• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Road Trip comfort level

Request a first floor room?

I am sure everyone is doing that. My guess is the it would be very difficult to get a first floor room. I was shocked at how full a lot of hotels are. We originally looked into a vacation home and most were booked.

No. I wouldn’t go. A road trip to a place with bad covid numbers just seems like a stressful pain in the butt to me right now. And I love a good road trip!

I am sure everyone is doing that. My guess is the it would be very difficult to get a first floor room. I was shocked at how full a lot of hotels are. We originally looked into a vacation home and most were booked.
We are checking out of a vacation home that we booked a year ago, people are staying local and driving places (we live an hour away). I’m looking to book something in September if the kids are online for school. I’m much more comfortable in a vacation home vs. a hotel.

Nope. Because spreading is spreading,whether it's by air, or stops along a road trip,or contact (even hours later from surfaces) throughout each state.(I include hotels in that assessment) So if I leave my state (which WAS a hotspot) to go visit another state now (which IS a hotspot) and then come back home.... what am I doing? Spreading the virus. The risk of travel is not just to me personally,or even what I can see IMHO. I say this as a an AVID traveler. I'm used to 3,4,5 trips in a year. Every year. (not just FL,to lots of places) I kind of wish I had an RV trailer, bc then we could self contain quite literally,and still travel to see other beautiful outdoor places (That I SO want to go see right now) I just can't do it in good conscience.

I think the only way I would travel now is via a "road trip". At the end of last year and very beginning of this year DH and I were considering taking a partial cross country trip, not all the way to CA. I'm so glad I didn't waste a lot of time planning this trip as it wouldn't have happened based on CV19 and now with all the rioting going on I'm glad I'm home.

Lately I have been having the itch to go someplace. If we did go somewhere I was thinking about renting a class C camper and going someplace like Lake Placid NY. I live in NJ and NY is one of the few states not on our travel advisory at the moment. I would feel safe in a camper as I would be using my own bedding and pillows. I can't even begin to imagine putting my head / face on a pillow that was used by someone else...germ central! The only draw back to this plan is if we want to sightsee we would have to drive the camper which means battening down the hatches...can't tow a 2nd vehicle when renting a camper and if you could you would probable only get 3 miles (?) to the gallon of gas...very expensive way to travel...Oh well one can always dream...

Renting a cabin/lake house might be another option. I will have to look into that!

Happy traveling! :tink:

I would be comfortable. I took a trip earlier in July and brought Clorox wipes to wipe down my hotel room and I already eat take out about once a week at home so I wasn’t concerned about eating food at a restaurant in a different city.

HOWEVER, no matter how comfortable other are, it’s your comfort that matters. Are YOU okay eating take out? Are YOU comfortable staying in a hotel now?

Yep, just got back from Nags Head. We rented an 8 br house with 11 bathrooms, there were 20 of us. It's the one time a year all the siblings and their kids get together. The house had a pool, and we had so much fun with all the kids all week. I'm not big on restaurants anyway, so we cooked every night except 2, where we got takeout. Traffic was really crazy all week. I've heard the whole Outer Banks is booked this entire summer, and it certainly looked like it.

We're considering a road trip to Rocky Mountain National park in September. I could sure use a dose of the vast wilderness.

My family of four drove round trip from NC to Washington to help my sister-in-law move within the same Seattle suburb. The trip started June 29th and ended July 21st. We visited Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone NP on the way out and stayed at a lake house for two weeks before heading back. I monitored the new Covid cases by county along our route, we used Clorox wipes and packed meals/sandwiches. During the trip, my wife became comfortable getting fast food takeout, if she saw that all the employees (including cooks) wore masks. Hotel personnel wore masks, elevators had signs and rooms seemed cleaner than they were pre-pandemic. We were worried as we started the trip, but we all noticed vast improvements in our mental state as a result of making the road trip. I also noticed more mask-wearing in public on the return leg compared to the outbound leg.

Ever since I read about this event in China, I've been scared to ride in an elevator during the pandemic. The concept of toilet plume has made me want to avoid public toilets as much as possible until the pandemic is over. Until the pandemic, I was pretty laid back about such things.

I probably wouldn’t do a multi state road trip right now, but have traveled around my own state and stayed in hotels and eaten take out. It was either go out and about or risk my mental health staring at the same four walls all the time. Travel is my way of reducing stress under normal circumstances and has been twice as necessary the past couple months.

Yep, just got back from Nags Head. We rented an 8 br house with 11 bathrooms, there were 20 of us. It's the one time a year all the siblings and their kids get together. The house had a pool, and we had so much fun with all the kids all week. I'm not big on restaurants anyway, so we cooked every night except 2, where we got takeout. Traffic was really crazy all week. I've heard the whole Outer Banks is booked this entire summer, and it certainly looked like it.
Just got home from the shore, rented a beachfront 8 bedroom 7 bathroom home with my sister and her family, plus 2 boyfriends, 13 all together. Cooked and did takeout. We were actually looking at rental properties fir the end of August, even September was looking pretty full.

Would you be comfortable taking a road trip during these covid times? The destination would be a state with bad covid numbers (don't have exact destination yet, but would be one of a handful of states with lots of cases). I would feel a little safer because we would not be flying. But, we would have to stay in a hotel and eat take out. We would probably bring our own breakfast foods so only lunch and dinner for take out. The hotel does not bother me too much because I could bring wipes and lysol and most hotels are not doing maid service so we would be the only ones in the room.

Most of the activities would be outdoor type stuff like beaches, hiking, sight seeing etc. so no museums or indoor stuff. I am tossed. Would you be comfortable doing this as a family?
I would be quicker to "say yes" to renting a house /cabin and staying in it for a whole week rather than a road trip, which to me means a new hotel every night (or every couple nights). Taking the risk once makes more sense than taking the same risk multiple times.
Thoughts:
- Every time you go into a new hotel, you're taking "the big risk" all over again. Yes, you can give the room a wipe-down, but you are taking on some risk.
- I'd consider bringing my own pillows and blankets /remove the hotel's comforters. No problem with sheets, which are washed between customers.
- I read somewhere that hotels that offer breakfast are using a "Grab and Go bag" instead of the usual gathering /self-serve.
- I'm not afraid of picking up take-out food here at home, so I wouldn't mind it "on the road". I've read several times that no one has contracted the virus from eating prepared food from a restaurant.
- We have gone here and there to hike a couple times, taking a picnic lunch in our packs. We've gone on weekdays and have seen fewer than a dozen people at the busiest site. I felt quite safe doing this.
We don’t want to have to deal with getting stuck somewhere or unable to stay somewhere because of that.
That's a scary thought: If you're away from home, and you become ill, you could be in a mess. I'll amend what I said in the above post to, I'd consider renting a house /cabin somewhere in my own state. If one family member fell ill, the others could immediately drive the family home.
Request a first floor room?
A good plan.

That's a scary thought: If you're away from home, and you become ill, you could be in a mess. I'll amend what I said in the above post to, I'd consider renting a house /cabin somewhere in my own state. If one family member fell ill, the others could immediately drive the family home.
A good plan.

This is a big worry of mine. Like I stated earlier a friend of mine who was in the car crash is in another state in the hospital all by herself and will probably be there for 2 months and may be paralyzed. Its scary for her and her family.

I have had to take three little road trips (less than 500 miles each way) to take care of things for my parents so far during COVID 19. (Normally I go every 3rd week and would have taken 7 trips during that time, but I've only gone for emergencies since I only see them waving through a window otherwise.) I thought that was really the only reason I would travel right now and have done so with minimal stops and all safety measures in place -- BUT, we did end up stopping for one night at a beach on the way home to have a "vacation" break this last trip. We really debated over it, but ended up feeling very comfortable. Beaches in the PNW aren't crowded the way southern beaches are so that wasn't an issue, though we did make sure to do midweek to a beach no where near a big city. Masks are mandated. We felt like the motel went above and beyond to make us feel safe - we stayed in one with exterior doors and did take out for food. We ended up wishing we had been able to stay longer. It was the least crowded we've seen in the summer in a long time. We were actually able to take the dog off her leash and let her run because we were literally alone on the beach. We even ate inside a restaurant (way out in the boonies) for the first time since the beginning of March.

Last edited:
Just got home from the shore, rented a beachfront 8 bedroom 7 bathroom home with my sister and her family, plus 2 boyfriends, 13 all together. Cooked and did takeout. We were actually looking at rental properties fir the end of August, even September was looking pretty full.
Yes, rental properties in Virginia Beach seem to be super booked all summer and into fall. We were thinking about trying to rent 3 nights over Labor Day, but not sure they'll release 3 night stays since the schools are now mostly virtual. I'm thinking they may do weekly bookings only well into fall, which is unheard of usually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter