Rides to avoid with EDS

MariMouse

Earning My Ears
My daughter loves roller coasters but due to progressive Ehlers-Danlos issues has an unstable neck and multiple joint dislocations so she can no longer ride them. What other rides should she avoid? I’m guessing they won’t let her wear her neck collar to help stabilize the neck on these rides. 😂. She is really bummed about this.

I wouldn't do the safari. This is the bumpiest ride that WDW has, IMO.
Hi there! I too remembered it to be a really extreme ride on the joints, but it wasn't this last time! We were there in early August, and CMs were FABULOUS, kind, and secured my wheelchair really well. It ended up being about as rough on this EDS body as Pirates (though getting into and out of Pirates about did me in 😳). Safari at AK was pretty incredible and is now in my top 3 favorite "rides" ever. 😊 Dinosaur was broken, as were Splash so I can't say how they are now. One i can no longer do is ToT, as my flopsy joints and unstable neck cannot handle it. I've had multiple dislocations on that ride, and no longer go on it.

At HS, Toy Story Mania really whips you around the corners, and there is a lot of bumping and jostling.

Star Tours can kind of throw you around a bit, too.

I have never been able to rid FOP at AK, but from the people I know who have ridden it, and the video I have seen, it may be too bumpy also.

I hate to hear that she is going to miss her favorite rides. Maybe take this as an opportunity to find and try things she may have overlooked in the past? Disney World is so much more than just the rides - I hope she can find new favorite things on this trip!

Mamabunny has great advice, resort hop to AKL and view the animals there if your daughter is unable to ride Kili Safari. Go to Kidani Lodge and go to the balconies just off the main entrance, wonderful views. Explore the corridors, not just the art work, but, there are other animals to view too. 429955429956

The queue for Flight if Passage is killer if she’s self propelled in a wheelchair, or it was for me. The ride was worth it and something I’ll dream about until I get to do it again! It’s a little like a motorcycle. I have EDS and transferred directly from my (manual) wheelchair to the seat, then you lean forward and they secure your back in that position. My son (who may have EDS) sucked in his stomach from nervousness and then was caught a bit breathless. He was okay but that’s possibly something to watch. I was fine for the ride, though there were moments that might not be good if one has a floppy neck. It was my family’s favorite ride ever and it was 4.5 minutes of absolute bliss and wonder! If you’re unsure though I would see if there’s video of it or anything.

As with most everything in life we’re all affected differently. EDS is not a one size fits all disorder and the different types do make a difference on which rides would be advisable and which prohibitive. I hope your family has a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter