River Country to be demolished

My issues with the DVC properties isn't the properties themselves but more because they are adding room after room without really adding attractions to the park to hold all of the new guests that will be staying in those rooms. I wouldn't mind seeing them expand For Wilderness over the abandoned River Country, though. I'd like to see some new cabins put out there that have a view of Bay Lake or Tri-Circle D Ranch by expanded out there various livestock or areas to ride horses and ponies. Reopening River Country was once a fun idea, especially if it would become a swimming area just for people staying at Fort Wilderness, but with the new laws and restrictions on fresh water in Florida and how they would have to change so much of the River Country area, I don't see that happening. Because of that, I figure they might as well fill it in and then add in some stuff to make it fun for guests.

As long as they can keep selling DVC at the current and projected future costs of ownership, they will find somewhere to build....Until the whole place is a DVC kingdom with a couple parks attached......... Did you know the contracts for DVC specify that there is no guarantee that the parks will be in existance through the contract term? Nor do they guarantee animals at animal kingdom lodge.......

The new, utterly obnoxious first line on all their material is something to the effect of "perks not guaranteed!...which means the decisions to eliminate them from everyone has already been made...Seig Heil, Iger!!!"

Geez lots of hate for DVC. Can't we just agree that ALL timeshares are evil? Location schmocation people like me going because they have a choice and not because of contractual obligation are where it's at. Though the DVC was my family's biggest regret not signing up for
Actually no hate-- just stating some facts....I bought back when it was a good deal....

We still have a choice and chose to go all the time. they will have a hard time pricing me out.

My issues with the DVC properties isn't the properties themselves but more because they are adding room after room without really adding attractions to the park to hold all of the new guests that will be staying in those rooms. I wouldn't mind seeing them expand For Wilderness over the abandoned River Country, though. I'd like to see some new cabins put out there that have a view of Bay Lake or Tri-Circle D Ranch by expanded out there various livestock or areas to ride horses and ponies. Reopening River Country was once a fun idea, especially if it would become a swimming area just for people staying at Fort Wilderness, but with the new laws and restrictions on fresh water in Florida and how they would have to change so much of the River Country area, I don't see that happening. Because of that, I figure they might as well fill it in and then add in some stuff to make it fun for guests.

The last two builds were just conversions...so just more guaranteed occupancy as opposed to vacant rooms...

The last two builds were just conversions...so just more guaranteed occupancy as opposed to vacant rooms...
Great. But let's discuss more than just the last 2. If you go back to 2005 and count how many resorts and especially DVC properties have been added and compare that to the number of attractions that have been added, there's really no comparison.

Great. But let's discuss more than just the last 2. If you go back to 2005 and count how many resorts and especially DVC properties have been added and compare that to the number of attractions that have been added, there's really no comparison.
OK-- That would be AKV, BLT, and GF--- about 720 villas between all of them that were new construction. If the average room occupancy is 4, that's 2880 people per day. Really barely a noticeable number. New attractions? thats a little more digging... Starting with Mount everest in 06 I think--- How many in NFL? 4? The point really is that 2880 people isn't even a dent.

Correct...but as Dave states conversion does little to increase attendance. Actually they lose standard rooms because they convert with kitchens, living rooms, laundry rooms...so the case can be made they are actually downsizing...just guaranteeing near 100% occupancy.

The classic shell game.

DVC is about defraying costs, increasing ancillary spending, and all but guaranteeing occupancy...not increasing raw attendance.

Hey guys...I hear they are filling in the pools at river country...

I can't wait until I can book my fast pass +!!! Do you think there will be a dessert party?!?

(How's that?)
There are other places where ride conversions can be talked about. I think the DVC talk is okay but this thread isn't about ride conversions.

Hey guys the topic is river country and disney filling in the pools lets stick to that.

Could this be another ramification of the recent gator attack? I.e. eliminating potential reptile habitat and clearing the shoreline so as to be able to build a gator-resistant rock barrier.

I simply can't believe - after 20 years - that Disney management are even a tiny bit embarrassed by having a crumbling, abandoned water park on their property in (more or less) full view of the public.

Could this be another ramification of the recent gator attack? I.e. eliminating potential reptile habitat and clearing the shoreline so as to be able to build a gator-resistant rock barrier.

I simply can't believe - after 20 years - that Disney management are even a tiny bit embarrassed by having a crumbling, abandoned water park on their property in (more or less) full view of the public.
Well It seems it's more for Zika prevention. The open lake parts of river country aren't being filled in, only the pools.

I had the same thought...a crumbling water park that 40 boats pass a day after the gator thing just looks...bad...

The Zika thing doesn't help either.

But embarassment?

Come on..."we feel we provide our guests with unique experiences at an EXCEPTIONAL value..."

Like a half mothballed failed movie production studio duct taped together since the age of bea Arthur...

...or neglected and/or mothballed pavilions that continue to sit without acknowledgement in Epcot?

...or perhaps the shutdown adult island...conveniently an eyesore while a "vision" was developed...wait till
You get a load of that vision...

What's there to be embarassed at, my boy?

My question is why not tear it down? You are just tempting people to sneak in and get hurt. I know they are filling the pools in but why not go the extra mile and get rid of that temptation for people?

I never got to see river country. I think it's a shame it closed, and I'm glad to see disney doing their part in reducing the mosquito population in florida. Less standing water, less icky bugs. It's not just about Zika, it's everything mosquitos carry.
Maybe one day they'll have a new idea for river country and we'll get something really cool out of it....

I never got to see river country. I think it's a shame it closed, and I'm glad to see disney doing their part in reducing the mosquito population in florida. Less standing water, less icky bugs. It's not just about Zika, it's everything mosquitos carry.
Maybe one day they'll have a new idea for river country and we'll get something really cool out of it....

They HAD to close it. Florida fresh water is just not safe to swim in. However, I hope that one day they use the land to expand upon the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter