Right side of the Ship for Alaska cruise

tigger2002

DIS Veteran
We are planning to do a one-way Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward on Royal Caribbean since Disney does not offer them. Should we get a balcony on the RIGHT (starboard) side of the ship since the coastline will be on that side all of the way up? Right?

We did this cruise last year. The coastline was on the right, what we saw of it. However, our luck was that almost every day we were in port, the right side was facing out to sea. :)

Do you plan on sitting in your room for the bulk of the cruise? If yes, then make sure you have that balcony on that side. If you'll be moving about, willing to go to public areas, then don't worry about it.

(Had ocean view room for first/so-far-only Alaska cruise and was rarely in the room so it didn't matter what the view was...plus, sitting on the balcony Alaska while the ship is moving sounds windy and cold!)

Adding...the above came off rude, when thinking about it, and I didn't intend that. Sorry for the accidental tone; I'm really stressed out this morning b/c I have a baby shower to go to, and since we've never been able to have a second baby (as anyone who has dealt with infertility knows) I'm pretty uptight. Sorry if it came through in the above.

anyway! If you're on a Radiance class ship, those were MADE for Alaska. Tons of huge walls of glass to look out from, while protected from the outside air. Even though we did have balmy days in Alaska, when walking on a moving ship it's not the warmest of sensations. Our cruise was on Radiance, and even though our "window" overlooked the bow and we could have just stared outside at where we were going, we didn't. We went to the nice protected inside areas and looked out. For me, the idea of sitting on a verandah bundled in blankets to see what I can see just doesn't sound like fun. And that bias shines through when it comes to choosing a room. And it's not like there's nothing to see, ever, on the other side of the Inside Passage; looking at our honeymoon pictures it seems that I took NO pictures from the "right" side of the ship. Guess that coveted side didn't interest me, not sure why.

Last edited:
If you are on the Radiance, I highly recommend that you take advantage of the beauty of the ship - that class was constructed with a lot of glass everywhere specifically with cruising Alaska in mind. Get out of your cabin and enjoy the beauty that is that class of ship!

That said, if you are going to only be on your balcony and want to see land when it is not foggy, that would be starboard (both times I have cruised to Alaska I found that the mornings, when we were sailing into port, it was often foggy so there was not much to see). If you want more of a chance of say seeing whales while camping on your balcony, I would say port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter