Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what the benefit is to selecting the My Status button instead of Join Boarding Group from the RotR page? It seems like this would add an additional step to the process but from what I’ve read, it sounds like this is the consensus of the best way to go?
When I got group 46 on Friday, I used “Join Boarding Group.” Specifically, I had the app open and was pull-down refreshing the “My Status” page because the people nearby who’d ridden at WDW said to do that. However, after doing that once or twice at 8 with no results, and hearing people start to cheer that they were getting BGs, I quickly went “back” a page and was able to hit “Join Boarding Group.”

I have an iPhone 11pro and Verizon. Was in the crush of humanity by Buzz.

No luck for me on a brand new Galaxy S10, with 5 bars of signal.

I launched the app right at 8, and my buttons never turned red at all. I never even had the option. Button was greyed out with "loading" showing. The My Status button wasn't even red. I tried refreshing, closing and relaunching. Nothing. I'm pissed and my son was practically in tears saying "the phone is not working" while everyone around us was cheering. :guilty:

I calmed him down and we got in line to renew his DAS. The CM asked if we got a BG and I told her what happened. She said it happens to a lot of people and the system is a complete crapshoot. She told me this BG system won't be in place very long. She said it should go straight standby sooner rather than later. She then hooked us up with an earlier return time for MFSR since we had such a disappointing morning so far.

We will try again Tuesday but I don't know what else we can do if my phone/app just decides to hang up again. I'm the only one with a phone. I followed all the advice I've read about how to optimize my chances, but when the app is unresponsive, that all goes out the window.

I launched the app right at 8, and my buttons never turned red at all. I never even had the option. Button was greyed out with "loading" showing. I tried refreshing, closing and relaunching. Nothing. I'm pissed and my son was practically in tears saying "the phone is not working" while everyone around us was cheering. :guilty:

I calmed him down and we got in line to renew his DAS. The CM asked if we got a BG and I told her what happened. She said it happens to a lot of people and the system is a complete crapshoot. She told me this BG system won't be in place very long. She said it should go straight standby sooner rather than later. She then hooked us up with an earlier return time for MFSR since we had such a disappointing morning so far.

We will try again Tuesday but I don't know what else we can do if my phone/app just decides to hang up again. I'm the only one with a phone. I followed all the advice I've read about how to optimize my chances, but when the app is unresponsive, that all goes out the window.
Since you are AP holders if you can have someone not in the park help you that may work when the app can’t get a signal in the park.

I launched the app right at 8, and my buttons never turned red at all. I never even had the option. Button was greyed out with "loading" showing. The My Status button wasn't even red. I tried refreshing, closing and relaunching. Nothing. I'm pissed and my son was practically in tears saying "the phone is not working" while everyone around us was cheering. :guilty:

I’m sorry that was your experience. :-( Hope you have a great rest of the day!

I wouldn’t trust the word of a CM in terms of how long they’ll keep BGs, though...

We opened the app when we got into DL. We went up and sat on the benches in front of DL Railroad on Main Street. Had husbands phone showing clock with seconds counting - at 7:59:59 clicked find out more on my phone - went to next screen and join boarding group was lit red - hit the button - went to select group page - our group of 5 was already checked green - clicked button to confirm group - went to page with boarding group 21.

Since you are AP holders if you can have someone not in the park help you that may work when the app can’t get a signal in the park.

I had a signal. I had been on it in the time leading up to the opening and everything was working then. The My Status buttom was red, all other app features were working. I hard closed the app and relaunched it at 7:59, and minimized it. Right at 8, opened it up and clicked "learn more" and then everything looked different and buttons were greyed out.

I had a signal. I had been on it in the time leading up to the opening and everything was working then. The My Status buttom was red, all other app features were working. I hard closed the app and relaunched it at 7:59, and minimized it. Right at 8, opened it up and clicked "learn more" and then everything looked different and buttons were greyed out.
Did you back out to the home page and click on the learn more again? Sometimes you have to do it a few times for it to load. Or click on my status at that point and the join group will be blue there.

I’m sorry that was your experience. :-( Hope you have a great rest of the day!

I wouldn’t trust the word of a CM in terms of how long they’ll keep BGs, though...

Guest relations CMs have never given me inaccurate info. She could have very easily said that the BG system was permanent and that is just how it's going to be. I asked specifically "how long is this BG system going to be the only way people can get on this ride?" Her verbatim response was "Not too long. Once everything dies down, it will go to a regular standby line, which will happen sooner rather than later."

Did you back out to the home page and click on the learn more again? Sometimes you have to do it a few times for it to load. Or click on my status at that point and the join group will be blue there.

Yes, I backed out and the app wouldn't even refresh (the pull down didn't work). I couldn't click My status. It was greyed out. I tried everything.

Yes, I backed out and the app wouldn't even refresh (the pull down didn't work). I couldn't click My status. It was greyed out. I tried everything.
That sucks. I would try to “play along from home” tomorrow morning if you can to see if it works then. Also, is your app up to date?

That sucks. I would try to “play along from home” tomorrow morning if you can to see if it works then. Also, is your app up to date?

Yep, updated. I was able to play along from home just fine the past 2 days. The app just completely froze in the park.

Can someone explain how someone helps from home? Are they logged in as someone who has scanned into the park or can you make reservations for other people linked to your account even if you haven't gone to the parks that day? I know you can only get a boarding group if scanned into the park but I'm not familiar enough with all the other details to figure out how they are doing that (like can you have multiple devices logged into the same app account and it not override itself?)...and I haven't had coffee yet :-) Thanks! I have no trip planned and live 2,000 miles away - just genuinely curious.

The "friend at home" thing means that you connect your account with another AP holder. That person isn't in the park, but would be able to book a BG for anyone they're connected to who's in the park. (They wouldn't be able to book one for themselves.)

I've helped a couple of friends get FOP FP's at WDW during the daytime while they're wandering the parks (and I'm in my office).

Can someone explain how someone helps from home? Are they logged in as someone who has scanned into the park or can you make reservations for other people linked to your account even if you haven't gone to the parks that day? I know you can only get a boarding group if scanned into the park but I'm not familiar enough with all the other details to figure out how they are doing that (like can you have multiple devices logged into the same app account and it not override itself?)...and I haven't had coffee yet :-) Thanks! I have no trip planned and live 2,000 miles away - just genuinely curious.
You can have multiple phones logged into the same account, or you can have a friend scan your tickets into their account and book for you once you’ve scanned in.

Either way, the ticket has to have been scanned into the park to join a BG.

The "friend at home" thing means that you connect your account with another AP holder. That person isn't in the park, but would be able to book a BG for anyone they're connected to who's in the park. (They wouldn't be able to book one for themselves.)

I've helped a couple of friends get FOP FP's at WDW during the daytime while they're wandering the parks (and I'm in my office).
You can have multiple phones logged into the same account, or you can have a friend scan your tickets into their account and book for you once you’ve scanned in.

Either way, the ticket has to have been scanned into the park to join a BG.

Gotcha! Thank you!!!!

Guest relations CMs have never given me inaccurate info. She could have very easily said that the BG system was permanent and that is just how it's going to be. I asked specifically "how long is this BG system going to be the only way people can get on this ride?" Her verbatim response was "Not too long. Once everything dies down, it will go to a regular standby line, which will happen sooner rather than later."
"Once everything dies down" is a pretty substantial caveat. Any CM that can predict that should give me some Wall Street stock tips. (I would personally be shocked if ROTR was running regular standby this summer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter