• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rise without ILL....

katyringo

DIS Veteran
Hello,

Here now. Yesterday we bought rise. At 25pp. That's $100 for my family. My son was blown away by it and wants to ride again, but it's not in the budget to buy again. We don't want to use our EE to line up because we also have our 6 year old and that's is how we are hitting fantasy land. What is our next best strategy? Is it still closing early? Thanks in advance. I also prepared him that if it was that important to him, I would do the wait with him and to prepare for an hour or more. It's kind of a good lesson to learn since my kids are spoiled with LL/fastpass.

When we were there in Sept, we kept an eye on it- when the wait time was 45 min we would do it, never waited that long. Also, when we saw it was down a while, we made our way to that area and were able to hop in line when it came back up and didn't wait long.

Hopefully some others have some more current info.

Similar to the PP, on my September visit (after D23) I kept an eye on the wait time and got in line when it was posted at 60min. I was off the ride in about 50 minutes, so that means my wait time was more like 30-35min.

One backup plan - assuming it's not too late (and there isn't something else happening) - hop in line a few minutes before the posted end time. The times are posted on the attraction page in the app:

Screenshot_20221014_184619.jpg

At that point, there won't be any more ILLs entering the ride, so the line should move faster than normal.

If it says less than an hour wait and the end of the queue is not outside the entrance to the caves, it should be 45 minutes or less (as long as it doesn’t break down).

I’ve not tried it but I’ve been told it’s a walk on at the end of the night. You could try around 8:30/8:45pm.

I usually get in line around 6pmish, closer to 7pm.
Which is usually around the the time guests are having dinner or getting ready for Fantasmic and the fireworks.
After 8pm is even better but, if the ride goes down it may not come back up.

Note it is even possible that the attraction may stay open an hour past the closure time on the app because of considerable downtime earlier in the day.

I rode it three times on my visit in September, all in the standby line. The first time the posted wait time was 45 minutes and I decided to bite the bullet and wait for it. Unfortunately I got literally to the front of the line and it broke down for 45 minutes, but it was actually kind of a blessing because it was so nicely air-conditioned in there and it was brutally hot outside so I just waited! The second time the posted wait was again 45 minutes and it was actually only about 30 minutes. The third time, it was 915 at night and I was walking by to head to the fireworks when I saw people streaming in. We came back after fireworks and literally walked right on. The cast member I asked said that they stayed open an extra hour due to closures earlier in the day.

To update we ended up using our EE time to que up abs were successful..we had heavy crowds the whole trip and had never seen it under an hour.

That being said, that day ended up being the lowest crowds of them all and we could have ridden that day with a 45minutr or less wait.

The thing that is most difficult to me about riding it SB is that the line is always long, so you have to commit a lot of park time to it (other than if you get it at RD), and if it goes down while you are in line, there is no recovery option. Either keep waiting (it usually takes about an hour to “reset” the ride) or get out of line and lose all the time you just waited. At least if I have an ILL$, I generally walk straight into the pre-show room, and if it breaks down (which it has done, right as I got in the pre-show),they take the ILL$ folks right outside and give them a recovery LL to come back anytime later that same day. If we want to ride twice, we will try it at RD and then do an ILL$.

The thing that is most difficult to me about riding it SB is that the line is always long, so you have to commit a lot of park time to it (other than if you get it at RD), and if it goes down while you are in line, there is no recovery option. Either keep waiting (it usually takes about an hour to “reset” the ride) or get out of line and lose all the time you just waited. At least if I have an ILL$, I generally walk straight into the pre-show room, and if it breaks down (which it has done, right as I got in the pre-show),they take the ILL$ folks right outside and give them a recovery LL to come back anytime later that same day. If we want to ride twice, we will try it at RD and then do an ILL$.
I felt like using our EE was a gamble because I feel like it doesn't always open on time. So folks should keep that in mind too.

This was our thought process too. We bought an ILL cause it was the first time riding it for 2 in our group and we didn't want to miss the opportunity. We ended up riding it twice because we were walking by right after it opened after being broken for a lil bit so we did like a 25min line for it too.
That being said, we agreed that it was a 1 time purchase, so next time we go we will probably try to catch it on one of those after-break moments again.

I have to be careful how I word this because I am trying very hard to avoid any spoilers about the ride before the experience. But I think I saw someone else mention a benefit to doing it early in the day is because later on you could have more of a chance of experiencing the ride in "B mode" or with effects not functioning... can anyone comment on that without giving anything away about the ride? Is there something to that line of thinking or is it luck of the draw early or late as far as the experience?

I would not try to ride RotR at EE or especially RD. It's at the extreme far end of the park, as far from the entrance as you can go and EVERYONE is headed there. You can walk on and ride practically every ride you see on the way to RotR and still be done before the people who are at the tail end of the mass of humanity headed to RotR at RD. Just commit to doing all those other things, then come back to RotR in the afternoon or at close if you don't mind chancing it won't be open then.

I have to be careful how I word this because I am trying very hard to avoid any spoilers about the ride before the experience. But I think I saw someone else mention a benefit to doing it early in the day is because later on you could have more of a chance of experiencing the ride in "B mode" or with effects not functioning... can anyone comment on that without giving anything away about the ride? Is there something to that line of thinking or is it luck of the draw early or late as far as the experience?

Not sure it necessarily has anything to do with the time of day. Effects are just as likely to not work at the start of the day as the middle or the end.

If you've never done it and avoid spoilers (which huge props to you for being able to do so this long) I don't know that you'd even know you're missing stuff. Having seen most/all work it's obvious when something is in b mode but I don't feel like most of them take away too much. I can only think of one that seems odd if it's not working or partially working that you might wonder about on your first ride. Others may think differently.

It’s tricky. Just did it two days ago. It said 55 minutes. We waited 90. I was ready to put a Hurtin’ on all this ILL riders. First, for making me wait sooooo long. But also for lining Disney’s pockets and convincing them to continue this stupid idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter