• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ridiculous price to add hoppers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
We have often left ourselves the option to add hopping to our tickets. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don’t.
We are currently on the bus leaving DHS after learning they want $91+ PER TICKET to add hopping to a 2-day base ticket. Dh is beyond annoyed.
I understand that costs rise but this is insane. We’re just gonna go back to our resort and relax but I honestly think this may be our last visit. I can’t take the price gouging any more.
It keeps getting harder and harder to feel the magic here.
:sad2:

We have often left ourselves the option to add hopping to our tickets. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don’t.
We are currently on the bus leaving DHS after learning they want $91+ PER TICKET to add hopping to a 2-day base ticket. Dh is beyond annoyed.
I understand that costs rise but this is insane. We’re just gonna go back to our resort and relax but I honestly think this may be our last visit. I can’t take the price gouging any more.
It keeps getting harder and harder to feel the magic here.
:sad2:
The pricing is due to “date specific” tickets which means your tickets would have had to be upgraded to the new pricing that also includes hoppers.

We bought these tickets last year and they are date specific. Well, season specific for “value season”. We chose these dates to visit so that we could use up those tickets before they expire in Jan. Still it is highway robbery.

We went through the same thing on Friday, our last day on a three day pass. We left Magic Kingdom and headed over to Epcot thinking we could add the hopper to the last day. Nope, they wanted us to up grade all three days. After much discussion, they were able to add the hopper to our tickets for $61 each. I felt the same, just seems like Disney is really gouging the customer, but, I guess they can, look how many people are there.

Totally understand your feelings regarding the never ending price gouging...however , I hope you can find a way to adapt and overcome (as my wife and I have) these issues and can continue to visit and keep the Disney magic alive . Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and...Happy Holidays !

We went through the same thing on Friday, our last day on a three day pass. We left Magic Kingdom and headed over to Epcot thinking we could add the hopper to the last day. Nope, they wanted us to up grade all three days. After much discussion, they were able to add the hopper to our tickets for $61 each. I felt the same, just seems like Disney is really gouging the customer, but, I guess they can, look how many people are there.

Well, park hopping is an all-or-nothing entitlement. There's no them "wanting" to do anything – that's how the option works. By waiting until the very last day, you didn't take full advantage of the value for the price.

We bought these tickets last year and they are date specific. Well, season specific for “value season”. We chose these dates to visit so that we could use up those tickets before they expire in Jan. Still it is highway robbery.
When Disney put the new ticket pricing into effect in October, your “value” tickets no longer existed - they needed to be “upgraded” to newly priced hoppers.

Just for fun: What do you think would be a reasonable price to add the park hopper?

When Disney put the new ticket pricing into effect in October, your “value” tickets no longer existed - they needed to be “upgraded” to newly priced hoppers.
I'm not questioning the veracity of your statement, but it seems like the ticket should be bridged.

If I go on the website and buy a 2 day base ticket that is valid now, the price is $234.67 If I do a hopper it is $303.89. So it should be $69.22 to hop. That is what would be fair to charge the OP, I think.

I'm not questioning the veracity of your statement, but it seems like the ticket should be bridged.

If I go on the website and buy a 2 day base ticket that is valid now, the price is $234.67 If I do a hopper it is $303.89. So it should be $69.22 to hop. That is what would be fair to charge the OP, I think.

That is not how "price bridging" works anymore, and it has not worked that way for several years.
Bridging is now figured based on when the original ticket was purchased.

Take a look at the post in the Ticket Sticky called "Cost to Upgrade Tickets" HERE.

Yeah, that's one thing about buying tickets in advance. If a price increase happens between when you bought them and when you use them, you have to pay that increase to make any changes. Of course, you're not paying any more than someone who bought their ticket more recently, but it does negate the savings from buying them before an increase.

That is not how "price bridging" works anymore, and it has not worked that way for several years.
Bridging is now figured based on when the original ticket was purchased.

Take a look at the post in the Ticket Sticky called "Cost to Upgrade Tickets" HERE.
Oh, I believe it doesn't work that way anymore, but I think it would be a better practice if it did.
Now, Disney could have probably made $62 extra each on these tickets. Instead, they have no sale and the OP is a little upset with Disney.

Gotta say I agree. We're passholders so it doesn't affect us but when I see those prices I'm blown away. I'm not against spending big bucks for Disney (we love Aulani and the cruise line which are very expensive), but I just don't think WDW is worth what they are charging currently. It's just not the same product as it used to be. I don't know how they fix it... I miss the early 2000s to 2010s.

That sort of bridging only works for tickets bought with a 3rd party. If I buy it from Disney, they know exactly how much I paid and will just take that off the price of the new ticket. If I bought it from Undercover Tourist, they wouldn't know what I actually paid, so would apply the full "Disney" price to the upgrade, when I actually paid a discounted amount.

Just for fun: What do you think would be a reasonable price to add the park hopper?

I knew from the past, or perhaps this has changed recently too, that the hopping option is the same price whether it’s a 3-day ticket or a 10-day ticket. I also knew that it’s better to do so on the first day of use vs the last day, as a pp recently learned.

I was expecting it to cost around $60-65 pp.
$91 is almost another “day”. I’m not against splurging on vacations. We have done 18 Disney cruises with our 2 kids over the years including Alaska and Med. Plus countless trips to WDW since our kids were 3 & in utero when we started, now grown. I’m not a cheapskate; I just can’t choke down $182+ for dh and I to hop today and tomorrow. I can’t see the value in that.
Dh is considering trying a different GR location since ours had “Earning my Ears” on her ID.

That's the problem. The $91 is to update your year old ticket to the current price for a 2 day hopper.
I knew from the past, or perhaps this has changed recently too, that the hopping option is the same price whether it’s a 3-day ticket or a 10-day ticket. I also knew that it’s better to do so on the first day of use vs the last day, as a pp recently learned.

I was expecting it to cost around $60-65 pp.
$91 is almost another “day”. I’m not against splurging on vacations. We have done 18 Disney cruises with our 2 kids over the years including Alaska and Med. Plus countless trips to WDW since our kids were 3 & in utero when we started, now grown. I’m not a cheapskate; I just can’t choke down $182+ for dh and I to hop today and tomorrow. I can’t see the value in that.
Dh is considering trying a different GR location since ours had “Earning my Ears” on her ID.

That is the cost if you were upgrading a current one park one day ticket to a hopper. Since your ticket was bought a couple price increases ago the cost you were given to upgrade to park hoppers also includes those price increases. You'd be paying the difference between the ticket you bought last year and the current price of a 2 day hopper.

That sort of bridging only works for tickets bought with a 3rd party. If I buy it from Disney, they know exactly how much I paid and will just take that off the price of the new ticket. If I bought it from Undercover Tourist, they wouldn't know what I actually paid, so would apply the full "Disney" price to the upgrade, when I actually paid a discounted amount.

However, the way it works NOW (and over the past several years...)

They would apply the full "Disney" price that was in place on the date that the discounted ticket was minted by Disney.
Not necessarily on the date that the user was upgrading.

So, if the original ticket was bought from UT on say, August 20, 2017,
and UT bought that ticket from Disney on, say, July 10, 2017,
the "bridged" upgrade value allowed for that UT ticket would be what the full "Disney" price was on July 10, 2017.
(Not the full "Disney" price on the date the actual upgrade was done.)

We don't get hoppers anymore although I completely understand why others do. For me the cost didn't justify how little we actually hopped.
Sorry OP for your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter