RIP Captain Jack

I don’t like the idea of a reboot. I’d rather they go the route of a different crew in the same universe kinda like Star Trek does. I don’t think there is a need for s complete reboot especially this soon.

So I’m going in very scepticsl of the idea.

I don’t like the idea of a reboot. I’d rather they go the route of a different crew in the same universe kinda like Star Trek does. I don’t think there is a need for s complete reboot especially this soon.

So I’m going in very scepticsl of the idea.

I guess it depends on what they mean by "reboot" - I think I am more like you in that I am fine with (even excited about) a new storyline with new characters, etc. - but in the "Pirates Universe" .... but not if there is a new Captain Jack Sparrow and all of that, like a straight up remake

I think the PotC franchise has a tarnished reputation due to some of the sequels. However, the first pirates movie was a great movie. A lot of it was due to Johnny Depp and his take on the Jack Sparrow character. I'm not sure that Disney can re-create that magic with a reboot.

I guess it depends on what they mean by "reboot" - I think I am more like you in that I am fine with (even excited about) a new storyline with new characters, etc. - but in the "Pirates Universe" .... but not if there is a new Captain Jack Sparrow and all of that, like a straight up remake

I consider a new crew in the same universe as a spinoff not a reboot but you are right they could be using that term differently then I am. A reboot to me is completely starting over like Spider-Man movies vs Amazing Spider-Man movies.

I like the potc movies, but a full reboot (by my definition of the term) I likely wouldn't go see. A spin-off type movie I would go see.

I agree. Plus with the ending of the fifth we will be left with a bit of a cliffhanger. Would like to see them do a sixth film that wraps up the current characters and can introduce a new crew that we could follow or subsequent films.

This. Or even just continue the series with some of the more minor characters. I think following Will's son would be good for a couple of films. Maybe bring Norrington back and have him chase other pirates. There are a lot of things they could do without trying to recast Jack. I think that would be extremely difficult to do. Maybe not impossible but very difficult.

I like it and dont. My fav. person was Barbossa in the series.

I think it would be good as mentioned above to keep it in the same universe with nods and some carry over points.
More like a Caribbean Star Wars.
Luke and Vader weren't in them all and they seem (even the prequels) to be fine.
Prequels would be good as well for POTC.

I consider a new crew in the same universe as a spinoff not a reboot but you are right they could be using that term differently then I am. A reboot to me is completely starting over like Spider-Man movies vs Amazing Spider-Man movies.

I like the potc movies, but a full reboot (by my definition of the term) I likely wouldn't go see. A spin-off type movie I would go see.

yeah, I think you are right with your definition ... looking it up I found the definition to be "In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning. "

so I guess I don't want a "reboot" in this specific set, but a new stories in the same universe I am find with

Though who knows what is truly meant by the term in this news story

Wasn't the point of the fifth movie to introduce new characters who would then take the reigns in future films? I think they could draw from Stranger Tides and Dead Men Tell No Tales to create an interesting new cast of characters. I know Stranger Tides is generally regarded as the worst movie, but I personally loved Angelica and would like to see her come back. It'll be strange to have a Pirates movie without Jack Sparrow, but I think it's probably best for Disney to sever ties with Depp as his reputation continues to tarnish, and for Depp since he's been saying he wants to retire for a while.

Reboot seems to be used too broadly and is tossed around way too much nowadays. You don't need to "reboot" a movie franchise that is that old.

Spider-Man was rebooted Three times in the last 15 years. That was awful (luckily Marvel Studios finally got it right). Changing the actors, changing the plotline so many times after the previous installment .. just too messy for the "casual" fan and frustrating for the hardcore fan.

If "reboot" means .. "try and revitalize" the franchise with new characters .. sure. I am okay with that for Pirates. Just how The Force Awakens was a "reboot" of the Star Wars Universe. Even though it was a continuing story, it generated some new excitement in the franchise and works to continue it with NEW characters rather than relying on the old, aging ones.

With five "Pirates" movies already, the franchise may have worn out it's welcome, so attempting to continue the same old thing with different actors might not be a recipe for success. I do think a new cast of characters with enough distance between them and the originals might breathe some life into any new movies though.

yeah, I think you are right with your definition ... looking it up I found the definition to be "In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning. "

so I guess I don't want a "reboot" in this specific set, but a new stories in the same universe I am find with

Though who knows what is truly meant by the term in this news story
Reboot seems to be used too broadly and is tossed around way too much nowadays. You don't need to "reboot" a movie franchise that is that old.

Spider-Man was rebooted Three times in the last 15 years. That was awful (luckily Marvel Studios finally got it right). Changing the actors, changing the plotline so many times after the previous installment .. just too messy for the "casual" fan and frustrating for the hardcore fan.

If "reboot" means .. "try and revitalize" the franchise with new characters .. sure. I am okay with that for Pirates. Just how The Force Awakens was a "reboot" of the Star Wars Universe. Even though it was a continuing story, it generated some new excitement in the franchise and works to continue it with NEW characters rather than relying on the old, aging ones.

"Reboot" is definitely a squishy term, as it could mean a total or just partial reworking of the existing cinematic universe. I actually thought that Pirates 5 was a kind of reboot of the franchise, with new young male/female protagonists and a shifting of the focus to Will Turner and his family: and in fact at the time it was referenced as a "soft reboot" in some articles. I actually loved POTC 5 and was looking forward to its continuation...

"Reboot" is definitely a squishy term, as it could mean a total or just partial reworking of the existing cinematic universe. I actually thought that Pirates 5 was a kind of reboot of the franchise, with new young male/female protagonists and a shifting of the focus to Will Turner and his family: and in fact at the time it was referenced as a "soft reboot" in some articles. I actually loved POTC 5 and was looking forward to its continuation...

I know what they are going to do... full reboot and restart of the franchise and this time starring Jackie Sparrow.

I know what they are going to do... full reboot and restart of the franchise and this time starring Jackie Sparrow.
R17PW9z.gif

I imagine that part of the motivation for Disney to consider this is the quietly increasing disdain for Johnny Depp among the movie-going public, but my only hope is that however they choose to enact a "reboot", they leave Jack Sparrow (and any potential variants) alone, even if we never see him again. His story ran its course by the end of POTC 5 anyway. It can't be all that hard to come up with another interesting pirate captain.

I am a former HUGE POTC fan (and Depp). But I am so over the franchise, Jack or not. The last 2 movies were dreadful (ok, last 3 as I didn’t care much for AWE either). I have zero interest in a reboot or continuation.

I actually think the last two were better than the second two, with the first still being the best. I always found 2 & 3 to be a little long and overwrought. Not bad, mind you, just not as good. I preferred the original stories of 4 & 5 more.

I loved the Jack Sparrow character and Johnny Depp was a favorite too. I'm tired of the pirate movies and Depp needs to take time out to get himself together. Maybe for good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter