Rider Switch clarification at Disneyland

Hi Epicnemesis! I was just getting back on to say that I should have just looked not only at the Disney website (which I did) but also do an internet search for "Disneyland Planning Tips". The forum will not let me post the web link nor the name of the company but do that search and select the article called "40 Tips to Maximize Your Time At Disneyland". Tip #14 refers to Rider Switch. This answered all my questions and did so without the judgemental answer by another poster claiming that our party "doesn't qualify for Rider Switch" because we have tall kids. Tall, but timid and freshly-minted 8 year olds...just turned 8 last week! That kind of verdict needs to be left up to the CM's, IMO. Besides, both the Disney website and the other site I mentioned reiterate the statement that it's not just about the height requirement but specifically mentions if kids *don't want to ride*.
The post I referenced specifically addresses a small group like yours. I hope you find it helpful and that your family has a wonderful trip.
I don't believe anyone was being judgmental in their responses to you. Several long-time and knowledgeable posters shared information for you here, as we do all the time. No need to get defensive about anything. If you get any pushback from CMs regarding using the Rider Switch service then you will have a better understanding why. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you enjoy your visit!

Trips with extended family can be very tricky. Who gets to make the decisions? From who's watching the kids, to who chooses the rides, and where you eat. Everyone has invested time and money into the trip. For some, it's a greater sacrifice. The pressure to make a Disney trip worth it is already high. But mix in people who have different opinions and touring styles, and I think the trip could create a family feud. If the parties already suspect that each other are going to be selfish before it's begun, I'd be really concerned. It might be best to agree to meet up for meals or specific rides rather than plan to stick together the whole time.

To add on, at WDW rider switch has changed from 3 to 2 guests so DL might do the same. I think that change was implemented with Genie+ since people will likely try to take advantage of multiple riders that way. Having said that, all of our kids were tall enough to ride MB-GOTG but my two youngest were scared. My husband and I would just switch and go with my daughter and the rest of our party would find something else to occupy our time. Granted this was in the days of MP and we could pull as many as we were able to for that ride. Since you have 5 adults in your party, why would you not be able to have one party wait while the other rides? When we had 4, we would split MP with 2 at a time and go that way while the other two took the younger kids. It's actually the only time my husband and I have ridden that ride together (our family were Marvel characters one halloween so it was extra special to ride with my Starlord). If you all want to wait/ride together, you could all wait in line, then when you get to the front, have party A ride, let other guests go in front of you, then when party A returns, Party B goes on the ride and the girls go with Party A. Certain rides are easy switches at the ride vehicle.

Just got back from DL, where we used Rider Switch only for Rise of the Resistance. (My daughter, 7, went on it once and full on refused to ride it again. The ride scared her ... ALOT.) Since this is a virtual queue ride, the procedure was a bit different, so thought I'd share. This happened consistently, two days apart:
  • Went up to the Cast Member checking boarding groups – expressed interest in Rider Switch
  • Was sent to a different Cast Member (steps away) who didn't even bat an eye at the request, though DD was standing with us both times we did this
  • Cast Member asked which parent was going first and scanned that parent's boarding group ticket, then scanned the ticket of the parent who was supervising the kiddo
  • The supervising parent's DL app would update, under My Plans, with a Rider Switch barcode and an extended return-time window
It honestly was a very simple process that worked well for my family. I'm not sure if it would work as well with an older kiddo but, at 7, it seemed to be a non-issue.

This answered all my questions and did so without the judgemental answer by another poster claiming that our party "doesn't qualify for Rider Switch" because we have tall kids. Tall, but timid and freshly-minted 8 year olds...just turned 8 last week! That kind of verdict needs to be left up to the CM's, IMO.

I didn’t think it was judgemental at all. I thought they were trying to answer your question and set your expectations while providing lots of mention about how it varies. No need to call them out when they were trying to help 🤷🏻‍♀️

@Skyegirl1999 Is it 7 when you can let them wait for you at the chicken exit???

I did this with my kids, and my son was 6 when he waited for us. He was more timid than his younger sister, so we would all wait in line, and if he decided he wasn't ready yet, he would wait on the other side (not the chicken exit), out of the way, but near a CM. We did this on Space Mtn. and Splash Mtn. He would go on everything else. We also had APs and my kids were very comfortable in the parks. When I would take my nephews we would just skip any attractions they were too nervous to go on. I wouldn't leave them alone like I did with my own kids. I think you have to do what your child is comfortable with. If they are okay standing near a CM, but out of the way, or if they would be nervous because a known adult wasn't nearby...

Something just isn't ringing true. The Disney website does say: "If a Guest doesn’t meet the boarding requirements or doesn’t wish to experience a particular attraction, it’s not a problem for family and friends who do!" It also explains that part of the process is for the whole party (7 of us, incl. 2 kids) to approach the CM at the ride, divide into two Parties and have Party 1 wait standby. It doesn't make sense that any party would be allowed, per Disney's Rider Switch guidelines, to *stay* as one party, ignore the standby line and come back via the exit for a short wait instead of properly waiting standby. That *would* clearly be not allowable. It would seem that as long as the CM abided by the Rider Switch guidelines on the website that guests tickets would be properly scanned and only the proper person/people would be allowed to ride with a short wait while the non-riders do something else. Heck, her kids *just* turned 8 last week and they can't help it their mom and dad are Amazons! :D and that the family couldn't afford to go to a theme park before this. I'm interested to hear more "on-the-ground" experiences.

When we did rider switch with my daughter while my husband waited with the baby I had to bring the baby over to prove we had one before they scanned my husband's phone to get a return time. After that I always had them stay close so I don't know if they are always so strict.

My grandson will be 7 at the time we are at Disneyland... and so if we wait in line,and he is saying he is riding and at the last minute he decides he's doesn't want to ride something... There is no way we would leave him standing alone for anything, and no way we would ever force him to ride.. Can one of us stand with him, and then when the others return, the other person standing with him be able to go on the ride? and can someone that just rode ride again with that person?

We have never done kid swap ever... so this is new to me... Our DD was good to go for any ride, loved it... Our grandson is much more cautious than his mom was at this age... which is A-okay... just wanting to have some knowledge under my belt for the just in case moments...

Thanks so much.

This answered all my questions and did so without the judgemental answer by another poster claiming that our party "doesn't qualify for Rider Switch" because we have tall kids. Tall, but timid and freshly-minted 8 year olds...just turned 8 last week! That kind of verdict needs to be left up to the CM's, IMO. Besides, both the Disney website and the other site I mentioned reiterate the statement that it's not just about the height requirement but specifically mentions if kids *don't want to ride*.

Thought I'd share an experience with Rider Switch and a specific time a CM did tell me my 5 year old DD "did not qualify" for Rider Switch because "there was no Rider Switch at this attraction."

It was for Toy Story Midway Mania and because there's no height requirement to ride, the CM told me there was no Rider Switch available.

I calmly explained that she didn't like the spinning and jerking of the ride and that as I understood, Rider Switch could be used when someone didn't want to experience the attraction, regardless of the reason or the person's height.

The CM eventually allowed us to switch, but it was several minutes before he made up his mind. I just remained as pleasant as possible after pleading my case and stood watching him scan FP's without further comment until he made his ruling.

I think the point other posters were trying to communicate is that you MAY get push back from CM's on certain attractions. Both my kids are very tall which does cause an issue at times. When I see a CM looking my DD up and down as I request a Rider Switch, I make sure to inform them that it's an issue of not wanting to ride, as opposed to being too short to ride. Usually they nod and it's done. But not always.

Knowing this ahead of time can help you plead your case. The information from the super savvy Rider Switch folks here was the reason I knew how to approach the situation when I was told no. It can and does happen. :)

Just got back from DL, where we used Rider Switch only for Rise of the Resistance. (My daughter, 7, went on it once and full on refused to ride it again. The ride scared her ... ALOT.) Since this is a virtual queue ride, the procedure was a bit different, so thought I'd share. This happened consistently, two days apart:
  • Went up to the Cast Member checking boarding groups – expressed interest in Rider Switch
  • Was sent to a different Cast Member (steps away) who didn't even bat an eye at the request, though DD was standing with us both times we did this
  • Cast Member asked which parent was going first and scanned that parent's boarding group ticket, then scanned the ticket of the parent who was supervising the kiddo
  • The supervising parent's DL app would update, under My Plans, with a Rider Switch barcode and an extended return-time window
It honestly was a very simple process that worked well for my family. I'm not sure if it would work as well with an older kiddo but, at 7, it seemed to be a non-issue.
Thought I'd share an experience with Rider Switch and a specific time a CM did tell me my 5 year old DD "did not qualify" for Rider Switch because "there was no Rider Switch at this attraction."

It was for Toy Story Midway Mania and because there's no height requirement to ride, the CM told me there was no Rider Switch available.

I calmly explained that she didn't like the spinning and jerking of the ride and that as I understood, Rider Switch could be used when someone didn't want to experience the attraction, regardless of the reason or the person's height.

The CM eventually allowed us to switch, but it was several minutes before he made up his mind. I just remained as pleasant as possible after pleading my case and stood watching him scan FP's without further comment until he made his ruling.

I think the point other posters were trying to communicate is that you MAY get push back from CM's on certain attractions. Both my kids are very tall which does cause an issue at times. When I see a CM looking my DD up and down as I request a Rider Switch, I make sure to inform them that it's an issue of not wanting to ride, as opposed to being too short to ride. Usually they nod and it's done. But not always.

Knowing this ahead of time can help you plead your case. The information from the super savvy Rider Switch folks here was the reason I knew how to approach the situation when I was told no. It can and does happen. :)

Thank you, Poptart90, gpjacobs and others. I apologize if I came across as defensive or crankypants in any way...I think it was a combo of being told by someone who's not a CM (wait, are there CM's posting on here?) and a whiff of something that sounded like me or my party were trying to cheat the system. That is absolutely not the case and I was just going by Disney's site that talked about return riders being able to join in the 2nd party...if they allow it that would be cool and if not, I'm satisfied just riding things once. Thanks for the tip about the possibility of 2 vs. 3 in Party 2. I feel more prepared with all the info to know we could get very different results from different CM's at the various attractions and just to remain patient and pleasant. Our group has already agreed to split up and morph back together as needed...we did that on a 9 day trip to WDW (slightly different peeps) and it worked great...everyone was happy. I'll alert my sis to be aware that Rider Switch may vary a lot in practice and yeah, with five adults we should be able to work something out. It's just I'm the only "planner" in the group and the others haven't fully communicated yet their expectations about who likes/dislikes what (ie. spinny rides, water rides, coasters, etc). All the info about kids is SUPER helpful as I've never been with kids...actually none of us have except my mom with us and that was back in the 80's!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter