Rides with lines like Avatar at WDW

Nevada Jen

DIS Veteran
Last time we went to WDW without a DAS because it was under the old system where you could get 3 fastpasses in advance. With that and stacking, we did not end up in very many enclosed lines that did not move. We could not get Avatar fastpasses and tried the regular line (luckily at closing or the whole day would have been over). Turns out the enclosed lines that do not move in a steady orderly fashion are not doable for my son due to his disabilities. I am not positive we will be able to get a DAS for him (he presents pretty typical until he is triggered). Assuming we can't get a DAS, which regular ride lines of the newer rides are similar to Avatar (enclosed and not particularly single file)? Oddly, this problem seems to be worse at WDW where all lines are wheelchair accessible that at DL were most are not. Thanks in advance!

Can you give examples of lines he does well in? A lot of lines are wider and people don’t stand single file and shuffle around within their groups. Rise has a line system where people are being shuffled and told to stand in various places, not in a single file line. How does your son do with Haunted Mansion? That’s a pretty messy line when entering and exiting the stretching room.

Can you give examples of lines he does well in? A lot of lines are wider and people don’t stand single file and shuffle around within their groups. Rise has a line system where people are being shuffled and told to stand in various places, not in a single file line. How does your son do with Haunted Mansion? That’s a pretty messy line when entering and exiting the stretching room.
Agree. I'm not sure I understand what OP is asking and would help to know exactly what kind of line she wants to avoid.

My son has a hard time with switchbacks, having people on either side of him in lines. It lends to the visual and physical feeling of no escape (he's right, there rarely is) and being trapped in smaller space. Humans are his triggers so being trapped among them is difficult. Big Thunder is a big no-no. In a line like HM where it's groups in a larger space, we try to keep him to the wall where at least next to one side feels open. And we buffer other sides.

Last edited:
As far as long, enclosed lines that get a little chaotic (off the top of my head): RotR, Pirates, Peter Pan once you are in the Darling house can take a while, Frozen.

I am not positive we will be able to get a DAS for him (he presents pretty typical until he is triggered).
Just commenting on this... your son won't be evaluated or observed in any manner when registering for DAS. You will be asked why he needs a DAS. What you should do ahead of time is think through what are his triggers, how do those triggers relate to waiting in a typical queue environment, what happens when he experiences those triggers, etc. Think through past trips and what didn't work for him and why didn't it work for him. Explain that "why" when requesting DAS.

Thank you for the info on registering. I was figuring they were kind of evaluating him. I don't know what made me think that! I was really worrying about how that would go.

As to what he has trouble with in terms of lines, its the enclosed disorganized lines. We are mostly disneyland people and many of the lines are not wheelchair accessible and largely outside, which coincidentally means they are not wide enough to allow disorganized chaos. Now that someone asked, I am realizing, he doesn't generally do well in most line situations. We pretty much work the whole time to minimize lines that get stuck and block him from people touching him. If the line is moving or outside he seems to do OK. If the line stalls it gives him time to get worked up about the closeness, loudness, unruliness or whatever his trigger issue for the day is. The more I think about it, I am just worried this is going to be a very hard trip with the old fastpass system gone. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter