Riley Strain-Missing Fraternity Member In Nashville

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
He was asked to leave Luke Bryan's bar after being over served.

I would think him falling into the River is the biggest fear.

Tough,tough story.

I would think it is "weighing" on Luke Bryan a lot as well.

Riley Strain, 22, was last seen just before 10 p.m. in downtown Nashville after leaving the bar belonging to country music star Luke Bryan, Luke’s 32 Bridge. The bar is working with police to provide security camera footage and any other potentially helpful information to aid in the search for Strain, according to a statement it released Tuesday.

The video, which was shared on X, formerly known as Twitter, by the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, shows Strain crossing First Avenue North to Gay Street at 9:47 p.m. He appears disoriented and turns around after he crosses the roadway before continuing on Gay Street.

Strain, of Springfield, Missouri, stands at 6-foot-5 and is 160 pounds and can be seen wearing a black-and-brown button-up shirt with blue jeans. Other pedestrians walk next to Strain on the sidewalk in the footage.

A police helicopter and detectives on foot searched the downtown area in addition to the riverbank Monday, authorities posted online. The investigation as to Strain’s whereabouts is ongoing.

• Sad
Reactions: GAN
Poor kid, I feel for his parents. I also suspect the river. Being alone and intoxicated is a bad combo. But it does sound like a lead up to a 'smiley face killer' story. I hope he is found safe, but it is worrisome the more time that goes by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_face_murder_theory
This was my first thought as well. I seem to remember the story of multiple young and healthy men found dead in bodies of water. As the parent of young adult men, my heart aches for the parents.

The family came to Nashville over the weekend and they were being interviewed on the local news and it was so heartbreaking. Then a couple of days ago, they showed video footage of him walking on the streets after leaving the bar and he looks so messed up, it was very hard to watch. 😢 They said a group of Mizzou students are coming this weekend to help with the search.

My 21 year old friend is in Denmark for the week with guy and girl friends for spring break, D lectured him about the importance of never letting anyone go anywhere alone (which is a common lecture here with 5 kids in their 20’s who enjoy bar scenes). His twin flies to Rome on Friday and I’m calling her today. Our 23 year old was just watching her Nashville videos with me this weekend, last years spring break. She’s in Cabo with her aunt which makes me feel better. It’s so important not to split off. His poor parents!

It is a sad situation, but I have to wonder . . . If it was a group of friends from school who went on the trip, why didn’t one of them leave the bar with him, to make sure he got back to wherever they were staying? I can’t imagine seeing my friend in that condition and just waving them off with a “See you later!”. I mean, I saw one article where the other members of the group tried to report him missing (although it took a while for officers to take a report), so he wasn’t in town on his own.

I hope he is found safe, but my concerns grow the longer it takes to locate him.

I have to wonder... the more you are served, the less you are capable of making sound choices. So who is responsible for the well being of somebody that was served to this point then sent on their way without a thought to their safety? Who "drugs" somebody then sends them on the street?

How do you send somebody out the door like that?

It is a sad situation, but I have to wonder . . . If it was a group of friends from school who went on the trip, why didn’t one of them leave the bar with him, to make sure he got back to wherever they were staying? I can’t imagine seeing my friend in that condition and just waving them off with a “See you later!”. I mean, I saw one article where the other members of the group tried to report him missing (although it took a while for officers to take a report), so he wasn’t in town on his own.

I hope he is found safe, but my concerns grow the longer it takes to locate him.
I wonder if his friends new he was ejected from the bar. If it was crowded and they had gotten a separated at the moment the bartender/bouncer made him leave the people he came with may not have known he left.

It was a fraternity spring formal trip, I think. If everyone was drinking they probably all weren't making the best decisions.

I wonder if his friends new he was ejected from the bar. If it was crowded and they had gotten a separated at the moment the bartender/bouncer made him leave the people he came with may not have known he left.
I didn't read the entire story ...so I wasn't aware he got ejected. No bar should ever send someone out(even if it wasn't them that served him into oblivion) in that condition. That's a huge liability for the bar. They should have contacted the police and let them handle him the correct way.

I didn't read the entire story ...so I wasn't aware he got ejected. No bar should ever send someone out(even if it wasn't them that served him into oblivion) in that condition. That's a huge liability for the bar. They should have contacted the police and let them handle him the correct way.
My young adult kids go out to bars a lot, around here in NYC, Hoboken, down the shore, it’s very common for bouncers to kick out drunk patrons, and there is no way police have time for that. Nashville is teeming with drunk people, bar hopping is constant, college students, wedding parties, girls weekends… I’m sure dozens of tourists get asked to leave a bar on a nightly basis.

My young adult kids go out to bars a lot, around here in NYC, Hoboken, down the shore, it’s very common for bouncers to kick out drunk patrons, and there is no way police have time for that. Nashville is teeming with drunk people, bar hopping is constant, college students, wedding parties, girls weekends… I’m sure dozens of tourists get asked to leave a bar on a nightly basis.
This is true, but it doesn't lessen their responsibility..... my point was the bar will be sued and rightfully so

This is true, but it doesn't lessen their responsibility..... my point was the bar will be sued and rightfully so
Who's to say this last bar served him? They bar hop there. it's a person's responsibility to know how much they've had to drink. Tired of it's everybody else's fault. Why not sue the friends who weren't watching him? Maybe they encouraged him to drink more or gave him the liquor they bought? Anyway, I hope they find him but it's doubtful as time goes on that it will turn out well.

That may depend on whether the last bar he was in actually served him or if he arrived already drunk and they refused service. I have read that there is an investigation into whether the last bar served/overserved him.

Disagree, no city has the manpower to send officers to every bar that removes an intoxicated patron, they’d be showing up every 15 minutes at dime places, and what are the officers going to do with the drunks? It’s not realistic. This isn’t the town of Mayberry. I’ve never heard of this happening. Now, they can be held responsible for over serving if something happens later, like drunk driving, but they did their diligence by refusing to serve him any more.

The situation is very sad, & I hope they find him. I also feel sorry for his friends that were there.

I don’t think the bar is responsible though because where does personal responsibility come in?

If you’re old enough & mature enough to drink, I think it’s on you to figure out ways to drink safely & wisely so that you don’t end up hurt/dead or hurting/killing someone else.

A bar employee/owner can & should stop serving a customer who’s obviously had too many drinks. A bar can kick out a drunk & unruly customer.

However, a bar employee/owner shouldn’t be legally responsible/accountable for what happens after the person leaves the bar/restaurant.

While, yes, ethically & morally, an employee/owner might can take better care of an obviously drunk, stumbling, out-of-control person than just throwing them out of the bar, I don’t think they should be legally required to.

How can an employee/owner know exactly which customer is going to be the one that ends up in some kind of accident?

What if a person, who didn’t act or appear drunk but actually was drunk, left the bar & got into some kind of accident?

Did the employee/owner owe the “she didn’t look or act drunk” person as much as they owed the “he was drunk off his rocker & couldn’t even stand” person?

Should a bar or restaurant serving alcohol collect keys & have the customers blow into a breathalyzer before leaving the establishment?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter