• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

We just had to change rooms (and wouldn't you know we have three times as much stuff as usual due to daughter's moving here for CP and stocking up for the storm.) It took 2 hours to pack up, move and unpack:sad:

I was brushing my teeth and heard really loud dripping in the bathroom. I thought my daughter didn't shut the shower faucet completely. I opened the door and sheets of water were falling from the light fixture. There must be so much water on the roof.

We are now down the hall and right above Stormalong Bay. The wind is shaking the walls and the beds!

I'm not encouraging anyone to leave their rooms until given the all-clear by WDW staff, but there's not really an "eye" to this storm anymore. More like a band. Once it's past, there's some trailing precipitation of much lower intensity, and then all clear beyond.

I concur. I'm watching WESH and WFTV. There's a huge wall of wind, which is the remnants of the northeast side of Irma's eye. The Southwest side fell apart when it hit land around Naples.

It's going to remain breezy thru dawn and there's probably quite a bit of debris around so don't go exploring before full light tomorrow. And when you do, be careful. What didn't fall in the storm might be teetering tomorrow. You wouldn't want your Obit to read "Died when hit by a giant Mickey sign in WDW."

I'm not encouraging anyone to leave their rooms until given the all-clear by WDW staff, but there's not really an "eye" to this storm anymore. More like a band. Once it's past, there's some trailing precipitation of much lower intensity, and then all clear beyond.

Yes, the weather channel is oh-so-reluctantly admitting that the circular hurricane motion has broken up - they are trying all kinds of circuitous (ironic) talking to not admit such - even showing hours old alarmist video clips - the eye is now just an eyebrow

it is still a strong storm, but once the heavy rains and wind pass, there will be little or no 'backlash' - there may be some rain a little while later, but not storm conditions - there is a large break of weather in the 'circle' and then possibly some outer bands of rain

DO NOT think that the rain stopped and things seem safe if you see standing water - you have NO idea if there might be live wires hitting the water around you - wait for some sort of word from WDW before you step in even the littlest amount of standing water after a storm

We just had to change rooms (and wouldn't you know we have three times as much stuff as usual due to daughter's moving here for CP and stocking up for the storm.) It took 2 hours to pack up, move and unpack:sad:

I was brushing my teeth and heard really loud dripping in the bathroom. I thought my daughter didn't shut the shower faucet completely. I opened the door and sheets of water were falling from the light fixture. There must be so much water on the roof.

We are now down the hall and right above Stormalong Bay. The wind is shaking the walls and the beds!

I hope your new room is better - and fully understand that the sound of gushing water might be blamed an a hapless 20-something young woman vs a hurricane

IMG_0162.JPG Art of Animation here. Power and wifi still on, not sure about tv. We've all actually been sleeping through most of it, or trying to anyway. I don't see any debris or downed trees from our window. I am actually really surprised I've slept through most of this. You can tell the wind looks crazy, but it's not as loud as I expected.

View attachment 268664 Art of Animation here. Power and wifi still on, not sure about tv. We've all actually been sleeping through most of it, or trying to anyway. I don't see any debris or downed trees from our window. I am actually really surprised I've slept through most of this. You can tell the wind looks crazy, but it's not as loud as I expected.

This is why Disney World is one of the best, if not THE BEST place to stay during a hurricane. Everything is built to withstand Cat 3-4 hurricanes. Seeing this pic doesn't surprise me at all but at the same time, stay safe & still try to enjoy yourself cause no matter what, this will be a memorable experience for you & your family. :)

We're staying over at the Beach Club through the storm. The staff here has been absolutely incredible. They're really doing everything that they can to not only help keep us safe, but entertained as well. I know I'm going to have quite a few letters to write after this to Disney to highlight how incredible some of their staff members have been for helping to get us through this storm.

We did notice they were zip tying most of the double doors closed tonight. It is only a little disconcerting since some of those exits are major emergency exit routes.
IMG_7750.JPG

We did notice they were zip tying most of the double doors closed tonight. It is only a little disconcerting since some of those exits are major emergency exit routes.

I hate to think how bad things would have to be inside to want to go *outside* into that mess!

Hopefully they'll untie them once the worst is past, which should be literally any minute (if not already).

New 2am NWS report - Category 1

Yeah, Irma met Disney and Mickey knocked her down a notch! (At least that's my Disney fan spin on it.)

I just finished watching a live feed of MK as shot from the Contemporary. Looks like some transformers blew behind the park but power held just find. There's a link to the feed and archive video in my Twitter feed. @BroganMc

We're staying over at the Beach Club through the storm. The staff here has been absolutely incredible. They're really doing everything that they can to not only help keep us safe, but entertained as well. I know I'm going to have quite a few letters to write after this to Disney to highlight how incredible some of their staff members have been for helping to get us through this storm.

View attachment 268665

That's unsettling as someone who has been related to volunteer firefighters and paid-firefighters for over 40 years - that is most definitely against fire code!!!! Sit a person in front of the doors or put a sign up

View attachment 268665

The thinking might be that it would be easier/faster to cut cable ties than to have to move a cupboard or couch event they must open those doors.

On another note, all you guys sound so calm, you should all be proud of how you have dealt with this hurricane.

Hope it is all over for you all really soon.

Sending thoughts and prayers from Australia

Later Weather Channel updates as barbliny said down to a Cat 1 storm, as of 2am, sustained winds are approx 85mph, and what would be the center of the storm is approx 40 miles West Southwest of Magic Kingdom (using as a centralized point for WDW) just outside the town of Zephyrhills FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter