Rides too rough for heart patient

Wyatt's Grandma

Earning My Ears
My husband is scheduled for a possible heart stent tomorrow. The doctor says he will be ok to fly on Saturday. We are still planning to go on this trip since we having been planning it for a long time. I’ve booked a scooter for him to use around the resort and parks. We have reservations for all 4 parks, are there any rides he should absolutely avoid? I’m leary about the roller coasters but he loves them.

I would ask on the DisABILITIES board here on the DIS and title the thread “rides too rough for new heart stent patient”

This warning is on a LOT of the rides. The doctor may give guidance to avoid "rough" rides or similar. It's a real trick to know unless you've been on them before. We can describe the motion on the rides but you have to make the call if too much or not given doctor guidance. Are there any rides in particular you want described?

Definitely ask the doctor. I think the question is more "what rides can he ride" than "what rides should he avoid." I would think he'd have to avoid many rides.

I suggest he ask his doctor. Frankly, if I just had a recent significant medical procedure, I wouldn't do any rides. Even tame rides can involve getting bumped by the car ahead/behind you as they start/stop or other sudden motions when turning. I would reschedule the trip for a future time when everyone would be in a better condition to enjoy it more.

The signs are CYA for Disney. Listen to your doctor, not anonymous posters on the internet.

I think he should ask his doctor, but also maybe watch some youtube videos of the rollercoasters to see how wild they are. His doctor may approve some rollercoasters but not others.

Bottom line this is a question for his cardiologist to answer.... as he knows his patient's condition and what risks he might be more susceptible too.

Bottom line this is a question for his cardiologist to answer.... as he knows his patient's condition and what risks he might be more susceptible too.
He had 2 stents put in on Wednesday. He feels amazingly well today. The doctor said he can an go on anything he wants to. Maybe I’m being over cautious but I‘m nervous about the roller coasters.

There is nothing wrong with being overly cautious :hug:
My DH has had 2 easy recoveries from angioplasty procedures, about 20 years apart. However both times the surgeon decided a stent wasn't necessary so his situation was a little different. I'm glad your DH is doing well.

He had 2 stents put in on Wednesday. He feels amazingly well today. The doctor said he can an go on anything he wants to. Maybe I’m being over cautious but I‘m nervous about the roller coasters.
I get you being worried. My Dad had valve replacement surgery so I did have some worries with him going on coasters but I didn't want to keep him from having fun while he was able to. If the cardiologist said it is ok and he feels comfortable doing it maybe let him decide.

DH has had 2 open hearts and has a pacemaker/defibrillator. His cardiologist has said he can ride whatever he feels like. I kept asking him “Are you sure you can go on this?”Now I don’t even ask because he knows his limitations. Honestly walking around alot is probably more tiring cardiac wise than any roller coaster. He rides everything except FOP, Teacups, and Mission Space due to motion sickness. But it’s always good to speak to your personal doctor for specific recommendations.

Hope you both had a great time (and got your money back on the scooter you probably didn't use!) I had a stent placed, and the next day I felt great and my friend and I celebrated at Disneyland.

I'm so grateful for modern medicine and those who choose to practice it. My grandfather had several heart attacks and eventually died a bedridden invalid. These days, if he saw a cardiologist regularly, he probably would have gone in for a quick procedure before the first attack, and gone on with his life. I really would have liked that for him.

My husband is scheduled for a possible heart stent tomorrow. The doctor says he will be ok to fly on Saturday. We are still planning to go on this trip since we having been planning it for a long time. I’ve booked a scooter for him to use around the resort and parks. We have reservations for all 4 parks, are there any rides he should absolutely avoid? I’m leary about the roller coasters but he loves them.
My husband had a quad bypass during Covid - complete surprise. I would avoid roller coasters due to the sudden change in BP that a roller coaster can cause. It really is a case by case basis but I suggest getting medical advice first. My husband can do Big Thunder but he avoids anything more intense such as Everest. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

The last time we were there was the 1st time being on blood pressure medication, and the more intense version of Mission Space got to me where I felt close to passing out. Where it is a centifuge type ride to simulate G-forces, it makes sense that it could effect blood flow. It had never been a problem before that. I definitely will avoid that on our next trip next week. Other than that ride, I didn't have any issue with coasters or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter