• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riding out Hurricane Dorian at Disneyland

cdoc29

Cruising with the Crazies
So we were supposed to leave tomorrow (Aug 31) for an 8 day trip to WDW. But as we have watched the storm develop over the last three days (into a now Cat 4 Hurricane) and people scrambling to change their plans to get to Disney World in time to ride out the storm we choose to take a different path. Cancelled our reservations last night and got a great deal on a last minute flight for Monday to LAX, booked the Disneyland Hotel for 7 nights, 5 day park hopper tickets and Maxpass.

So we are pretty familiar with WDW but wondering what we need to know/do/book/experience at the Original Disneyland?

We got a Character Breakfast at The Plaza one morning, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for our little one and reservations for Savi's Workshop, Olgas Cantina.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Check out the stickies at the top of the page for the tips threads. Especially check Hydroguy's tips, including DLR for WDW vets.

Disneyland Daily website-- Casey Starnes does some awesome tips and plans.

Sorry your plans got waylaid, but way to roll with the changes! I hope you have a fantastic time.

Looks like you booked some good choices! Can I just say that I love that DL is so flexible that this sort of last-minute trip is possible?

If you're interested in Fantasmic!, you might want to consider a dining package for it. Otherwise, you should be good on the reservation front.

Is Tuesday your first day in the parks?

Enjoy your trip!

Looks like you booked some good choices! Can I just say that I love that DL is so flexible that this sort of last-minute trip is possible?

If you're interested in Fantasmic!, you might want to consider a dining package for it. Otherwise, you should be good on the reservation front.

Is Tuesday your first day in the parks?

Enjoy your trip!

Yes Tuesday is our first day and the fact that DL is flexible with how their Fastpass system works played a huge role in our decision to make the switch.

Have an awesome time!! And now, not much will even be happening here at WDW, but you're getting a better trip out of it!

We went to DL for the first time this August. Previously, we've only been to WDW for summer trips. I LOVED DL and found it much, much easier to navigate than WDW. MaxPass is fantastic. You can start pulling FP's as soon as you enter the park. We prioritized Fantasmic, Radiator Springs, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Toy Story and Soarin', but pulled so many more FP's during the day. We got a dining package for World of Color and were very happy with our location (although next time, I might splurge for the Dessert Party. My feet would have appreciated a seat!). I loved the park hopper and the ability to go back and forth between the parks. And, as someone who has only been to WDW in August, I SO, SO appreciated the SoCal weather. I had a much more comfortable experience in DL without the rain downpours, intense heat and humidity. Have a great trip!

Glad you are staying safe. You'll find a Disneyland vacation to be very easy to navigate. The counter service food is much better than normal theme parks. If you want to dine at Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou, you will want to make a reservation.

If you utilize your one hour early entrance each day that you stay there, you'll be able to get all the headliners with using a Fastpass.

I recommend the seated World of Color Dessert party because it's nice to sit for a while after standing/walking all day. You have to pay in advance for that and you need to cancel 24 hours before if you aren't going to make it.

Have fun!

You made a fantastic decision!!! Have a wonderful time!!! DLR is so much easier to do last minute-- our favorite things are that everything is in walking distance and that there is a lot of flexibility. You don't have to plan every minute of every day! We love the character breakfast at the Plaza! If you want to splurge you might think about the World of Color dessert party- it is so much easier than trying to stake out a spot and standing through the show. Definitely see Carsland at night---also if you enter in the evening through the wharf area-- it is a great view.

I saw someone on news who sends his elderly mom to WDW during storms because it’s supposedly the safest place to be

Nope. My point was that maybe people shouldn’t be freaking out about going

Everyone has a different comfort level. TBH, Disneyland is probably a way better choice than WDW this upcoming week. The weather is gonna stink there for several days. It's going to be ungodly hot, humid, rainy, windy. Who wants that on vacation?

Everyone has a different comfort level. TBH, Disneyland is probably a way better choice than WDW this upcoming week. The weather is gonna stink there for several days. It's going to be ungodly hot, humid, rainy, windy. Who wants that on vacation?

I agree. Florida is always hot and humid, weather better at Disneyland

I saw someone on news who sends his elderly mom to WDW during storms because it’s supposedly the safest place to be

LOL, I guess it depends on perspective. If she lives on the Florida coast or barrier island in Brevard County then definitely WDW would be safer, if she lives outside Washington D.C. where I live then WDW would not be safer.

Even with all the storm changes and people saying it looks like it won't make landfall I am still comfortable with the changes I made. Auto Train was cancelled (our original transportation) and even MCO closing down. There will still be an impact from sometime on Monday through potentially Thursday which was in the middle of my vacation. I work as a firefighter and our FEMA team (Va Task Force 1) was activated with a heavy 80 man team and deployed to Florida, so taking my kids to an area where FEMA is sending teams for potential rescues from the storm was not something I wanted to entertain. I was fortunate to be in a position where I could switch plans at the drop of hat while I wait for the refunds to come in from the cancellations.

Thank you to all who posted threads and suggestions they have helped immensely with our planning and we are feeling pretty confident to get the most out of our 5 days in the parks. I feel like we can take things more leisurely than we would at WDW and go with the flow.

Consider yourself lucky. WDW is an absolute mess right now. If I won a vacation to my choice of the 2, I'd pick Disneyland hands down.

Ask to ride in the cone (front or back) of the Monorail. What a great ride! During the heat of the day and you want to stay in the parks, check out Animation Academy and draw a couple of characters, see the play Frozen. Since you are staying onsite, MM/EE is your friend. That extra hour in the morning is so nice, especially DCA! Get the Disneyland app on your phone and check it out. When you are in the parks and are hungry, you can pull up menus, check ride times, etc. Get Maxpass, and above all, enjoy yourself!
Wishing you a great trip filled with lots of pixie dust!

... Definitely see Carsland at night---also if you enter in the evening through the wharf area-- it is a great view.
More specifically, be on Rte. 66 just before sunset -- Google for the time on the day of -- then be on Rte. 66 about 5-10 minutes before that (earlier if you want a snack or drink from the Cozy Cones) -- find a good viewing spot in front of Flo's on either side of the street -- wait for the lights to dim and the music to start... -- and get ready for the magic! Just like something out of the movie, "Cars" -- "... life could be a dream, sh'boom..."
Then, make sure to ride RSR at night -- so magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter