• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides that don't require masks?

I felt the same way. We were not told to wear masks when I rode a couple weeks ago, but I was glad people chose to. Same for the smaller Main Street vehicles and Storybook. Yep, you're outside, but you're squished in so tightly with other body parts touching. I was glad I happened to ride with other willing-to-mask-anyway people.

You were told not to wear masks? That doesn’t seem right

You were told not to wear masks? That doesn’t seem right

Oh no, that wasn't it. Sorry for the confusion.
Someone said they were told to wear masks on Jungle Cruise. I was just sharing my experience from a couple weeks ago. We were NOT told to wear masks. The ride is outdoors, so I wasn't expecting people to wear masks. I was just pointing out that I was glad most people wore masks anyway, even though they weren't required to, since they squish you so close together.

The Cast Members at the front of the attraction will let you know if you need to put a mask on before entering the indoor portion of the attraction or queue.

Splash Mountain rode twice during the day and both times the CM told me I would need a mask before I enter the queue.
Went on Splash Mountain at night and no one said anything.

If you rather have your mask off, keep it off until you are told that you need to wear it. A Cast Member will let you know.
If you want to wear a mask go ahead and wear one when you feel comfortable.

The Cast Members at the front of the attraction will let you know if you need to put a mask on before entering the indoor portion of the attraction or queue.
I found this to be mostly true, except at Rise of the Resistance (for some really odd reason). They didn't have a CM stationed at the entrance to the "tunnels" so it was kind of hit or miss whether guests were wearing masks or not. Everyone had to put one on when we got to the last room (just before the briefing room), but it seems like the start of the tunnels should be considered the beginning of the indoor portion of the queue.

Interestingly, they won't even load the small world boats until everyone in the chute has a mask on. I guess some CMs are more strict than others on the different rides.

I found this to be mostly true, except at Rise of the Resistance (for some really odd reason). They didn't have a CM stationed at the entrance to the "tunnels" so it was kind of hit or miss whether guests were wearing masks or not. Everyone had to put one on when we got to the last room (just before the briefing room), but it seems like the start of the tunnels should be considered the beginning of the indoor portion of the queue.
I have heard the announcement made while inside the tunnel portion. Some will ignore and put it on once they enter the room before the preshow.

Last edited:
I wish we could get a list. My cousin had to wear one on Jungle Cruise and she didn't understand why.
We just got back from there 2 weeks ago and did not have to wear one on Jungle Cruise. Only in the queue because there are parts that are "inside" a bit and that is about all.

Any ride that is completely outside and has no inside parts during the ride is no masks. You would, however, need to wear a mask if you were in the queue and it has indoor/outdoor parts. There is a CM at the beginning of those rides that will tell you "Please keep your masks covering your nose and mouth while on the inside of buildings in the queue." Cars, I think we had to wear the mask on the ride, if I remember because there are inside parts.

Matterhorn is a weird one where guests should be wearing masks since it does go indoors for the lift hill.
Yea this was a weird one. I was going on fully expecting to need a mask, but then saw people getting on maskless and CMs not correcting them. I’ll always respect the rules, it’s a business, they can do what they want, but I’ll always opt for no mask when given the option.

We just got back from there 2 weeks ago and did not have to wear one on Jungle Cruise. Only in the queue because there are parts that are "inside" a bit and that is about all.

Any ride that is completely outside and has no inside parts during the ride is no masks. You would, however, need to wear a mask if you were in the queue and it has indoor/outdoor parts. There is a CM at the beginning of those rides that will tell you "Please keep your masks covering your nose and mouth while on the inside of buildings in the queue." Cars, I think we had to wear the mask on the ride, if I remember because there are inside parts.
Cars: Once at the end of the queue, asked to put on masks -- probably since mostly covered and contained area.

Jungle: Only the covered queue are asked to mask -- once on ride; no mask okay

matterhorn: not told anytime to mask -- though while in the final queue it's quite squishy and we masked with three switchbacks+single rider - that's a lot of people packed for 15+minute

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter