• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rip me to Shreds! Planning for week of July 4

T Morrows Child

<font color=red>Dis Dads #596<br><font color=peach
Hello, friends!

My advancing age and fatigue for Disney's business practices have opened me up to look at USF and IOA for the first time. (NOTE: I know that sounds stupid - Disney is just doing what other companies like Comcast also do. Still, there is some tarnish since it has been clear that everything they do seems to be for the stockholders and not the delight of their guests.) I digress.

I have searched these boards and found some really helpful tips. But I still am uncertain and have questions. I just watched the Dis Unplugged Universal live stream today on Top Tips, but I still have some questions.

Here's the scene: Going on Thursday, July 7 and Friday, July 8. Have the two-park pass and we purchased the Universal Express Unlimited.

Biggest questions as I plan:

1) We're staying off site in an All Star Vacation Home - we typically take midday breaks from Disney Parks but think we'll be too far away and too invested. Is there anywhere in the parks or CityWalk that can serve the same purpose as a midday break?

2) We do one meal a day. Is Mythos really a "must do?" Or should we plan to break out to CityWalk for our meals?

3) Is the dining package for Cinematic Spectacular worth booking? We'll see the show on our 2nd day - just wonder about the package.

5 people = ages 50, 49, 49, 17, 12
My basic plan:
Day 1
Arrive at around 8:15 for a 9am park opening
Start off at Universal doing Production Central attractions, then Mummy, then Men in Black
Check out Simpsons area (would it be lunchtime yet?)
Do ET
Then take Hogwarts Express train over to IOA
Kind of a natural break time, so maybe Seuss Landing?
Then Jurassic Park
Followed by extended quality time in Wizarding World - Hogsmeade

Day 2
Start with Marvel Island
Check out Toon Lagoon
Repeat any Hogsmeade ride we just must do (is it lunchtime after this?)
Take Hogwarts Express back to Universal
See some shows as today's afternoon break (Horror Make-Up, Blues Brothers)
Do Wizarding World Diagon Alley
Anything else we want up until the Cinematic Spectacular

Not enough time to do it?
Too much time on our hands?

Any feedback and suggestions will be embraced and appreciated.

Thanks!
John

You might want to play it by ear a bit more by watching queue lengths. Often, the rides at the entrances to the parks get busiest early.

You will have plenty of time to do everything you want with your express passes. Doing the Harry Potter areas in the evening is a good idea.

I find that the Jurassic Discovery Centre is a great place for an afternoon break to cool off.

Lunch at Mythos will be a nice break on your first day. It is COLD in there!

There really is no need for a touring plan as we know it for WDW. Playing it by ear is quite true with the Express Pass. You might become another of the converts we have here. The exception I think of is to ride Minions first. Even the EP line gets bogged down due to low capacity.

There is so much to do and see. You might want to stay in primarily one park per day. Going from ET to Hogwats Express is kind of backtracking. I think Transformers is on the way, though. Again, you could stay there and keep checking off your 'must dos'.

I LOVE parks in the evening. Both HP areas are beautiful and Jurassic Park River Adventure gets my "best ride after sunset" award. I could easily skip the night time show (I can't call it spectacular) and do more rides.

Agree with the above, a true touring plan is not needed with Express Pass. For example, your plan shows mummy, MIB, Simpsons, ET, Diagon Alley. Too much back and forth. Mummy to Transformers to ET to Simpsons (do the Animal show if the timing works) to MIB to Diagon Alley. Similar when you head over to IoA for the castle, either go counter clockwise to Jurassic Park, Kong/Toon Lagoon, Marvel or go clockwise toward Mythos, Seuss,etc. It would be similar to doing Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Big Thunder Mountain, then the Seven Dwarfs Mine coaster. All necessary rides, but not the best order.

With back to back days and commando like touring with an afternoon break, save the feet a little bit of walking. Know the maps - IoA is easy, its a circle. Uni is a bit tougher, but not bad with a little research.

Also, I see Toon Lagoon is midday - just know that those rides will drench you. Like you walked into a shower with clothes on, or better yet, jumped into a pool with clothes on. They are an absolute blast, but keep in mind and plan.

I agree that Discovery Center is a great place to break, and if packed properly, Toon Lagoon will cool you off (not very restful though). Also, some great shows to see with Express Pass as well, don't hurry past the Blues Brothers or the Horror Make Up show, they are a lot of fun as well.

Finally, just know at Universal that characters just pop up places and a mini parade might just "happen." Don't always rush to the next ride, there is a lot of magic that happens without planning and Express Pass will give you more time for those types of things.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter