Rides I can do alone with 3 kids (7, 4, 3)

anneshirley11

Earning My Ears
Hi all - I decided to fly in early to do DL/CA with my 3 kids (until my husband comes in the next day to help). I'm nuts but oh well. They are 7.5, almost 5, and 3. We used to have annual passes and have been many times. I've just never been alone with my 3 kids...

I'm trying to strategize for the Friday I'm alone with them already. My 2 older kids are 40"+ and I've already let them know that they can't go on the "big rides" until dad gets here Saturday. They seem fine with this.

What rides work well in this scenario of me being the only adult? Thoughts on the following?

Rides I know we can do at Disneyland & California Adventure
Pirates of the Caribbean
Alice in Wonderland/Mr Toad/Pinocchio/Peter Pan/Storybook Land Boats
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Disneyland Railroad/Monorail
Finding Nemo
Gadget's Go Coaster
Haunted Mansion
It's a Small World
Jungle Cruise
Carousel
Teacups
Winnie the Pooh
Riverboat
Little Mermaid
Luigi ride
Mater's Jamboree
Monsters Inc
Toy Story Midway Mania
(MAN does this trip reallllly highlight how much I'm going to miss Bugs Land with small kids! WAAAAH!)

Rides I'm not sure how to navigate:
Dumbo (is it a bad idea to put my 7.5 and 4.5 year old together alone?)
Astro Orbiter (is it a bad idea to put my 7.5 and 4.5 old together alone?)
Autopia - can my 7.5 year old drive alone? I don't think he can

You will definitely have a great time! I’ve been navigating the parks solo with my two while DH is at conferences since they were little. I agree with your strategy, I tell my oldest that we aren’t doing thrill rides and he has to wait for DH to arrive on his twilight tickets. How independent is your oldest? My DS likes getting to ride alone so I usually have him enter after us on rides, like Toad’s and HM where we can’t ride together. I figure this way he can’t walk off before we get to the exit if he was ahead of and if the ride stopped he wouldn’t be waiting for us. That’s works well. DD and I just wait for him at the end. If your oldest is responsible they might enjoy looking after the sibling and going together. The only wrinkle is that some rides won’t allow it. There were a few rides the CM said DS could not ride with DD on when they wanted to sit together.

It depends on maturity but I think at 4.5 DS was riding Dumbo alone while I took DD in another one. How well do they get along together? Would they fight over controls?

I’d probably caution against trying Autopia. Last trip in August they told us that DS 8 wasn’t tall enough to ride alone but the ride CM before loading didn’t catch it. DS was thrilled but we were behind him and he kept stalling because he couldn’t reach the gas. I had no idea that he wouldn’t be able to because he’s always ridden with DH and I take DD.

If navigating the rides gets stressful think about entertainment. It could be a great day to watch shows and parades. You could also do things like the train ride or a character meal. Do they like charcters or princesses? That’s always been huge for DD so we plan on seeing Tink and princesses. You could also do Toontown. I prepare DS for those parts that annoy him (princesses) and plan on something for him afterwards.

Check if the Tiki room is open. DD loved it and it grew on DS. It’s a great place to feed kids too while watching the show. It might be a good time to check Tom Sawyer if you need a place to run around without Bugsland.

Disney's policy is that kids have to be 7yrs or older to ride alone and 14yrs or older to ride with someone under 7. So your 7.5yr old and 4.5yr old cannot ride the Astro Orbiters or Dumbo as a pair if the CM is following the rules. You would have to go 3 up with your 2 younger kids and the 7.5yr old would have to ride alone. I frequently hear CMs ask young looking kids who are riding alone their age to confirm.

Autopia has a height restriction of 54" to ride alone. So as long as your 7.5yr old is 54" or over they can ride alone (and again you'd have to go with both your younger two in one car).

I also have 3 kids and while all are old enough to ride alone now I did several visits with the three of them solo when they were younger. There is one ride on your list that will not work- Gadget's Go Coaster. There are only 2 seats per row and they will not allow a kid under 7 to sit with the 7yr old even if you are sitting right in front of or behind them. TSMM will work but again you will have to do 3 on one side of the ride car (so your youngest won't have a "gun" or be able to play the ride) and the 7yr old on the other side. Same with Ariel, Buzz, Luigi, Mater and HM.

YMMV with the CMs you encounter in the moment on the rides but if they are following the policy, prepare your 7yr old for riding solo a lot.

Last edited:
For some of the attractions, I think it's going to depend on the CM because technically a child under 7 must be accompanied by someone who is at least 14. It seems like there is some inconsistencies about how the CMs interpret that requirement, but most seem to mean that a child under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14+ in the same row. So even if you're in the same vehicle, be prepared to have the 7.5 year old be alone in a row and the three of you together in a different row.

For example, I was riding Gadget's Go Coaster and the CM would not allow two children to ride together with the one parent behind them. They were lucky because the group behind them had two adults and one child, so the mother offered to ride with the other child. Otherwise, the wouldn't have been able to ride because they didn't have a second adult. I've also had this happen on Alice; two kids (7 and 5) and two adults. They had asked us to place one child in the back row so that that the second adult could sit in the front with with the first child.

I will say personally that CMs usually adhere to the age rule pretty strictly. They will ask the kids. This has happened to me and friends on Dumbo and others (back when we didn’t know about the rule). So your 7 year old will have to ride alone on Dumbo and you ride with the other two. Same for Astro Orbiters although that is such a tight squeeze with three, you might want to skip.

I think this applies to Little Mermaid and HM as well (you will ride with the littles and your 7 year old rides alone). Basically anytime all four of you can’t fit into one seat/space the 7 year old must ride alone. Just ask the CM at the front of each line if it’s doable.

I don’t think all of you can do Gadget’a Go Coaster because it’s two to a car only... but hopefully someone will chime in on that.

Oh, you can add Golden Zephyr to the list of rides you can do with the three kids (as long as your 7 year old rides alone and you ride with the little ones).

Rides I'm not sure how to navigate:
Dumbo (is it a bad idea to put my 7.5 and 4.5 year old together alone?)
Astro Orbiter (is it a bad idea to put my 7.5 and 4.5 old together alone?)
Autopia - can my 7.5 year old drive alone? I don't think he can
The above answers are going to be a no. My granddaughter was 5 and wanting to ride with a 10yo cousin, and they said because she was under 7, she had to be with someone 14 or older. So, no to that, BUT if the younger 2 and you can fit in a Dumbo, the 7yo can ride solo and the 3 of you in the other dumbo. (Same for Mater's.)

Autopia, the 7.5yo would need to be 54". My granddaughter makes the height requirement, but Grandma is saying "Not til you are 10, my rules..."

I don’t think all of you can do Gadget’a Go Coaster because it’s two to a car only... but hopefully someone will chime in on that.
Gadgets should be ok if everyone is tall enough because you are in the "vehicle". I would put the older 2 in the seats in front of you, and you and younger behind them.

Gadgets should be ok if everyone is tall enough because you are in the "vehicle". I would put the older 2 in the seats in front of you, and you and younger behind them.

I can say from personal experience that they will not allow this on Gadget's as I mentioned above.

It seems like there is some inconsistencies about how the CMs interpret that requirement, but most seem to mean that a child under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14+ in the same row.
I have not dealt with this with kids of my own, but this is generally how I have seen it enforced with others. It kind of makes sense if you consider that the "adult" (over 14) is supposed to be making sure that the younger kid behaves (doesn't try to remove restraints, stand up, etc.). You can expect a responsible 7yo to follow the rules themselves, but you can't expect them to control their siblings, and you can't necessarily do that from a row behind or a separate vehicle either. (By the way, I am in no way implying that your children would behave badly, just that I suspect this is the reason for the same-row enforcement).

But it looks like there are quite a few rides that will work, and when you add in shows, meals, play areas and rest breaks, I don't think you'll have trouble filling the day.

Some of the ones you listed won't actually work, like I don't think you can actually do TSMM (unless you can fit three on a side? I'm having trouble envisioning it), and I'm not sure you can fit 3 in the Mr. Toad's car? As mentioned, only your 7 year old can ride alone, so you and the other two will always need your own row/vehicle (sometimes the two older ones can ride together in front of you when you're all in one vehicle, like on Alice or Snow White (we've even been able to put kids in their own row in front of adults on Small World), but the set-up for TSMM makes me think that's not an option on that ride...

You're missing Casey Jr. Circus train, I think, and Roger Rabbit...

I think you'll have plenty to occupy you for one day, especially if you take in some shows or parades! Have fun!

For a lot of the smaller rides, like Mr. Toad, it depends on the size of the people involved. I think it'll be a tight fit, but you can squeeze in one adult and two children if everyone is on the smaller side. While not terribly comfy, we've gotten two adults and two children (both under 5) on a single Peter Pan vehicle and we've also squeezed in one adult and the same two kids in a Mr. Toad car. We've also done two adults and one child on Dumbo (so I'm guessing one adult and two kids would also work).

Another ride that came to mind is the Fun Wheel; that should work for the group.

We have definitely fit on most rides with me and two small children when DS was too young to ride alone. I think your big question is how your oldest will feel about riding alone. My oldest is very happy to be independent. He loves riding HM alone and I can’t get him to ride with us together. My DD has a very different personality and I think she’d hate being alone. There’s still lots of rides like POTC and IASW where you can all sit together if it’s an issue. You can always talk to the CM out front to check before wasting any time in line. Do your little ones like Vampirina? If so don’t forget to look for her. DD is very excited to meet her.

I can say from personal experience that they will not allow this on Gadget's as I mentioned above.
Interesting, because they have allowed us to put the 3yo with the 7yo in the row in front of the 2 adults on Gadgets and Space Mountain. They said the adult had to be directly behind them or beside them. This was in May.

Interesting, because they have allowed us to put the 3yo with the 7yo in the row in front of the 2 adults on Gadgets and Space Mountain. They said the adult had to be directly behind them or beside them. This was in May.

I guess it comes down to the individual CM and their call or perhaps they've changed the rules since it was a few years ago that I had the issue on Gadget's (after waiting over 30 min which is way too long for that ride anyway :rotfl:) but someone else did report the same thing on Gadget's above. I have never attempted Space like this but was very wary of potential scenarios where it could occur after it happened on Gadget's and my girls were so upset since the younger two were all ready for their "first rollercoaster" and then we didn't get to go.

Some of the ones you listed won't actually work, like I don't think you can actually do TSMM (unless you can fit three on a side? I'm having trouble envisioning it), ... but the set-up for TSMM makes me think that's not an option on that ride...

You can fit a small child between the two "guns" on TSMM- I have done it. But obviously they won't be able to "play" the games in the ride.

thanks, you guys! I'm reading through these and have learned (and remembered) a ton more detail about the individual rides! I was especially having questions about how we'd cram into Astro Blasters and Buzz Lightyear. The two Toy Story rides are my kids absolute favorites. Hopefully we can just do them a bunch of times and the older two will temporarily forget about Space Mountain...

It really does depend on the CM. Last year, my very tall 12 year old niece took my 7 year old on Space Mountain, Star Tours and BTMR while i stayed with the little ones. Not a single CM questioned her. I was very surprised (and honestly questioning my own judgment, but they were on MaxPass on a dead day and flew up to the front of the line).

It really does depend on the CM. Last year, my very tall 12 year old niece took my 7 year old on Space Mountain, Star Tours and BTMR while i stayed with the little ones. Not a single CM questioned her. I was very surprised (and honestly questioning my own judgment, but they were on MaxPass on a dead day and flew up to the front of the line).
No reason to question them, both were over 7. I allow my granddaughter (7) to ride Matterhorn single rider. (I watch her thru the line, and she is good at telling the CM at the switch point she needs to go to Fantasyland side as Grandma is watching that side.) She is very familiar with the park, so I do let her do a few rides single rider if she isn't sitting by someone (like Matterhorn) and other rides if I can watch her in the line. But, the 7yo can't take her 3yo brother on Space without an adult. Our experience has been they will allow the 3yo to ride beside the 7yo when the adults are within arms reach. They couldn't ride Dumbo together, they could ride Gadget's with their teen "supervisors" behind them. They couldn't ride Astro Orbitor together, but could ride Space Mountain in front of the "supervisors". (My granddaughter hates "babysitters" as she isn't a baby, so she gets supervisors.)

Well, the good news is that your 7 year old can ride alone. That made all the difference when I found myself with 3 kids and no help as my husband came down with the flu on the first day of our trip a couple of years ago. I managed 2 days of fun with a 7-year-old and two 3-year-olds.

Dumbo you'll have to ride with the 2 little ones and your 7-year-old will ride alone (CMs allowed this for us, but maybe it's different depending on the CM?). You could try the same tactic with astro orbiters, but it's nearly impossible to squeeze 2 small kids and an adult in one and only some CMs will allow it.

Unless your 7-year-old is very tall, Autopia will be out. I can't remember the height to ride alone, but my 8-year-old still isn't tall enough.

I had a lot of luck taking my kids to the shows in both parks. The kids also enjoyed the Grizzly peak recreation area (though it was hard to watch all of them). On most of the dark rides, we were good, though again, the oldest had to sit alone and 3 of us together in the other row. Overall, there was plenty to do. It's not easy...seriously, having 3 kids at Disneyland with no help and 2 under the age of 7 was one of the hardest vacations I've ever done. But, it will work out and I'm sure you'll all have a lot of fun.

You've gotten some good feedback on rides already. Several years ago my sister and I had 5 young children 6 and under (one was an infant). We also just had a day before reinforcements (in the form of Grandpa) arrived to help us out and our husbands joined us on day 3. In addition to the rides we spent a lot of time exploring Toontown, Tarzan's tree and Tom Sawyers Island. We also did some of the shows and meet and greets. It was a really fun day, even though we didn't get a ton of rides in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter