RIV: Electric car chargers have been broken for more than a month

I just want to point out this is a fan site not a Disney site. I would roast Disney on their official channels for not having fixed the chargers more quickly.

If I was a RIV owner or cash stay that was impacted I would also be pushing up the chain to have something done for the impact it had on my stay.
Yeah, nobody roasts Disney on these boards, ever. Point taken.

This is helpful how, exactly?

Helpful?

Again I am stating that Disney is unlikely treat this as a priority until even 1% of guests at resorts are bringing EVs with them.

Helpful? Call MS, email MS, email Riviera, tweet at Disney on Twitter.

Coming here will not resolve it and yet again I am just pointing out how Disney will react.

I have hit up MS over and over on topics. Had calls with various heads at DVC/Disney all in an attempt to get things corrected with DVC. So I am not a stranger to issues. It wasn't just a complaint on here though it was laying out the issue.

Good example was point charts. Had multiple calls with Disney regarding these over the last couple years.

Last edited:
Getting a little too personal..let’s keep it focused or it’s going to need to close.

The lack of chargers in the public is why EV cars are going to hinder sales.
Great for your local driving but not ready for long distance travel.
Vacation trips is when you save $ .
Long distance travel in the US and most other places is already not a problem for Teslas, which is about 80% of EVs. And they already have plans to open their massive DC fast charging network to other brands.

The limiting factors for EV adoption are 90% supply, and 10% FUD, like the perception they’re not ready for long distance travel.

Disney is terrible at providing chargers for electric vehicles. I had a plug in hybrid on our last trip. We stayed at BLT. No chargers there. The handful they have at the DS garages were always full when we were there.

On our last visit in July to WDW, we rented a Tesla through Hertz. Hertz has ordered 100,000 Teslas, and have just ordered 175,000 additional EVs from GM. In other words, not just people driving to WDW are going have EVs, people driving rentals will increasingly be driving them as well.

The chargers were working during our Riviera stay, but we didn't need to use them. I actually charged for free when we moved over to Portofino Bay for two nights. One nice benefit of renting an EV is there's no need to return it with a full tank! Or battery, for that matter.

Reactions: ehh

Roast away this just isn't high on the list comparatively to all the other issues at Disney right now and impacts a tiny tiny tiny sub 1% of guests.
Where do you get these stats? If you look at the cars parked in the Riviera parking lot, I'm sure you'll see more than 1% of EVs and plug-in hybrids. Last time I was there, I saw several, but I wasn't keeping an exact count or exact stats. It is probably somewhere in the 2-5% range today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is 10% in a few years.

Where do you get these stats? If you look at the cars parked in the Riviera parking lot, I'm sure you'll see more than 1% of EVs and plug-in hybrids. Last time I was there, I saw several, but I wasn't keeping an exact count or exact stats. It is probably somewhere in the 2-5% range today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is 10% in a few years.
According to Car and Driver, around 1% of the cars on the roads in the US are electric right now. But as a percentage of sales it's close to 5% and rising, so the numbers will be going up pretty quickly. Tesla could probably sell twice as many as they do now if they could make that many.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39998609/electric-car-sales-usa/

So as of right now, I seriously doubt EVs at WDW would be over 1%, especially given the fact that so many of the cars there are rentals, which are almost never EVs (for now)

Even as an EV owner myself, I don't think the pressure on resorts to add charging is very high right now, but that will be changing.

I don’t understand why Disney, or any other business, is expected to provide and maintain EV charging stations. I wouldn’t expect to have a gas pump in the hotel parking lot. Just go to service station or dealership that has them and charge there.

I don’t understand why Disney, or any other business, is expected to provide and maintain EV charging stations. I wouldn’t expect to have a gas pump in the hotel parking lot. Just go to service station or dealership that has them and charge there.
Because they can make money off of it.

Insert "that's bait" Tom Hardy meme here.

Reactions: ehh
Because they can make money off of it.
That’s why they MIGHT want to have them, not why they are expected to have and maintain them and are being criticized when they don’t. I’m not trying to be argumentative, I just don’t get the complaints when some other entity chooses not to incur an expense to accommodate a small percentage of people’s choice in vehicle, it’s a very entitled attitude to have.

What do you do when there are chargers at the parks but they are all occupied from park open to close? It seems to me that a lot of EV owners use these charging locations as parking spots since they are right at the front of most lots, often times in areas that are as close to the entrance as handicap spots. Shouldn’t the people parking in those charging spots, for a full theme park day, have their vehicle towed if they don’t leave the park to move to a normal spot once their car is charged? It would be the right thing to do for fellow EV owners, but I bet there isn’t an EV owner going to Disney that would do that for the benefit of their fellow EV owners…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter