Rise of the Resistance to utilize normal queue starting Sept 23.

Lol, very optimistic. They’re printing money with LL. Why limit the sales?
It's just selling fast passes. FP were always a limited quantity and frequently "sold out". Also, with a multi-hour long standby line they will have to cap LL sales. Boarding groups sell out too currently.

I also expect of the standby line is hours long, they will close it that day and not allow people to continue getting in line.

I'm curious to see how this is going to affect all of the reservations at DHS (Savi's, Droid Depot, Oga's, and ADRs). With the Virtual Queue you could show your reservation and get on the ride after your Boarding Group if the timing didn't work out. Now you'll have to exit the ride queue if it goes down and your reservation is coming up. Thankfully I put all of my reservations after 2pm.

Honestly, I don't think the stand-by line is going to be as crazy as everyone thinks. This isn't a brand new ride. A lot of people have had a chance to experience it - some a dozen times or more according to this thread! My guess is that the stand-by line will discourage those people who've already been on it multiple times from riding. They're not going to stand in an hours long line. Way less people will get up early to go wait in a stand-by queue than those who were competing for VQ in their jammies in bed.

It's not going to be 6-8 hours like FOP was in the beginning. A couple hours, max. If you get there at rope drop or hop into line at the end of the night, even shorter. This seems much more fair. It was not great that people who had already riden lots of times in the past were filling up the VQ each morning, taking spots away from those who had never experienced it at all. This levels the playing field and I think it's a smart move on Disney's part from a guest relations perspective.

Honestly, I don't think the stand-by line is going to be as crazy as everyone thinks. This isn't a brand new ride. A lot of people have had a chance to experience it - some a dozen times or more according to this thread! My guess is that the stand-by line will discourage those people who've already been on it multiple times from riding. They're not going to stand in an hours long line. Way less people will get up early to go wait in a stand-by queue than those who were competing for VQ in their jammies in bed.

It's not going to be 6-8 hours like FOP was in the beginning. A couple hours, max. If you get there at rope drop or hop into line at the end of the night, even shorter. This seems much more fair. It was not great that people who had already riden lots of times in the past were filling up the virutal queue each morning, taking spots away from those who had never experienced it at all. This levels the playing field and I think it's a smart move on Disney's part from a guest relations perspective.
The thing is, years after first opening, FOP regularly achieved Standby wait times of 3 to 4 hours on moderately busy days.

I can see this filling fast when they start letting guests in early for onsite stays.
I suspect there will be many who will just pay the money for the LL pass. I'm just hoping that they limit the number of passes they sell, like they did with FP, as opposed to selling as many as they can.

I was going to go on a cruise instead of going with my sister on her solo trip in January and now I kinda want to go to watch the spectacle

Here’s my thing. At 7am, you can start making IA$ reservations. At that point, I have to decide if I want to pony up the likely $60 or so for my party of 3 or gamble that the line won’t be astronomically long when the park opens. Keep in mind, I travel with my 77 year old mother, who is in great shape, but I still can’t expect her to do the running of the bulls that will likely ensue if we head to RotR first. If I decide to hope that the standby line is manageable in the morning and the wait ends up being 2+ hours, I’m worried that all the IA$ passes will be gone.

And I’ve never ridden RotR, so I’ll be pretty disappointed to miss it.

Yeah youre definitely not the only one thinking that (for anyone who wants more fun there are other rotr standby threads around also!). Last night, in order to get peace of mind and fall asleep I’ve decided to take them at their word “pause” and hope that maybe they will bring it back after they “go live” with genie+. Or at least at really busy times like holidays and summer. But in general, I hope their IT is prepared for this. Anyone who has tried to register for a run disney race pre-pandemic can tell you about crashing servers and virtual queues (actual ones, to get into something online).
I’ll be watching and observing for sure.

I just assume practicality instead of diabolical plans. Maybe it will be an attendance based thing? If DHS reservations or WDW wide reservations hit a certain threshold, they'll flex it back on?

The thing is, years after first opening, FOP regularly achieved Standby wait times of 3 to 4 hours on moderately busy days.
Not regularly. Actual wait times were more like 2 hours, 3 max regularly. Posted is often different than actual. Rope drop and end of night was about 30-40 minutes.

It's not going to be 6-8 hours like FOP was in the beginning. A couple hours, max. If you get there at rope drop or hop into line at the end of the night, even shorter. This seems much more fair. It was not great that people who had already riden lots of times in the past were filling up the VQ each morning, taking spots away from those who had never experienced it at all. This levels the playing field and I think it's a smart move on Disney's part from a guest relations perspective.
Respectfully, while I would love your scenario to be true, I have to disagree it will be as you've written.

Historically RotR seems to need 'down time' overnight in order to function better the following day. I can't see 'hopping into line at the end of the night' as I anticipate the standby line closing long before park closing just to accommodate those already in line.

In less than a week we'll have our answers. popcorn::

I'm another one who wasn't crazy about the virtual que, and yes, I was always able to get one either at 7 am or 1 pm every time I tried. We are the odd (or not so odd bird) who doesn't really mind standing in line if we want to ride a ride. It stems from having been going since long before any FP system so standing in line was just what you did. We are also fortunate enough to go often since we live in Ga. and can drive down in 7 hours. We were there last week, I had HS booked for two days so my son and his SO could get a chance to ride RoTR. We had their baby with us. I got BG 29 on the first day. We did child swap, they rode it first and since you can have 2 people go the second time my son went with me. I've been on the ride more times than him, he went when you had to be in the park at 6 am to get a BG. He liked it well enough but the pre-shows weren't working that day and he said he wasn't getting up that early again for anything. Fast forward to last week, I asked if they wanted me to try for a BG on our 2nd HS day and they said it didn't matter. I did try that morning but not really that hard and didn't get one. We were all fine with that as there were plenty of other rides we hadn't done on the previous day because of the baby.

As far as a single rider line, I've been on the ride solo on previous trips, it was while they weren't allowing non-party guests to ride together so I got the whole row to myself. Riding the ride solo is fine and if I were in the mood to ride it, wouldn't have any problem doing so. Would I stand in line more than 60 min. for it? Probably not. Would I stand in line more than 60 min for other rides? Probably. ToT I'm looking at you, my all time favorite ride in all 4 parks.

Here’s my thing. At 7am, you can start making IA$ reservations. At that point, I have to decide if I want to pony up the likely $60 or so for my party of 3 or gamble that the line won’t be astronomically long when the park opens. Keep in mind, I travel with my 77 year old mother, who is in great shape, but I still can’t expect her to do the running of the bulls that will likely ensue if we head to RotR first. If I decide to hope that the standby line is manageable in the morning and the wait ends up being 2+ hours, I’m worried that all the IA$ passes will be gone.

We will pay for the IAS. It’s only DD16 and myself and we only go every 2-3 years and haven’t been since ROTR has opened. I can’t do the running of the bulls. I’ve seen arguments and fights break out and I don’t want that at Disney. My daughter isn’t the biggest morning person so it could definitely put a bad start to our day, especially if the wait is still an hour when we get there. I guess I’ll just have to pay for the peace.

For the very first time today I found myself saying to my daughter, 'I'm budgeting to pay to ride Rise of the Resistance once this trip.' Before that it was always riding based on getting a BG for the free virtual queue.

Me = 0 Disney = 1 :(

Last edited:
Its all about the $.
Let's just say it costs you $100 for your entry to HS.
And you are there for 8 hours during the day.
So thats 12.50 per hour.
So what's the difference if you wait for 2 hours at 12.50 per hour or you pay up an extra $25 to not wait?

Well, in my opinion. Disney has gotten down right greedy in the last couple years with everything they are taking away.
I used to want to come every year.
But I am getting to the point where I would rather do other things because Disney is becoming un fun.

Honestly slightly disappointed in this move. Out of 6 trips pre-Covid and now one just last week, I have never had any issues obtaining a boarding group. I know I cannot speak on behalf of anyone else and it might make it slightly more fair to get one by buying, but it seems to be a push for sales for LL.

This is what Disney wants.

Instead of paying to be entertained, you’re paying to not be disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter