Rides to avoid for motion sickness

And good to know about the Hogwarts ride. I figured it was out of question but now I'm definitely taking it off the maybe list, haha

I did not see anyone mention this- for 7DMT- ask for the 1st car. It does not rock side to side too much so it's easier to do when you have motion sickness. I have been a few cars back too and there is a huge difference.

Same as most people here. Star Tours and Rockin Roller Coaster are terrible for me. Another vote for the Hogwarts ride at Universal, its a very rough ride. I wouldn't do it if I had any back issues!

ugh I don't even get motion sickness - I can handle MS Orange, Star Tours multiple times, etc - but that Hogwarts ride was too much for me.

I did not see anyone mention this- for 7DMT- ask for the 1st car. It does not rock side to side too much so it's easier to do when you have motion sickness. I have been a few cars back too and there is a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip!

I can't do anything that spins. Other than that, I'm usually good... but... a previous poster mentioned Expedition Everest. I LOVE roller coasters and can go on many of them and feel fine~ but for some reason, going downhill backwards on EE definitely makes me queasy and dizzy for a few minutes.
(The only other ride that makes me miserable is at IOA, which is Harry Potter/The Forbidden Journey.... :crazy2:)

AS you can already see...the answer varies considerably from person to person.

The only sure way to avoid all risk is to avoid everything altogether, but that won't make for a very exciting trip.

I think a better general approach is to try and keep an open mind and try as much as possible- until something bothers you- THEN take the approach of avoiding the TYPE of ride that BOTHERS you.

When/if you know something very specific makes you feel ill, then you'll want to rank the attractions with that specific feature, start small, and gradually make your way up the ladder until you reach the end of your comfort zone.

I also worry a bit when folks mention variable rides like the teacups. The intensity of the teacups has much to do with how much you choose to spin your cup. (and duration) If you get a solo cup, and don't add any extra spin, it might not bother you at all. It might also be okay if you control the cup yourself. Plenty of folks DO get sick on the teacups, but only when they can't control it.

We can help you rank rides that spin....or whatever feature it is that bothers you- drops, etc.

Further, there's also a few easy ways to mitigate some of the effects that are bothersome. I think what you described- perhaps- is that you are sensitive to rides where the visual image doesn't match the actual motion. That's pretty common. that means virtual reality rides might bother you. An easy trick to help is to simply close your eyes during the (most extreme) simulations.

As I said earlier, often the best approach is to start small (tame), and work your way up through your comfort zones with assorted strategies. It might also help to know the length of each ride. RNRC is only 90 seconds long. I mean, that's nothing.

Over a week, you'll also may find you become more tolerant as you get used to going on rides....or the reverse...the cumulative impact of too much motion can add up. Again, each person is different.

With many coaster and coaster-like rides, the front car is tamer than the back car. Take BTMRR. It climbs slowly up the hill until the back car crests each hill. The front car is 1/3 down the hill before the train speeds up down the drop.

You also get more of the kind of side-to-side wobbles in the back.

Then again....in the very front, you can see what's coming. Some people prefer to knw, but others feel more anxious.

I daresay, the whole point of thrill rides is to play upon our fears a bit. During the ride, we release endorphins to counter that fear. That's the fun, but also why part of this is so individual.

Often what we fear is loss of control. The trick to enjoying the rides, is to find your sense of control. The solution that works for you is the solution you believe will work for you. I hate to say it, but pills work in part, because we believe they will work.

my father is very motion sick, especially when it comes to the "virtual" rides such as Star Tours. he is able to do Soarin, since it's not very jerky. no jerky rides such as dinosaur. I don't think he can do spinning rides either, such as Dumbo and the Magic Carpets.

Has anyone tried those Sea Bands wristbands for motion sickness? They completely stopped my daughters car sickness, wonder if they work for rides as well.

my father is very motion sick, especially when it comes to the "virtual" rides such as Star Tours. he is able to do Soarin, since it's not very jerky. no jerky rides such as dinosaur. I don't think he can do spinning rides either, such as Dumbo and the Magic Carpets.

Oh no, are Dumbo and MCs spinners? I thought they were just a gentle up and down. Do they spin, too?

Has anyone tried those Sea Bands wristbands for motion sickness? They completely stopped my daughters car sickness, wonder if they work for rides as well.

That' certainly a good thing to try, just in case it does help.

Can you take meclizine (Bonine)? I get horrible motion sickness but I take one pill every 12 hours starting the day before we leave on vacation and running until one day after we get back (we just got back) and that helps me be able to get on everything with no issues!

DH can ride anything except the Tea Cups.

Star Tours was bad for us. DH does not have motion sickness. I am more sensitive and that's the only one I can remember bothering me. I avoided MS after reading reviews but Soarin' was fine and RnRC. I didn't love Space Mountain but it was because of the jerkiness, it didn't make me sick. I agree with the person that said to avoid the simulator rides, they seem worse.

I can usually do Star Tours once but not more than that. I'm ok on all of the roller coasters. The only rides I avoid are Soarin' (never tried it) and Mission Space. I rode MS Orange about 4 years ago and had TERRIBLE motion sickness. I didn't puke but had to lay down outside the ride and then head back to the room for the evening. I'd never had motion sickness before that ride but since then I've been pretty sensitive. Couldn't even ride coasters for the first year or two after but that has pretty much fixed itself.

Astro Orbitor, Dumbo, Tea Cups, Magic carpet ride....all spinny rides, a big no go for me!

Everest has the backwards part and that always makes my stomach queasy, but then you go forward again and I am ok.

I will say that Star Tours is the only one that can get me, usually on my first ride. I'll get that hot, kinda sick feeling. Once I step off the ride I feel better instantly and at that point could ride it again 50 times with no problems. It's always that first go!

I was not expecting Dinosaur to be so crazy. I don't even have motion sickness issues and felt a bit off after riding it. It's one of the few rides I don't really care to do again.

I wore them all last trip and felt much better and avoided the end of the day headache. Normally I can ride Star Tours once and I was able to ride it multiple times (not in a row). I tend to feel sick on merry go rounds, the tea cups, and things that have 3-d (bugs life, tsmm, star tours). I also cannot stand rocking chairs or watching people rock in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter