• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

Hi...we are at Pop Century (50's building behind the jukebox). The CMs have been awesome. Everyone with a smile and super helpful. Food court was open until 3pm today. People were in the pool all morning until it closed around 2pm. We haven't experienced any lines to speak of at the food court and thought that was all handled very well. Almost every guest we have encountered has been great as well. Seems like people are prepared and knew what was ahead of them so for the most part people who didn't want to be here have left. We are one of those that flew in yesterday morning (my wife and I are both in our 30s and no kids). We may have made a different choice if we had little ones to consider. In our opinion it was worth it to get done what we did at HS and Epcot yesterday. We feel comfortable with our decision and are incredibly impressed with Disney and the CMs during these couple of days. Heavy rains on and off but we expect the worst overnight through 8am tomorrow. If anyone needs anything at POP until the curfew tonight let us know. We have chargers, plenty of water, and snacks. Best wishes to everyone and let's all stay safe.

JUst in case you didn't spot it... Pop food court is open til 7.30 tonight now, so you can refill those mugs again before curfew :-)

Anyone at OKW, if you see Tristan from Purdue working, be nice to him, he's my nephew! He's on the CP, and he said he's working through Irma. Frankly, I was a lot less worried about him once he told me that, knowing that he would be on property. :)

I'll be at OKW in a few weeks, we have an ADR at Olivia's for lunch, and my parents and I will be checking out the resort - we've never been there. And all 3 of us are Purdue grads, so we will look for Tristan! :-)

On another note - what's up with this movie schedule?! Not a complaint, just commentary. We were hoping to see Moana, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, BATB 2017... things along that line.

Instead it's been:

*Tron:Legacy
*Beauty and the Beast (1992)
*Muppet Treaure Island
*Brave
And now...
*The Santa Clause.

Um, what?

They also seem to be on a loop (same movies last night.) I definitely appreciate the gesture - it's just the selection that seems a bit peculiar!

I'll be at OKW in a few weeks, we have an ADR at Olivia's for lunch, and my parents and I will be checking out the resort - we've never been there. And all 3 of us are Purdue grads, so we will look for Tristan! :-)
Cool! Purdue grad here as well - '88! (Yeah, a while ago!) He seems to work a lot of extra shifts too, so you might see him. I think he's a general "helper", so you may see him around the lobby or somewhere like that. Either way, enjoy!

On another note - what's up with this movie schedule?! Not a complaint, just commentary. We were hoping to see Moana, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, BATB 2017... things along that line.

Instead it's been:

*Tron:Legacy
*Beauty and the Beast (1992)
*Muppet Treaure Island
*Brave
And now...
*The Santa Clause.

Um, what?

They also seem to be on a loop (same movies last night.) I definitely appreciate the gesture - it's just the selection that seems a bit peculiar!
My husband and I love The Santa Clause. We just tuned in right as the fell off the roof scene as we were watching the local news. But I admit it's September and it's odd to see a Christmas movie. Heck even my Christmas in July movies that I recorded I haven't even watched yet lol

British family here at the Yacht Club. We've been so impressed with the entertainment staff in the lobby with both kids and dogs. Our kids are 19 and 22 though lol! We stocked up on snacks and water through the week and have bought food from the marketplace today. We fly home Wednesday night if all gets back to normal. Have to say all staff and locals that we've encountered have been extremely supportive and wished us all well.

Most respectfully I would like to add another viewpoint. No judgement, no animosity, just another side....

Some dogs, when left alone in a strange setting, will bark, and bark, and BARK. Perhaps the pet owners who are out and about are choosing the more respectful option. If they need a meal or even just a short break from the room, leaving their pet could have far worse consequences. Most of these animals are probably well socialized and could pose a great learning experience for the apprehensive child or adult. Friendly pet owners usually LOVE to share their love of pets with others. :dog:

No answer for those with allergies but hopefully you have an epi pen available.

Yeah, this would be my little fella. He would bark in a strange hotel room by himself.

That's why they sell those no-barking collars - they work great. Dogs that bark because they are alone in a strange setting are not to be trusted around other dogs and people, in a strange setting, wouldn't you think? Having had a few incidents with poorly trained dogs, I'm surprised WDW is allowing them in so many common places. One bite, and there's a lawsuit in the making.

The point about the barking is well-taken, but unfortunately those who are legitimately scared of dogs - and I'm not talking about kids who are just wary - will be in an awful situation, unable to fully relax and enjoy common areas without constantly looking around for a surprise dog. I got over my very serious fear when I was a teenager (and now actively seek out every single dog so I can pet it!), but my mom had hers all her life.

That said, I'm happy to see hotels taking pets, if the alternative is people refusing to evacuate because of them.

Luckily, WDW has a deep enough pocket and workforce to absorb the costs of damage done by pets in the hotel rooms. Hopefully they will do some extra cleanings and guests are being responsible about cleaning up after their dogs. Any cats at the resorts, or other pets?

It is never completely pet-free, as service animals are allowed.

Yes, but service dogs are (supposed to be) working dogs, and well trained to do specific tasks for the disabled person. They are not pets - and are (supposedly) better trained and the owners are (supposed to be) responsible for keeping the dog in line. For example, WDW has specific areas for service dogs to relieve themselves, and service dogs should be trained to not got the bathroom unless it is an appropriate location and time.

We arrived at WDW the day after Charley hit - hoping the guests at WDW have the same experience we did - incredible service, wonderful CMs, etc. Stay safe tonight and tomorrow!

Welp guys my husband and I are at All-Star Sports. We got in Friday and did online check-in (which worked perfectly). We went to Universal right after getting in on Friday and we went to AK and MK yesterday.

I posted pics on one of the other threads with Goofy and Pluto at the food court this morning. All CMs we've encountered have been very pleasent. When we got back to our room last night after MK we had a trash bag on our door filled with extra towels, extra toiletries, a flashlight, and extra tissues. Yesterday we had called housekeeping from our phone to request more toilet paper and they promptly brought us more.

That's why they sell those no-barking collars - they work great. Dogs that bark because they are alone in a strange setting are not to be trusted around other dogs and people, in a strange setting, wouldn't you think? Having had a few incidents with poorly trained dogs, I'm surprised WDW is allowing them in so many common places. One bite, and there's a lawsuit in the making.

Those no-bark collars do not work for every dog
As to your second sentence....

I seriously should not have read this thread. We were due at the Poly on Friday (leaving next Saturday) and I cancelled everything Friday morning. I'm so upset I could cry.

I'm in the same boat but keep reminding myself that I made the best decision I could at the time with the information that I had. I also keep reminding myself that the worst part of the storm is yet to hit Orlando. I have an 8yo DD and when I was packing ear plugs and speakers so that she couldn't hear the storm I asked myself if it was worth it? I did what was best for us and realize that each person is doing the exact same thing.

I'm glad Disney is taking such amazing care of it's guests and am so happy for those who are there and having fun during this unique time. Praying all stay safe!

I made the best decision I could at the time with the information that I had
You absolutely made the right decision. If I had a young child, I would have done the same. Don't beat yourself up over this. I fly out early next week but am a solo guest adult. And at this time, nothing is certain for next week. If I had one of my young nieces in tow, I would have cancelled my vacation already. Not even the best in the business could predict where the Hurricane's path would go at the last minute. In the end, you & your family are safe. You made the right call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter