Riderswap issue today at SDMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think things will be changing on this as they get closer to SWL. I don't think it will go away but they will tighten it up. I would expect that you won't be able to get more than one at a time and you won't be able to keep them after the day is over at a minimum (IMO)

I’m very curious if this was a CM’s decision or Disney changing their policy for just SDMT or for all their RS rides. Has anyone else tried since OP posted this?

I just measured my DD and discovered she’s just shy of 38” so I was debating whether to give up my FP for SDMT for Winnie the Pooh or a m&g with Princess Elena so she & I do that while DH & DS ride SDMT & then I can RS later with my DS, or do I keep it in case she will be tall enough by then so we can all ride together.

But after reading this, if Disney is changing this policy, it sounds like I have to choose between being selfish (keep my FP to ride SDMT but then my DD loses out on a ride because she can’t go on it by herself) or make my DD happy (go on a different ride but I don’t get to ever ride SDMT).

This sucks.

I absolutely think its gaming the system in the case of entering fp line with two parents and a small child, if only one of the parents have a fp and both parents ride. The one without fp should have to get in the reg line.
I mean, why dont we just form 30 person groups and rider swap our way to unlimited fast passes.....if you both want to ride the ride with a short wait using fp, you both should use a fp.....thats fair. I dont understand why that scenario should entitle you to additional fps....

You do realize that if that same family has no FPs at all and only enters every ride via the standby line they will be given a RS pass (which is essentially a FP) at each and every ride with a height restriction. So if that family rides, for example, 5 attractions in a day all via standby line they have just recieved (essentially) 5 FPs that can be used at anytime up until the end of that month.

Example:
Books and uses 3 FPs without asking for RS pass on any of them. No gaming the system. Right? They also ride another 5 attractions via standby line and receive RS pass for each of them. It is now 2:00pm. That family now has 5 RS passes in their pocket to be used later that day. Would you be ok with this?

I can't help but wonder if many of those against the current policy are against it simply because it doesn't benefit them. The idea that a RS pass should be given only when everyone has a FP for that attraction would not be a solution to the claim that RS is being used to "game the system." Some members of that family will still be entering more than 3 FP lines no matter how you slice it.

Also, given the fact that it takes twice as much time for the whole family to cycle through an attraction when having to ride in two separate groups, it would put that same family at a big disadvantage when it comes to acquiring 4th, 5th, etc. FPs after using the first 3.

Last edited:
Well yes, just about everything on here is opinion. But it is a fact that there was no FastPass when Rider Swap was initiated. FastPass does change the dynamics of the system and how it is implemented does impact other guests.

If you think no one should have to ride alone, what about folks with uneven numbers in their party. I ride alone often with complete strangers on some rides. I don't want to either. That simply isn't a valid complaint when you look at the bigger picture.

(1) And I addressed that in my comment. That I could certainly see that as a valid way to implement it so the second set of FP+ users are not penalized for missing their window while they wait if the FP+ line is long.

(2) I don't think that should be factored in. As I said above, we are a group of 5 and sometimes 3. I very often am riding alone or stuck with a stranger. It's not fair to me as much as it's not far to a group that wants to use rider swap. Why shouldn't we get a pass so I can wait and ride with someone?

And that is what I think is fair, everyone who is riding FP+ must have a FP+ combined with the RS. I think everyone gets so caught up in the FP+ thing they forget we can go on rides standby, and much of what the wee ones do don't need a FP+. And we can also roll those FP+, we've done a dozen in a few hours, jumping from one ride to the next.
Do you also think it's fair that a 3 year old who also has a ticket costing $100 gets 0 FP+ because the parent now has to wait with an older child?

I’m very curious if this was a CM’s decision or Disney changing their policy for just SDMT or for all their RS rides. Has anyone else tried since OP posted this?

I just measured my DD and discovered she’s just shy of 38” so I was debating whether to give up my FP for SDMT for Winnie the Pooh or a m&g with Princess Elena so she & I do that while DH & DS ride SDMT & then I can RS later with my DS, or do I keep it in case she will be tall enough by then so we can all ride together.

But after reading this, if Disney is changing this policy, it sounds like I have to choose between being selfish (keep my FP to ride SDMT but then my DD loses out on a ride because she can’t go on it by herself) or make my DD happy (go on a different ride but I don’t get to ever ride SDMT).

This sucks.
Personally I would keep it the way you have it. If they question it I would explain it is the only way to work it to use your DD's FP+ and allow you the experience with your other child as well.

I would definitely bet this is just some CM who is in the group that *thinks* RS is a "loophole".

Last edited:

This sucks.

I'll report back when I try it this Sunday at AKL. I'm hoping this is just a CM issue and not a policy change.

Rider swap was always for going through the standby line under the premise a group with a little kid shouldn't have to wait twice which makes perfect sense

It's when FP+ comes into play it gets tricky. For a start, maybe they should do what DLR does (expires that day, one at a time)
That's a great idea. And no reason they couldn't make it electronic, either on the MB or the ticket itself.

I can't help but wonder if many of those against the current policy are against it simply because it doesn't benefit them

I think the converse is true as well -- there aren't many people defending the current policy who don't use it, and most of its support comes form those who do.

We all vote in our own self interest, after all.

I am sure this has been discussed above, but here is my two cents on how Rider Swap should work:

1) The OP tried to use Rider Swap, but didn't really need it. Fast Pass reservations negate the need for it in that scenario. If grandparents had FP, then rider swap would not be needed.

2) A scenario where that would have worked is you have a family of four: 1 child, 1 infant, two parents where a parent is forced to sit out with the infant due to ride restrictions. If everyone has FP, you can get rider swap so the child can ride again with the other parent.

3) Or just use regular standby line and get Riderswap as normal so the second people through don't have to wait in the long line.

Any other scenario feels like just trying to "game" the system to be more efficient with your fast passes.

When I went this past year with my 4yo and 5mo, we never used Rider Swap. It was either too inconvenient to get everyone to CM at the entrance all at the same time (baby was napping, feeding,etc.) or we all had Fast Passes.

We had fast passes for SDMT, and could have gotten rider swap so my son could go on twice, and just opted for my wife to go solo (worked out as my son had ZERO interest in riding it again (too fast .. made his stomach feel "weird").

Haven’t read the whole thread. But the short answer is that if people figured out how to use RS to double their FP’s, at some point Disney will change the policy. The more people who use The FP line, the less fast it will be, eliminating its value. What you may be seeing is the beginning stages of the policy change. I would advise people not to count on being able to use the system in the manner described for anything that is very popular that they MUST see.

Having been on both sides of this (younger kids that can't ride & now are all tall enough), I hardly think it's gaming the system. We go to WDW as a family & I'm grateful that Disney has designed a way that parents can each ride with their older children instead of riding by themselves. Half the fun for me is watching my children experience the park. Yes using FP+ & RS may be a loophole but when you have young children everything takes twice as long. It's not like you're "getting ahead".

Also, as has been mentioned, why should the younger child just have to sit out bc they're too short? Much nicer to be able to book a FP+ for a kiddie ride with a parent. Having been on both sides, I much prefer having our whole family ride the ride once together & not needing RS.

The intent of Rider Swap, so I thought, was so that the kids get to enjoy a ride with both parents, when one of the parents has to sit out with a smaller child. Having FP doesn't change this. I want to ride with the two kids that are tall enough, DW wants to ride with the two kids that are tall enough, and we have one that is too small. So we all get 1 FP (not the tiniest). I go with tall enough kids while DW sits with smallest, and we use our FP's. I get a switch pass, so that DW can now use her FP and ride with the tall enough kids.

That's what I though Rider switch was intended for. Shouldn't matter if we waited FP or regular. If we didn't have FP, the scenario above would have been the same, just through a different line.

You do realize that if that same family has no FPs at all and only enters every ride via the standby line they will be given a RS pass (which is essentially a FP) at each and every ride with a height restriction. So if that family rides, for example, 5 attractions in a day all via standby line they have just recieved (essentially) 5 FPs that can be used at anytime up until the end of that month.

The family who enters the Standby line and waits the time with everyone else did not get a free FP+, they got a real Rider Swap. This was how the system was built and works fairly. This is not gaining any advantage, they waited their time. They earned it.

The fact that the pass lasts so long is totally on Disney and I think that should be changed. This is the FP+ that people sometimes collect and sell or use improperly. It is one reason you have started to see lanyards at some rides.

And funny how no one mentions that the members waiting outside the line can go ride other shorter line kiddie rides while they wait, in essence gaining another ride. We do that all the time.

Do you also think it's fair that a 3 year old who also has a ticket costing $100 gets 0 FP+ because the parent now has to wait with an older child?

I would definitely bet this is just some CM who is in the group that *thinks* RS is a "loophole".

It's completely fair because that child can use all of their FP+ and then begin to roll them, especially at MK. It is the parent who has chosen to use their FP+ on a ride their child can not go on.

I have a DS who is disabled and can't go on some rides even though he is tall enough. I have been told multiple times by CMs that he does not qualify for Rider Swap because he is too tall. Some have had better luck. So when the rest of the family goes on Space Mountain, rather than me just go on after them and he not use his .... I book DS and I to go on the Speedway. When they go on RnR, I book to take DS on TSMM or ST. I am responsible for my child's experience, and I'm willing to pass on a ride so they have a great day. If one is going to place the importance being their child having a wonderful day ... why is it not worth passing on "an amusement ride" so that your child can have a great day.

Everyone seems to continue to leave out that FP+ are a nice perk but not the end all to going on rides. Many standby line for "kiddie" rides are quite doable. We jump in them often. And even once you use your FP+, you can roll them ... and yes we do that all the time quite successfully, sometimes walking straight from ride to ride. There are only a couple that we are likely to not get, but even those we have picked up in small numbers.

Also, is it fair to my DS who is disabled can't go on all the rides or an elderly family member who can't go on any rides .... they all pay the same. And Disney is optional, a choice we make with our money. It's not an argument that a child didn't use their FP+ when that was the parents choice for not riding with them.

The intent of Rider Swap, so I thought, was so that the kids get to enjoy a ride with both parents, when one of the parents has to sit out with a smaller child. Having FP doesn't change this. I want to ride with the two kids that are tall enough, DW wants to ride with the two kids that are tall enough, and we have one that is too small. So we all get 1 FP (not the tiniest). I go with tall enough kids while DW sits with smallest, and we use our FP's. I get a switch pass, so that DW can now use her FP and ride with the tall enough kids.

That's what I though Rider switch was intended for. Shouldn't matter if we waited FP or regular. If we didn't have FP, the scenario above would have been the same, just through a different line.

I don't think that was the point, if that were the case then it should work with a much wider berth of folks. It was so a family didn't stand in line twice using up lots of park time because of a smaller member. Doing it this way mean the whole family waited once, just in two locations. I guess Disney's thought process was those who were waiting might go shopping or do a kiddie ride. The Universal way might make more sense ... an internal R/S room to wait after all go through the line ... but Disney was being more generous.

I think things will be changing on this as they get closer to SWL. I don't think it will go away but they will tighten it up. I would expect that you won't be able to get more than one at a time and you won't be able to keep them after the day is over at a minimum (IMO)

Would not be surprised and hope so before the next lands come open. MB/ticket will make it very easy for them to make changes.

:chat:
This conversation happens about every 6 months usually because of something that happened at the parks such as OP experienced. It continues because the website doesn't match the passes, because there are those who have been there as this process evolved over the decades, because there are those that use this loophole to gather 2-3x the number of FP+ than other guests, and there are those who see the bigger picture and disagree with the loophole.

Have 3 kids, been going since they were infants, have a big kid now who functions as a young child ...... so I totally get the "obstacles" that some of you see but I also know they don't have to be there and are really self-imposed. But I get it, there is a loophole that allows families to take advantage of the system and gather way more FP+ than others - so why not. That is on Disney for not updating the program when they added FP+. Sounds like they might be starting, and Pandora has highlighted it as families split their FP+ usage there to go on both rides with R/S. TSL will be a problem and SWL will be a HUGE problem ... they need to address this sooner than later as they have the other loops lately.

Last edited:
It's completely fair because that child can use all of their FP+ and then begin to roll them, especially at MK. It is the parent who has chosen to use their FP+ on a ride their child can not go on.

Not if there are one adult and two kids.

Really not trying to argue even though it might sound like that, just being devil's advocate :) I think I'm just one of those people who agree with rider swap. I would prefer if we could all ride all the rides together (this year the potential is there we may). Our trip last year was something I had wanted for over 20 years, and thankful Disney had a structure in place where I could ride "big" fun rides without feeling my kids were missing out.

Disney rules =)))

I guess we can agree to disagree on rider swap perhaps :)

I'm not arguing the morality of it one way or the other -- I'm just saying that I predict that policy will change to say you only get a RS from the FP line if you had a FP to begin with. So in order to get the RS, both parents have to be at the RS point, and if that's off the FP queue, WDW is going to require you to have a FP to get there.

So if you're basing your touring strategy around both parents being able to ride and only using one FP in conjunction with RS, I think you may end up disappointed. I don't know for sure, but given some of the anecdotal evidence we're seeing, I think that will be the future.
I hope that is the future of RS.

Not if there are one adult and two kids.

Really not trying to argue even though it might sound like that, just being devil's advocate :) I think I'm just one of those people who agree with rider swap. I would prefer if we could all ride all the rides together (this year the potential is there we may). Our trip last year was something I had wanted for over 20 years, and thankful Disney had a structure in place where I could ride "big" fun rides without feeling my kids were missing out.

Disney rules =)))

I guess we can agree to disagree on rider swap perhaps :)

One adult, two kids and rider swap. I can't make that work ..... what am I missing? Who stays with the small child who can't ride?

But one adult and two kids can use all their FP+ ... together, on rides that they all can go on, which honestly is many.

And I agree with R/S completely, in the form in which it was designed. Now adding FP+ into the picture, I think it needs to be modified. It is being "overused" and manipulated for guests to double and triple their rides and to go on multiple Tier 1 rides when the FP+ rules don't allow that until you have used your original three, and only then if available. Using R/S you are guaranteeing your family can do multiple Tier 1 FP+ every day.

One adult, two kids and rider swap. I can't make that work ..... what am I missing? Who stays with the small child who can't ride?

But one adult and two kids can use all their FP+ ... together, on rides that they all can go on, which honestly is many.

And I agree with R/S completely, in the form in which it was designed. Now adding FP+ into the picture, I think it needs to be modified. It is being "overused" and manipulated for guests to double and triple their rides and to go on multiple Tier 1 rides when the FP+ rules don't allow that until you have used your original three, and only then if available. Using R/S you are guaranteeing your family can do multiple Tier 1 FP+ every day.
Sorry should have explained better - I meant if you have one adult riding but two present. A grandparent or babysitter who isn't riding.

Man ... I have such conflicted feelings about this.

I'm not even going to pretend that this Disney trip I'm about to take is "FOR my 1-year old". But we're taking my in-laws for the first time, but we can't all ride together with a baby so I was going to use the RS in conjunction with the FPs to get through a little quicker on some of the big rides. Like others have chimed in with, I've done a plan on TP and it estimates that something like Splash Mountain is going to take me about a hour and change to do with two groups, FPs and RS included.

I'm not trying to say that I deserve to get through the lines quicker, but I'm just trying to find the most efficient way to do things now that I'm not a married couple with no kids. Back then, we would just jet from one ride to the next, and who cares if there is a line or not?

Call me old fashioned, but I wish that paper FPs were still the way to go. Then you can't load up before you show up.

I hope this is not true, as someone said I don't think people understand how long it takes for some lines, even with FP.

My DD DGD and I am going in Jan. Our stradgy was to get for a few rides two FP but at different times, like FOP. In May before open to public, on a DVC morning, it took me and my DD two hours to get thru FoP. Our problem is a guide dog, although this time we will have guide dog and baby.

We have to go thru the whole line, then both is escorted out of line to a place for the dog, at this point they did not have a kennel yet, so I sat out and DD was escorted back to line, so she missed out at least 10 min than just going thru. She went then came out to me, then we had to wait until another CM came back and got me, anther 15 min wait. Then I was escorted back and had to wait about 15 min to go on and this was when it was a basic walk on for everyone else. Then I got off, we barely had time to ride the river ride because our two hours was up, good thing it was a walk on.

We have waited over 2 hours with FP's at TT, soaring, and space mountain, due to the swap and kennel. I have said a FP for me is useless and a joke, I have never not once going on a ride with a DAS, FP or walk the line in anywhere near what the time says, if it states 60 to walk line it takes us 2 hours, if we have a FP and most people get thru in 15 minutes it takes us 45, if we have a swap and most people doing it takes 60 minutes it will take us 90 or more. So for us rider swap is not a fast easy thing and should be allowed, we save about 15 min but it is still taking us more than double what anyone else is doing. And CM tell us to use or DAS, FP and rider swap in this way.

Sorry should have explained better - I meant if you have one adult riding but two present. A grandparent or babysitter who isn't riding.

Then I would book the grandparent or babysitter to ride something fun with the small child. You take older on 7DMT and they take younger on Pooh or Dumbo. It just isn't on Disney to make sure every person who has a ticket gets to ride every ride they are tall enough for. WE decide to go knowing our parameters, we decide our priorities and we make it all work. While I may not ride everything, I still have a great time.

Again, been there, done that and still doing it. And that is what we do now .... for a couple rides we split up and sometimes later we can use the rolling FP+ to repeat with different adults. I realize not everyone goes often (but many on here are repeaters), in that case, as I say in other issues ... Disney World is an optional, luxury vacation you choose. When you decide to go, make it work and if that means until kids are taller, wait. It also means if you come home from a trip unhappy and feeling negative ... find some other place that makes you happy. You should enjoy your vacation not feel like it's work and makes you cranky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter