Riding with a heart murmur and irregular heartbeat?

DisneyJess11

Earning My Ears
We have a big family tripped planned for 2021 and it will be my boyfriends first time at WDW or any theme park! He will be 32 when we go and he has a heart murmur and irregular heartbeat. This is just something he was born with, he’s always had it. He lives a normal life without it causing him any problems and he doesn’t need medication. He’s very into his exercise, and is all round in great health. As he’s never been on a roller coaster before, I’m quite concerned about what the experience might have on his heart. Naturally, we’re going to speak to our doctor about what he should avoid but I was just curious to hear of anyone else’s experiences in riding the rides with these conditions? I’d hate him to miss out but at the same time know his health absolutely comes first!

I have undiagnosed heart issues, proven while nearly stroking out during Childbirth. At Disney - the only ride that's ever caused issues for me was Rock-n-Roller coaster. And possibly Tower of Terror - if its doing extra drops. Everything else should be ok - from my opinion. hope it helps...

I have paroxysmal afib and am on meds for it. But never had a problem with any rides triggering it but I also didn't try RnR or Tower of Terror. I did the IncrediCoaster (fka California Screamin') at DLR but mainly didn't like getting jostled so much. That's the same reason I avoid Space Mtn for the most part (I will do DLR now with its refurb) but I've not noticed a difference. I will say I notice I have problems more when I'm dehydrated or overly fatigued so that's something to watch for during your visit as well.

I'd definitely have him talk to his doctor.

If he doesn't have experience on "thrill rides" - he may not know his reaction to them. Fear, apprehension, anxiety, excitement - all can impact one's heart rate. For most folks - that just means a small increase in heart rate temporarily that fades after the ride. It takes me a LONG time to calm my heart rate back down after TOT, for example, because I really don't like that ride due to the fear/anxiety it causes me. I rarely ride it - but have sometimes needed to be an adult companion with a kid under age to ride alone. For other folks - the "fun" of riding TOT is just that - fun - with little heart rate increase. There's a reason rides have some "health warnings" posted - its a personal response.

So - if some rides cause his heart to do weirder things than normal - that could be a medical problem for him.

And as the prior poster Pesty said - have him be sure to watch his hydration and fatigue levels more than normal - as for folks with a tendency for weird heart rhythm stuff in the first place - those tend to triggers.

I have mitral valve prolapse without regurgitation, and I have never had any issues. It was not diagnosed until I was 20, but had been doing plenty of thrill rides before then. The only ride that has ever caused me issues is mission space: orange. I have not really done that ride much since I was 25. I enjoy all of the other thrill rides and have done them repeatedly at times. I am not on any meds and have never really had any issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter