• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

we never found out which other resort was an option. I know some others seem to think that should have ended the discussion but for our circumstances it was 10 pm on Christmas Eve when they knocked on our door and told us. maybe others would have happily taken that offer and resolved this but in our situation we simply didn’t feel like packing up at that time and on that day. Our plan was to have a relaxing Christmas (and we have) which would’ve been clearly impacted by that move.

I know you said you usually don't ask for such things but you should really request at least a 50% refund for the inconvenience. This should not happen, especially at a deluxe resort. Try sending an email when you get back home, if you don't feel like dealing with it while vacationing.

Where did you see these rooms for $300 a night? Was there a blowout sale? :lol: It's insane what Disney is charging for these rooms, especially over Christmas. Even with DVC points, it's expensive. I'm booked in a 1-BR for February and they're charging over $1k a night for the same room in cash and I think that's with a FL Res/AP discount.
I rounded down cause I didn’t want anyone to say I was exaggerating and being dramatic! I was also too lazy to check rates and knew there was a really good Disney visa offer but couldn’t remember if that started now or in Jan. It still blows my mind that they charge so much more for these rooms than those on crescent lake that are walking distance to the park.

We are staying there the end of January. I certainly hope they have this fixed by then because we need all 3 sleeping surfaces and I'll be danged if I'm gonna sleep on the floor at a resort that costs this much.

I can't believe people are defending Disney's handing of RR. Of course they should offer to move people to rooms with enough beds -- that's the minimum Disney should do. That offer doesn't deserve praise or excuse all of the missteps wrt RR. Disney is charging premium prices and should be held to the same standards as any other hotel charging that much. We aren't talking about the refrigerators not working ... the beds aren't safe (beds they preened about in their promotion of RR). This is a pretty big screw up and as long as people are willing to give Disney slack, Disney is going to take it and standards will continue to decline.
I think your misreading posts. I don't think anyone here has praised Disney for having beds that are not functioning. I'm not one to give large corporations excuses, but I do think that like with anything new, there can expect to be some bumps in the road early on.

I just called out the poster who's original claim was that Disney's solution was to provide an air mattress, but completley left out the fact that they offered to move them to another resort. Unfortunately, Disney is not Universal. They don't have a Deloreon time machine. What's done is done. They can't go back and fix all of the beds before opening the resort. But what they have done is offered to fix the situation to the best of their ability. I'm not sure of their ability to hand out compensation in the way of points given that they don't generally own them, but perhaps they could have.

I think your misreading posts. I don't think anyone here has praised Disney for having beds that are not functioning. I'm not one to give large corporations excuses, but I do think that like with anything new, there can expect to be some bumps in the road early on.

I just called out the poster who's original claim was that Disney's solution was to provide an air mattress, but completley left out the fact that they offered to move them to another resort. Unfortunately, Disney is not Universal. They don't have a Deloreon time machine. What's done is done. They can't go back and fix all of the beds before opening the resort. But what they have done is offered to fix the situation to the best of their ability. I'm not sure of their ability to hand out compensation in the way of points given that they don't generally own them, but perhaps they could have.

You called out the poster? Please do not imply that I intentionally misled anyone by omitting a fact in my “original claim” that was not relevant to our decision making. It was Christmas Eve and my family was getting ready for bed. I have not asked for any compensation from Disney and we are at MCO now waiting to go home and enjoyed our time together at Disney. Not sure why you think that their offer was all that was possible in their ability. My analogy to any other hotel still stands - no other hotel would have the temerity to not voluntarily refund some amount after not providing the beds sold. None. That is the only essential core function of a hotel - to provide beds sold. All that was possible in their ability? That is an apologist in a way that is baffling to me. Fine to disagree of course, but it is completely unfair to imply that I steered this discussion in a slanted direction.

Last edited:
I'm not one to give large corporations excuses, but I do think that like with anything new, there can expect to be some bumps in the road early on.
I guess I wouldn't describe malfunctioning beds (malfunctioning to the point of being dangerous and unusable) as a normal bump in the road that's to be expected. We'll have to agree to disagree.

This is a pretty big screw up and as long as people are willing to give Disney slack, Disney is going to take it and standards will continue to decline.
As a society today, we have no memory, and Disney knows this. The outrage today will be displaced by a new one tomorrow. Best way for Disney to handle this? Go back to the Skyliner playbook: pretend nothing happened and wait for it to blow over.

We can be upset about this story, or we can excuse Disney for "growing pains" but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how many rooms are occupied and how many timeshare contracts are sold. I don't see that changing because of this story which will be long forgotten in a few weeks.

I think the question is... what would make this right for people?

They cannot go back and make everything perfect for the opening. That’s impossible so I don’t understand why it’s part of the discussion. No one is perfect. Hagrid’s coaster opening, case in point.

I agree not having enough beds is unacceptable. I think they also should have had someone calling every single guest checking in to alert them to the problem. However, Disney did offer a remedy.

I think If the remedy offered was not acceptable that it is on the guests to say what would fix it for them.

I’m sure if someone asked for a partial refund, Disney would give it to them. So the difference in what is desired and what Disney would do is that they need to offer the refund without being asked?

I think if I was Disney, I would assume that since guests were offered to be moved and did not ask for further compensation, they must be happy. I hope anyone who is not happy contacts Disney and asks for a refund and tells them that they should be offering one without having to be asked. If they did not behave properly, they should be held accountable.

Personally, if I didn’t want to move, I would have asked for fastpasses since Disney time is money to me.

I think my problem here (despite the obvious shoddiness of the construction on these visible when you look at how the one that fell off the wall was mounted) is that Disney knew this was a problem before guests arrived for their stay. They needed to call guests in advance and let them know, and problem solve at that time. Disney is the master at crowd and people
Management. I have to believe that they know if they did that, they’d have to move a lot of people. However, if they wait and tell people when they arrive-or wait for them to discover the beds are unavailable when they get to their rooms exhausted after a day of travel-well, a large percentage of your guests will just suck it up and move on.

mistakes happen to anyone-I’m just not impressed with how they’re handling this one. They can do so much better.

I think my problem here (despite the obvious shoddiness of the construction on these visible when you look at how the one that fell off the wall was mounted) is that Disney knew this was a problem before guests arrived for their stay. They needed to call guests in advance and let them know, and problem solve at that time. Disney is the master at crowd and people
Management. I have to believe that they know if they did that, they’d have to move a lot of people. However, if they wait and tell people when they arrive-or wait for them to discover the beds are unavailable when they get to their rooms exhausted after a day of travel-well, a large percentage of your guests will just suck it up and move on.

mistakes happen to anyone-I’m just not impressed with how they’re handling this one. They can do so much better.

I agree. I can only imagine the poor CMs dealing with this over Christmas. The rooms must be so crazy booked up. I do not think Disney's method of not communicating until a lot of people complain is good customer service. But I also don't think that will change unless a lot of people complain...

Maybe I missed something, but there were two individual problems.

1) the foldout Murphy bed under the tv malfunctioned on opening night. This has since been resolved.

2) the large Murphy bed that comes out of the wall may have had a malfunction, but this only happened a day or two ago. This has yet to be inspected.

We're making all of these assumptions based on one posters experience, that occurred on the same day (possibly the day after) the second incident. They likely didn't have time to thoroughly inspect or even call all of the guests and arrange alternatives in time on xmas eve.

However, when they did arrive, they did offer to move them into a new resort. I'm also sure if they asked for some compensation they would have gotten it. They chose not to, and that was that. Sure, Disney could have offered them their money back, but you would still hear complaining even if they did. (Not necessarily by the poster, but in general).

People keep saying that Disney didn't offer the core service of a hotel room, a bed. That again is false. They had 3 beds available in the room. One just happened to be on the floor instead of two feet up in the air. I get it was inconvenient and I'd probably be mad too, but let's not exaggerate. Nobody had to sleep on the hardwood floor or standing up. Nobody (in this room anyways) was hurt.

They offered several options to resolve the problem, and they accepted one. How much more can you expect? Everyone keeps saying they could have done more but haven't given a concrete solution other than going back in time and installing the beds properly.

I guess I wouldn't describe malfunctioning beds (malfunctioning to the point of being dangerous and unusable) as a normal bump in the road that's to be expected. We'll have to agree to disagree.
But they had enough beds to sleep in......one just happened to be on the floor rather than 2 feet in the air

I am NOT the type who complains to a business. In fact I probably stay quiet even when I shouldn’t. But if Disney gave me an air mattress to sleep on as my main sleeping surface at their “premiere property” I would be at the front desk with my bags packed so quickly the carpet would be on fire.

Last edited:
I hope they go back to sofa beds, honestly. I am not a huge fan of Murphy beds in general, and I would prefer sofa beds. I would also prefer real tables instead of the fold up tables. I do not like this space saver type furniture. It seems cheesy and college-dormy to me.

Paging Bob Iger. Time to sprinkle some Pixie Dust for these fine folks. Not a fatal gator attack (thank God)- but pretty jarring all the same...

Last edited:
I hope they go back to sofa beds, honestly. I am not a huge fan of Murphy beds in general, and I would prefer sofa beds. I would also prefer real tables instead of the fold up tables. I do not like this space saver type furniture. It seems cheesy and college-dormy to me.
Really, Disney has a similar Murphy bed installed at other resorts with little to no issues. The sofa beds are awful at best. Maybe fine to torture children under 10 years of age to sleep on them. I have slept on comfortable sofa beds and these are not one of them. The newer beds take up less space and has an actual mattress and you don’t have to stack cushions all over the room. Both of these beds have been being used for months at SSR in the refurbed rooms with no issues. Now DVC is looking at the SSR ones too. RIV issues seem to be a case of improper installation. They’ll get things fixed, but it will take a little time and a lot more time for people to forget these mishaps.

Last edited:
I want to know how the queen sized bed fell down. Just trying to pull down the bed was difficult for my wife. Did they try and adjust the tension to make the beds come down easier?

I just got done with 3 nights sleeping on the pull out couch and I would gladly take the pull down murphy couch over the pull out couch. I ended up not pulling out the bed at AKL and just slept sideways on the couch.

What I don’t get is why they are giving notices at other resorts? I saw a post of someone at SS with a notice not to use the Murphy bed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter