the time – I mean, she was in first grade and after school care – colds and sniffles were common. In retrospect, I wonder if we caught/got sick from whatever she had while on our trip? But who knows?

The reason I know it wasn’t Covid (I can say with 99% certainty, at least) is because we arrived back in MN during a brief window of time where our clinic was doing drive-through testing if you’d potentially been exposed to Covid and they accepted Disney World as an exposure, so we both got tested within a couple days of coming home. Both still symptomatic and both tested by different people on different days through different labs. Both negative. Our doctors also set us up for antibody tests a few months later and both of those were negative too. It seems unlikely all 4 tests would be negative if we weren’t really negative. But we still have no idea what we were sick with. Dug was fortunate to have a nebulizer at home for emergencies and used the heck out of that for about a week or so. I just burned through an inhaler that I barely ever use, but it never quite felt fully effective. We both felt like we had colds with impaired breathing (thanks, asthma) and I had a low-grade temperature (99s, sometimes 100) for a couple weeks. When I did a virtual appointment with my allergist later in 2020, he mentioned that 2020 had also been a really bad year for colds, besides just Covid. So, I guess chalk it up to that, but what a nasty cold. :sick:

And that’s part of why we have been suuuuuuper careful for the last year – if we got that sick from non-Covid, I don’t want to see us with Covid. :scared1: We literally have done curbside pickup for everything, Izzy’s done school entirely from home, we’ve both worked only from home, we do regular Zooms with family, etc. But, I do feel hope on the horizon. Dug’s first vaccine was a couple days ago and I’m hoping for one in the next couple months. We’re getting there.

But, speaking of getting there, we got to our Nashville Hyatt Place and were happy to crash for the night after a long day of driving. But first, I pulled out our stash of Lysol wipes and scrubbed the place down (and again before we left). We were a little more casual on the way down, but not now. Oh, and the room looked exactly like the one I showed a picture of on the way down, so no pictures this time.

Up Next: Can We Make It Home?

I can't imagine how stressful that must have been getting home! It was such a strange time, no one really knew what was going on or now serious things were! Sounds like you made the right decision to head home. Even without it being Covid driving home sick is no fun!

I can't imagine how stressful that must have been getting home! It was such a strange time, no one really knew what was going on or now serious things were! Sounds like you made the right decision to head home. Even without it being Covid driving home sick is no fun!
Thanks, all so true!

Can We Make It Home?

We woke up the next morning feeling about the same and ready to get home. It would be a long day, all the way from Nashville to MN. We had the time to take an extra night or two to split up the drive, but we just wanted to be home, in case this illness got worse. So, a long day it would be. Izzy still wore a Disney dress, despite cutting our trip short:

This day had some not-as-pleasant driving weather:

But, we did score FedEx points, lol:

At some point in the trip, we actually drove by a whole FedEx facility, with trucks filling the parking lot. We scored lots of bonus road trip points. :rotfl:

We apparently ran into a gas station for a restroom stop and Izzy loved these (she actually has a few because her swimming lesson place has a display in the lobby):

We did not take many pictures this day. It was just driving, driving, driving, along with the occasional stop for food, gas, or restrooms. We switched off driving and resting, but at some point that evening, Dug and I both found ourselves very tired. 😴 We stopped in some hotel’s parking lot for a while to rest. Considered getting a hotel room, but after a little car-napping, we decided to keep forging onward. Sometimes, a little catnap is all you need. We were very motivated to get home, concerned that we might feel worse the next day and wanting to be home in case that happened.

I think it was this day (or maybe the day prior) that we stopped at one point to listen to the news because we wanted to know if school was going to be in session (we were hoping not, given the mystery illness we had and all). It was indeed called off for the next couple weeks, while teachers prepared to shift to distance learning for (what would be) the rest of the year. We spent the next couple weeks finding all sorts of enrichment activities for Izzy online – and there were a lot offered during that time. :thumbsup2

At some point while driving, we called my Grandma to let her know that we were fine, but wouldn’t be stopping by to see her again on our way home. She understood and said her assisted living facility wasn’t allowing guests anyway. Still sad to drive past Madison without seeing her. :sad1:

Based on the time of this terrible picture, I’d say there’s probably a "Welcome to Minnesota” sign in there somewhere:

We made it home safely, at 2am. Izzy had been a great passenger, considering the really un-fun road trip home. She was sound asleep when we pulled into the garage:

You can see the Culver’s evidence and the road trip snacks and amusement there. :hyper:

Eight hours later, I had already gotten an appointment to be tested for Covid. I think Dug waited another day. It took about a week to get our test results back, so that was nerve-wracking, but both were negative. We did continue to feel sick for a while, though. Not so sick we couldn’t work remotely, but we were anxious to start breathing deeply again. We did finally feel better, thank goodness.

And that was our wild week, one year ago. Since then, life has been a lot different. In many ways, we have been the most shut-in people we know: only curbside, virtual school, remote work, etc. But we have tried to make it fun – I got outside for tons of walks, we took family “weekend road trips” until the weather got too wintery (just a few hours to safely see different local sights), we took occasional cheese-obtaining trips to Ellsworth Creamery in WI (mmm, fresh cheese curds, "curd-side"!), played a lot of Frisbee, did a lot of kite-flying, and a bunch of sledding this winter, among many other things.

But it does feel hopeful at this point to me. With Dug having vaccine #1 down and the promise of vaccines for everyone in the next couple months, I have hopes of a summer with more opportunities. But I think we’ll keep some of the traditions we started in 2020 – like, cheese! 🧀 I hope to add back some things too, when it feels safe enough. Izzy was just talking tonight about how she wants to get back into swimming lessons – she loves the water and was doing so well. Hoping maybe later this summer I’ll feel comfortable with that risk. The biggest goal we have right now is a late-August Disney trip, staying at our friend’s gorgeous Florida house that you saw here, along with a couple other mom friends and kids. Izzy and I are so excited about this possibility, but with the wild ride the last year has been, we’re cautiously enthusiastic. Really hoping for the best in 2021…for all of you as well! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing this journey with me!

I feel your sadness in deciding to come home early, but I totally get it. Had we driven we probably would have done the same thing. Proud of Izzy for being so mature and agreeing it was for the best. That is so hard for a kid her age. Kids have handled so much disappointment in stride, it makes me proud and sad. My friends niece was SOOOO excited for Taylor Swift, but understood when it was cancelled, didn't even cry.

The main thing I remember from the drive is constantly holding the seatbelt away from myself while driving because it helped me breathe better. That was weird. I’ve never had that experience before, where the seatbelt felt too tight to get deep breaths.
I wonder if this was just anxiety related? I remember I was in my office early April (one of the few times, but I needed access to the scanner for our year end audit), and I was eating a peanut butter sandwich when my friend texted me her husband and mom were both covid positive. I had what I now know, was a panic attack, but thought I was having an allergic reaction peanut butter! The mind plays tricks on us. I ended up having panic attacks almost daily from that point until the day the baby was born (3 weeks early, probably due to pandemic related stress).

Dug’s first vaccine was a couple days ago and I’m hoping for one in the next couple months. We’re getting there.
Such a major relief. I just had an interview with one of the Covid vaccine companies, didn't get the job (little bummed because it is a really great company that is helping the world, would have loved to be a part of that), but it was amazing talking to them and getting some insight on their process. I am now fully vaccinated, and feel a major weight off my shoulders. Just waiting on my husbands group to open up! Things will get better. I really believe it.

Despite the challenges I really enjoyed your report! I am sorry about the cruddy hotel. I give you credit for sticking it out! I would have fled! My husband and our two friends are all going to Disney in May for an adults only weekend, you have me very excited for DHS. I have not been in years! We have an Oga's reservation so will be interesting to see how they social distance it.

Thanks for writing this! I hope you are able to go write and back date some old reports!

Finally caught up again! So fun to see the parks so full, but also so scary. The one big thing I noticed was the Preshow to Mickey and Minnie's- they weren't doing it in October...

I really hope our August trip is able to happen! I also have one shot in, anxiously awaiting the 2nd!

Thank you for taking us on this adventure!

we have been the most shut-in people we know: only curbside, virtual school, remote work, etc.

I understand what you mean by this. It's been sort of fascinating watching how the U.S. is handling it while living and following the U.K.'s guidelines. It's definitely like night and day! Right now, the U.K. is still in their third national lockdown, so we haven't gone to shops, ate out, or had extracurricular activates since last March. There was a brief period in the summer where outdoor English Heritage sites were open, so that helped entertain us a lot during that time. When people in the states ask us what we've been up to, we have to remind them constantly, "Nothing! We're staying home!" :rotfl:

I know I didn't comment on all the updates, but I read your entire trip. What a crazy time! I cannot imagine what that experience must have been like for you guys. To watch as everything turned on a dime, all while you are on vacation and supposed to be having fun. I guess you can say it was certainly memorable....
Alex passed by the computer as I was reading your droid building update. He had no clue you could do that at Galaxy's Edge and now him and Evie are very excited to try it out themselves. He said it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm glad the boarding groups worked well for you and you got to ride ROR twice. That's awesome.
And wow, the view of Toppolina's balcony looked stunning.

I really hope our August trip is able to happen!

What?! Oh, that's so exciting for you guys! I really hope it works out. If the U.K. ever lets us out, I'd love to coordinate trip dates while you all are there, as well! (Obviously, I'm referring to way down the road, here. lol) My kids still remember spending time with Izzy in DLP, and I think they'd have just as much fun with your three. :goodvibes

Can We Make It Home?

We woke up the next morning feeling about the same and ready to get home. It would be a long day, all the way from Nashville to MN. We had the time to take an extra night or two to split up the drive, but we just wanted to be home, in case this illness got worse. So, a long day it would be. Izzy still wore a Disney dress, despite cutting our trip short:

This day had some not-as-pleasant driving weather:

But, we did score FedEx points, lol:

At some point in the trip, we actually drove by a whole FedEx facility, with trucks filling the parking lot. We scored lots of bonus road trip points. :rotfl:

We apparently ran into a gas station for a restroom stop and Izzy loved these (she actually has a few because her swimming lesson place has a display in the lobby):

We did not take many pictures this day. It was just driving, driving, driving, along with the occasional stop for food, gas, or restrooms. We switched off driving and resting, but at some point that evening, Dug and I both found ourselves very tired. 😴 We stopped in some hotel’s parking lot for a while to rest. Considered getting a hotel room, but after a little car-napping, we decided to keep forging onward. Sometimes, a little catnap is all you need. We were very motivated to get home, concerned that we might feel worse the next day and wanting to be home in case that happened.

I think it was this day (or maybe the day prior) that we stopped at one point to listen to the news because we wanted to know if school was going to be in session (we were hoping not, given the mystery illness we had and all). It was indeed called off for the next couple weeks, while teachers prepared to shift to distance learning for (what would be) the rest of the year. We spent the next couple weeks finding all sorts of enrichment activities for Izzy online – and there were a lot offered during that time. :thumbsup2

At some point while driving, we called my Grandma to let her know that we were fine, but wouldn’t be stopping by to see her again on our way home. She understood and said her assisted living facility wasn’t allowing guests anyway. Still sad to drive past Madison without seeing her. :sad1:

Based on the time of this terrible picture, I’d say there’s probably a "Welcome to Minnesota” sign in there somewhere:

We made it home safely, at 2am. Izzy had been a great passenger, considering the really un-fun road trip home. She was sound asleep when we pulled into the garage:

You can see the Culver’s evidence and the road trip snacks and amusement there. :hyper:

Eight hours later, I had already gotten an appointment to be tested for Covid. I think Dug waited another day. It took about a week to get our test results back, so that was nerve-wracking, but both were negative. We did continue to feel sick for a while, though. Not so sick we couldn’t work remotely, but we were anxious to start breathing deeply again. We did finally feel better, thank goodness.

And that was our wild week, one year ago. Since then, life has been a lot different. In many ways, we have been the most shut-in people we know: only curbside, virtual school, remote work, etc. But we have tried to make it fun – I got outside for tons of walks, we took family “weekend road trips” until the weather got too wintery (just a few hours to safely see different local sights), we took occasional cheese-obtaining trips to Ellsworth Creamery in WI (mmm, fresh cheese curds, "curd-side"!), played a lot of Frisbee, did a lot of kite-flying, and a bunch of sledding this winter, among many other things.

But it does feel hopeful at this point to me. With Dug having vaccine #1 down and the promise of vaccines for everyone in the next couple months, I have hopes of a summer with more opportunities. But I think we’ll keep some of the traditions we started in 2020 – like, cheese! 🧀 I hope to add back some things too, when it feels safe enough. Izzy was just talking tonight about how she wants to get back into swimming lessons – she loves the water and was doing so well. Hoping maybe later this summer I’ll feel comfortable with that risk. The biggest goal we have right now is a late-August Disney trip, staying at our friend’s gorgeous Florida house that you saw here, along with a couple other mom friends and kids. Izzy and I are so excited about this possibility, but with the wild ride the last year has been, we’re cautiously enthusiastic. Really hoping for the best in 2021…for all of you as well! :goodvibes

Thank you! it has been a crazy and chaotic time and I appreciate your honesty as well as your fun storytelling! May you all continue to be safe and well! (Also do not feel horrible about leaving early-you made the right call)

Thanks for this trip report, I love reading about your trips! Sorry it got so stressful at the end, though. At least you had a few days to enjoy things at the end of the Before Times. Hopefully 2021 will be healthier and safer for all of us!

That was quiet the ending to your trip. I can't imagine how stress full it must have all been. A blessing and a curse to have driven! A long drive back but at least you were in your own car.

Glad that you are all fine. Let's hope that things return to a new normal soon! I know I am ready!

Just read your whole report while sitting at work in Nashville. I actually manage buildings and on that 3/3/20, had three buildings completely flattened (and sadly had one death). It was so surreal dealing with the tornado recovery and Covid looming. Your trip sounded like a good one mixed in with the stress of not knowing what was about to happen.

I feel your sadness in deciding to come home early, but I totally get it. Had we driven we probably would have done the same thing. Proud of Izzy for being so mature and agreeing it was for the best. That is so hard for a kid her age. Kids have handled so much disappointment in stride, it makes me proud and sad. My friends niece was SOOOO excited for Taylor Swift, but understood when it was cancelled, didn't even cry.

I wonder if this was just anxiety related? I remember I was in my office early April (one of the few times, but I needed access to the scanner for our year end audit), and I was eating a peanut butter sandwich when my friend texted me her husband and mom were both covid positive. I had what I now know, was a panic attack, but thought I was having an allergic reaction peanut butter! The mind plays tricks on us. I ended up having panic attacks almost daily from that point until the day the baby was born (3 weeks early, probably due to pandemic related stress).

Such a major relief. I just had an interview with one of the Covid vaccine companies, didn't get the job (little bummed because it is a really great company that is helping the world, would have loved to be a part of that), but it was amazing talking to them and getting some insight on their process. I am now fully vaccinated, and feel a major weight off my shoulders. Just waiting on my husbands group to open up! Things will get better. I really believe it.

Despite the challenges I really enjoyed your report! I am sorry about the cruddy hotel. I give you credit for sticking it out! I would have fled! My husband and our two friends are all going to Disney in May for an adults only weekend, you have me very excited for DHS. I have not been in years! We have an Oga's reservation so will be interesting to see how they social distance it.

Thanks for writing this! I hope you are able to go write and back date some old reports!
That is definitely a good point about the breathing being possibly anxiety-related. My guess is that was a factor + normal asthma-related breathing impairment from the cold or whatever we had. I remember so much anxiety during that drive - just the not knowing was rough. I'm so sorry you have had to deal with panic attacks - they are awful. So glad you are vaccinated now, but sorry you didn't get that job. I'm still waiting for my turn for the shot, but hoping it's on the horizon. So exciting you have a trip in May! If you haven't seen all the DHS things yet, like us, it really is fun - there's just something exhilarating about brand new attractions. I hope Oga's handles things well - I'd imagine they have to keep parties separate these days. Thanks so much for reading along! I'm considering if I try another report - maybe Alaskan cruise or Izzy's surprise birthday MNSSHP...we'll see...it definitely won't be done as fast as this one, though, haha.

Finally caught up again! So fun to see the parks so full, but also so scary. The one big thing I noticed was the Preshow to Mickey and Minnie's- they weren't doing it in October...

I really hope our August trip is able to happen! I also have one shot in, anxiously awaiting the 2nd!

Thank you for taking us on this adventure!
It really is strange to think that we were there in the very last days of the "what pandemic?" times - the crowds look insane now, but seemed totally reasonable at the time. What a difference a year's perspective makes! That's too bad they weren't doing the preshow to M&M - it seems like that's an important part of the set-up of the story on the ride. Hope your second shot goes well - we have Dug's 4/8 and I'm just going to keep monitoring for the soonest I can get one. Heck, I've even checked if Izzy can get in any trials to get a vaccine, but none in MN. We literally talk about August every day here!

I understand what you mean by this. It's been sort of fascinating watching how the U.S. is handling it while living and following the U.K.'s guidelines. It's definitely like night and day! Right now, the U.K. is still in their third national lockdown, so we haven't gone to shops, ate out, or had extracurricular activates since last March. There was a brief period in the summer where outdoor English Heritage sites were open, so that helped entertain us a lot during that time. When people in the states ask us what we've been up to, we have to remind them constantly, "Nothing! We're staying home!" :rotfl:

I know I didn't comment on all the updates, but I read your entire trip. What a crazy time! I cannot imagine what that experience must have been like for you guys. To watch as everything turned on a dime, all while you are on vacation and supposed to be having fun. I guess you can say it was certainly memorable....
Alex passed by the computer as I was reading your droid building update. He had no clue you could do that at Galaxy's Edge and now him and Evie are very excited to try it out themselves. He said it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm glad the boarding groups worked well for you and you got to ride ROR twice. That's awesome.
And wow, the view of Toppolina's balcony looked stunning.

What?! Oh, that's so exciting for you guys! I really hope it works out. If the U.K. ever lets us out, I'd love to coordinate trip dates while you all are there, as well! (Obviously, I'm referring to way down the road, here. lol) My kids still remember spending time with Izzy in DLP, and I think they'd have just as much fun with your three. :goodvibes
I bet it's so different not being in the U.S. during this! I'm glad you got out to the heritage sites while you could - that's kind-of the level of activity we've done - state/county parks, etc. It's so helpful to get out for a drive, a walk, some scenery, etc. I hope things improve enough that you're able to visit all the places you wanted to while living in the U.K. I know this was a big opportunity for you to explore.

Thanks for reading! It really was the craziest week to be at WDW. Night and day from beginning to end of the trip. I'm thankful we got in a lot of fun, though. The droid building was really cool/fun - not the cheapest, but made a perfect splurge-y gift, since you get an experience + a souvenir out of it.

Yes, I loved that balcony so much. So peaceful and gorgeous up there!

And, yes, if late August happens to be a more travel-friendly time, please get in touch! Izzy still remembers DLP with your kids and she had such a great time (I still picture her and Landon hanging out like they'd known each other forever).

PS - loving your book, up to chapter 32 now and it's hard to put down

Thank you! it has been a crazy and chaotic time and I appreciate your honesty as well as your fun storytelling! May you all continue to be safe and well! (Also do not feel horrible about leaving early-you made the right call)
Thank you so much! It's really been something to relive this trip - it took a while to get to a point that I could even revisit it, but I'm glad I did. You stay safe and well too!

Thanks for this trip report, I love reading about your trips! Sorry it got so stressful at the end, though. At least you had a few days to enjoy things at the end of the Before Times. Hopefully 2021 will be healthier and safer for all of us!
Thank you! It really was the perfect way to end the "before times" lol. I remember in the car on the way back thinking, "I'm either going to really regret this trip or feel really lucky we took this trip when we did, once we know if we have Covid..." Just thankful I can look back on cherished memories of this trip now. Hoping the rest of 2021 brings joy and relief to all.

That was quiet the ending to your trip. I can't imagine how stress full it must have all been. A blessing and a curse to have driven! A long drive back but at least you were in your own car.

Glad that you are all fine. Let's hope that things return to a new normal soon! I know I am ready!
Yes, we were really glad to have the car - I would have had a really hard timing feeling okay about getting on a crowded plane at that point. I totally want to drive again sometime, when it's safe, but have the most leisurely time at it - to make up for this - see all the sights and take several days at least. Someday! I am sure ready for the new normal now too.

Just read your whole report while sitting at work in Nashville. I actually manage buildings and on that 3/3/20, had three buildings completely flattened (and sadly had one death). It was so surreal dealing with the tornado recovery and Covid looming. Your trip sounded like a good one mixed in with the stress of not knowing what was about to happen.
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you were so close to the tornado and devastation. It just sounded awful.

Yes, overall I'd say it was a good trip, but just taken over with stress and anxiety the further it went along. It's definitely a vacation we'll always remember.

Reunion!

But first, more animals:

Oh, and I’d never noticed this poacher truck before:

Back to animals:

We also got to hear a lion roar:

Lion's Roar!

It was a really nice safari! Lots of nice animal viewing, clearly. Then we got a PhotoPass Magic Shot:

Then we went to see the Gorillas:

And the waterfall was nice too:

And then we apparently wandered and checked out the scenery:

And we found my favorite…Dug:

And the famous artsy shot:

And then, it was time to use our Fast Passes for Everest…with friends!! :banana: A little backstory: Izzy attended an in-home daycare during her younger years, starting at 5 months old. We were super blessed because not only did we have an amazing caregiver, but we also had a Disney fan caring for our Disney-loving child. pixiedust: After many years of daycare here in MN, she and her family moved to Florida – and just happened to be within driving distance to Disney! So, they came out to Animal Kingdom that day so we could meet up! It had been quite some time, so we were so happy to see them again :hug: :

They also had managed to get Fast Passes for Everest that overlapped with ours (well, their son had other plans, I guess). So, we got into the queue:

Izzy loves Everest, but @andera42 was a little nervous:

We had a great ride and I love this Photo Pass sooooo much :rotfl2: :

Then we apparently roamed through Dinoland?

Oh, I think we actually rode Triceratops Spin then!

Up Next: Kevin!
What a great day! love these photos from Expedition Everest I would love to meet up again in the future. It's wild to think this was only a year ago!

Hi Dugette!

I really enjoyed reading your TR. It definitely sounded scary bring at WDW during the beginning of the pandemic in the US, but it sounded like you and your family were able to make some nice memories anyways! How great you were finally able to see Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge! The house you also rented was beautiful, and so convenient to everything.

I look forward to reading another TR of your if you write one again soon!

Props to you for writing a whole trip report a year later and remembering so many details!

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't well towards the end of the trip but glad you all made it home safely and COVID free!

What a great day! love these photos from Expedition Everest I would love to meet up again in the future. It's wild to think this was only a year ago!
That Everest Photo Pass is a favorite - what a fun time! Definitely hope we can meet up again at WDW!

Hi Dugette!

I really enjoyed reading your TR. It definitely sounded scary bring at WDW during the beginning of the pandemic in the US, but it sounded like you and your family were able to make some nice memories anyways! How great you were finally able to see Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge! The house you also rented was beautiful, and so convenient to everything.

I look forward to reading another TR of your if you write one again soon!
Hi and thank you so much! It really was a strange trip - we had a lot of fun, got to experience great new things at WDW (and the drive and the house...), but had that nagging worry hanging over us. I'm hoping to write more - maybe this summer, when I don't have school to do after work.

Props to you for writing a whole trip report a year later and remembering so many details!

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't well towards the end of the trip but glad you all made it home safely and COVID free!
Aw, thanks! I can't say I have a great memory, but at least I have a lot of photos and two witnesses to collect memories from, lol. Yes, so glad we stayed COVID-free! We both have our first vaccine doses down now, awaiting the second. Such a relief!

I’ve always enjoyed your trip reports and missed them, but this one was particularly interesting. You very smart to leave WDW when you did. Nice that you could drive home. We once had to make the decision to come home a week early as DH was sick. Paid for our own airfare but recouped it with travel insurance with our doctor’s advice. DH recovered, but after two doctor visits in Florida with no improvement we knew it was time to head home. So glad that you didn’t have Covid and hopefully you’ve got your vaccines now. We’ve got our first one but it will take awhile for the second one as we are in Canada. On one of your trip reports you talked about a little egg cooker for the microwave. Thanks to you we own two of them and they are so handy. Hope you can go to WDW in August. That house is gorgeous!

G
Reunion!

But first, more animals:

Oh, and I’d never noticed this poacher truck before:

Back to animals:

We also got to hear a lion roar:

Lion's Roar!

It was a really nice safari! Lots of nice animal viewing, clearly. Then we got a PhotoPass Magic Shot:

Then we went to see the Gorillas:

And the waterfall was nice too:

And then we apparently wandered and checked out the scenery:

And we found my favorite…Dug:

And the famous artsy shot:

And then, it was time to use our Fast Passes for Everest…with friends!! :banana: A little backstory: Izzy attended an in-home daycare during her younger years, starting at 5 months old. We were super blessed because not only did we have an amazing caregiver, but we also had a Disney fan caring for our Disney-loving child. pixiedust: After many years of daycare here in MN, she and her family moved to Florida – and just happened to be within driving distance to Disney! So, they came out to Animal Kingdom that day so we could meet up! It had been quite some time, so we were so happy to see them again :hug: :

They also had managed to get Fast Passes for Everest that overlapped with ours (well, their son had other plans, I guess). So, we got into the queue:

Izzy loves Everest, but @andera42 was a little nervous:

We had a great ride and I love this Photo Pass sooooo much :rotfl2: :

Then we apparently roamed through Dinoland?

Oh, I think we actually rode Triceratops Spin then!

Up Next: Kevin!
Got to say your pictures are great, especially the one of the male lion. You really look like your having so much fun. We can't wait until we go in November.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter