Rider Swap help

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
Any general/specific Rider Swap tips? I started asking a month or two ago, and need a refresher/more details now that we're under 3 weeks away. 2 parents & 5 mo. old, never tried RS. I've read that there's no time limit so if I'm at FoP, mom + baby can ride NRJ or when I'm on Space, they can be on PM. Maybe something like BTM, Pirates is too far, and we'd have to plan on a diaper change or pumping break.

We're pretty conforming with regular Rope Droppers in that for MK, we start at 7D, Pan, Space, Jungle, BTM. But I wonder if we alter that given two of the three are RS (i.e. something like 7D, Pan, HM or Pan, HM, Pooh, Space or Pan, HM, BTM, Pirates) or do you still go about your normal RD order given we still want to go on those attractions and the wait times will be higher later in the day.

The following for the other parks is what we've typically done without the baby if we were RD, with whatever the wait times dictates if it's 2nd park:
HS: Rise, MF, SDD, TSM, RnR/ToT
AK: FoP, NRJ, Safari, Kali, EE
EP: Rat, FEA, TT, Soarin'

Does it make sense to alter with RS? We PH every day over 7 days. Haven't decided but currently thinking most/not all MK/EP or EP/MK we'll buy the multi G+, but not have it at AK/HS. That's because AK, we can typically get to everything with a reasonable wait and HS is going to have less emphasis with only about 7 attractions we do, wife doesn't love rides like ToT, and we're more focused on EP/MK days with Tron and Guardians (wife hasn't been on either).

I'm also not sure where to fit in character greets, because we usually skip them, and it will be more of an emphasis for baby's 1st visit, paying for MM. I get that those lines get long too, just like the headliners, but I don't know where they fit in. Maybe they're quicker than doing rides and you want them early or they're not open until like 9am. We are planning on at least once for the 2 Disney Visa spots.

Baby stuff- we're going to try to borrow a friend's stroller she bought at a yard sale rather than rent or bring ours. We will have a fan, big hat, water baby sunscreen, we're looking at rain/wind covers for chest baby carrier. Think we're packing diapers/wipes, and Tide for washing at hotel. Made note of the baby center locations. We will take more QS breaks out of sun, potentially leave earlier on occasion. More shows and slow rides without RS. Generally move a lot slower.

We usually bring people with us so that we don't have to deal with RS so I have no experience there. We've only used it on the rare occasions that our non-riding adult wasn't available.

But honestly, I do character meals to avoid the M&G lines unless it's someone I absolutely want to meet.

If mom's still nursing, she needs to remember to stay hydrated and well fed, which in the heat can be haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

I will say that I wouldn't risk RS with ROTR standby. I would just buy the ILL for both of you, and if you're close to the window ending, get the rider swap for whomever is waiting.

We usually bring people with us so that we don't have to deal with RS so I have no experience there. We've only used it on the rare occasions that our non-riding adult wasn't available.

But honestly, I do character meals to avoid the M&G lines unless it's someone I absolutely want to meet.

If mom's still nursing, she needs to remember to stay hydrated and well fed, which in the heat can be haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

I will say that I wouldn't risk RS with ROTR standby. I would just buy the ILL for both of you, and if you're close to the window ending, get the rider swap for whomever is waiting.
Thanks, nursing will be a challenge. Wish she wasn't but lost that debate.

I honestly didn't even consider a character meal. Obviously the baby is too young to remember anything let alone the meal - it would be more about the photos. But we rarely go to these now, because we've been more of the frame of mind that sit down meals take up time away from attractions, and we didn't have a kid.

HS has all of the Star Wars related greets, plus Olaf. MK - seemed like Mickey lines got heavier than the princesses in Fantasyland but idk. Every time we've waited for Pooh/Tigger, they'd leave right as we got to the front of line. Maybe more recent, but it seems like the Dumbo area has the greets back up and running. EP - never really kept tabs on the various countries' schedules, but there was the area near Innovations too. AK - can't really think of a lot immediately outside of Dug, King Louie areas.

I think we will generally be at HS as 2nd park after AK, so the RD order for us won't really matter a whole lot. And we typically didn't even do Rise at the very end of the night, it was closer to an hr. before and we had good luck with under 30 min waits in Sept. But idk how RS fits in.

At SDD in HS and SDMT I wouldn’t wait to use the Rider switch. MMRR was down all day and after first group rode SDD we rushed because our then 2 years old had been in a stroller for hours. The line for LL was out the door and it took 45 mins and then another 20 or so to ride exit stroller buy water etc.

When we went back to SDD the scan turned blue! the CM made a snark remark that it had been over an hour since group 1 rode. I kindly pointed out that MMRR had been down all morning so we rushed to use the anytime pass; the RS expiration is end of day (we can’t get another one until we use this on btw). She overrode reluctantly and we got through.

In another instance a MMRR LL turned blue for two in our group who had not used ROTR RS (we purchased the LL separately) and the CM had to override MmRR but then accidentally deleted them and got interrupted in the processes of reinstating? A senior member came and overrode the LL and said for some people riding the Star Tours ride it did the same thing? We were so confused. She had initially asked for proof of booking MMRR for the entire party (we never removed anyone because it has no height requirements).

Lesson: screen shot RS (show entitlement detail and then take a picture) and LLs (make sure it shows who it’s valid for) and send them to your spouse’s phone at HS!

Disney throws some curveballs even to the regulars (encountered this early last year): if doing standby (not applicable to purchased Genie+/LL): rides like FOP, SDD and SDMT sometimes make the entire party stand together in the outdoor queue if it extends into roped off areas outside the ride queue (didn’t take long for FoP and it was shaded but SDMT 20 mins outside with screaming DD in a stroller was very painful, so be prepared and get some iced drinks). They issue the rider switch when you get close to the ride sign. This was surprising to us (we got called entitled on this board when I vented) as it defeats the RS purpose (reduces the time the second parent has not being in the queue) and allowing the second parent to go change the diaper, get something to eat etc. On a positive note: In the past the CM would add extra time to the posted wait time and then issue RS. With the new system we actually saved 30 mins because the RS is immediately valid when they issue and for end of day!

So we just returned from our first experience with an infant yesterday, and it was even more different than i anticipated. Between 7-9 every night, especially coming from central time zone to eastern, our baby was so tired that we never got to see HEA, EP Forever, Fantasmic at all- 7 nights and zero fireworks! By 3rd EP day, I still hadn’t rode TT, Nemo, etc when there are like 8 rides at EP, for instance.

I was told here that I should buy G+ for use with RS, so first person didn’t wait forever. When we had G+ for both of us and asked for RS (to get more time), cm said no, just use your LLs. We did RS for tron, 7D, gotg, FoP, Kali, maybe a couple of others… but not very often. And those instances were ok, they allowed us to return anytime. There were even several times where I was the very first person in line (I.e. FoP) and I’d yell out as I was rushing through to give a RS to my wife, who was keen enough to be out of line and near the cms as I was going through. That was sort of unexpected to be 1st and get RS without waiting on the side to get it.

So we just returned from our first experience with an infant yesterday, and it was even more different than i anticipated. Between 7-9 every night, especially coming from central time zone to eastern, our baby was so tired that we never got to see HEA, EP Forever, Fantasmic at all- 7 nights and zero fireworks! By 3rd EP day, I still hadn’t rode TT, Nemo, etc when there are like 8 rides at EP, for instance.

I was told here that I should buy G+ for use with RS, so first person didn’t wait forever. When we had G+ for both of us and asked for RS (to get more time), cm said no, just use your LLs. We did RS for tron, 7D, gotg, FoP, Kali, maybe a couple of others… but not very often. And those instances were ok, they allowed us to return anytime. There were even several times where I was the very first person in line (I.e. FoP) and I’d yell out as I was rushing through to give a RS to my wife, who was keen enough to be out of line and near the cms as I was going through. That was sort of unexpected to be 1st and get RS without waiting on the side to get it.
Yes you don’t need a RS with Genie+ if it’s just 2 adults both will have LL. The RS allows you use of LL if first person went standby.

Family of 4: standby: Also if there is a child that rides with the first adult they can go again with the second adult so your wife (monitoring a baby) and old enough child would get a RS (make sure the child riding twice doesn’t scan twice on one turnstile) so your wife wouldn’t have to wait again and ride alone.

If using Genie+ and you have an old enough child, they will replace the LL for the waiting adult (to make it an anytime RS) and add a RS for the old enough child who gets to ride twice.

Family of 5:

Both kids can ride with dad first but only one gets to ride with mom again, so whose your favorite?

Yes you don’t need a RS with Genie+ if it’s just 2 adults both will have LL. The RS allows you use of LL if first person went standby.

Family of 4: standby: Also if there is a child that rides with the first adult they can go again with the second adult so your wife (monitoring a baby) and old enough child would get a RS (make sure the child riding twice doesn’t scan twice on one turnstile) so your wife wouldn’t have to wait again and ride alone.

If using Genie+ and you have an old enough child, they will replace the LL for the waiting adult (to make it an anytime RS) and add a RS for the old enough child who gets to ride twice.

Family of 5:

Both kids can ride with dad first but only one gets to ride with mom again, so whose your favorite?
We will just be a family of 3 with the one kid, at least that’s the plan:). We may take in-laws occasionally though so if I go standby first and rs, wife can have a LL with 1 guest. Both in laws are chicken with all coasters though, except they love gotg for the music. So it may be me going again. Wife was ill waiting for me on tron RS this wknd and I used hers to take her spot rather than waste it. Cm did hesitate when the screen after scanning mb stated “Samantha” but I power walked on through before he could question it. Did that a few times. Next time her name is “Sam.”

We only used G+ once in 8 days. Combo of low crowds, use of shows and low wait attractions on busier wknds, and RD, evening. We had enough days at 8 to get away with not buying G or ILL and I don’t enjoy spending the extra $50 for 2 for Genie outside of Mk, and Hs was basically skipped since wife was ill and we didn’t feel like RS each of the rides. I rode tron and Gotg sometimes 2x per day and then once for the other park at night.

Last edited:
We will just be a family of 3 with the one kid, at least that’s the plan:). We may take in-laws occasionally though so if I go standby first and rs, wife can have a LL with 1 guest. Both in laws are chicken with all coasters though, except they love gotg for the music. So it may be me going again. Wife was ill waiting for me on tron RS this wknd and I used hers to take her spot rather than waste it. Cm did hesitate when the screen after scanning mb stated “Samantha” but I power walked on through before he could question it. Did that a few times. Next time her name is “Sam.”

We only used G+ once in 8 days. Combo of low crowds, use of shows and low wait attractions on busier wknds, and RD, evening. We had enough days at 8 to get away with not buying G or ILL and I don’t enjoy spending the extra $50 for 2 for Genie outside of Mk, and Hs was basically skipped since wife was ill and we didn’t feel like RS each of the rides. I rode tron and Gotg sometimes 2x per day and then once for the other park at night.
GOTG is the most intense coaster I’ve been on at WDW. Don’t go after eating something if prone to motion sickness (took me 30 mins to stop feeling dizzy and nauseous). Empty stomach I could have ridden it back to back. I’m ok on Space Mtn and RnRc. Forbidden journey (at Universal) causes nausea as well.

GOTG is the most intense coaster I’ve been on at WDW. Don’t go after eating something if prone to motion sickness (took me 30 mins to stop feeling dizzy and nauseous). Empty stomach I could have ridden it back to back. I’m ok on Space Mtn and RnRc. Forbidden journey (at Universal) causes nausea as well.
I can ride any coaster and the WDW ones are obviously geared towards families/tame. I could take a nap on ToT, and if it were longer, RnR. But I don’t do well with spinning, especially as I get older. EE if I do 2-3x in a row single rider, the backwards part makes me a little dizzy, and so does GotG a little, at times. I don’t ever feel like I’m going to the pt of being sick though. I think I got to ride it 8x this past week but only 2 different songs. I did pack some Dramamine for my wife, fearing she get sick on it. It was her first time on it because she was pregnant with our daughter on our prior trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter