Rider swap changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has nothing to do with entitlement. Disney obviously wants parents of little ones to be able to have just as much fun as adults without young kids. I have never once in my experience seen Disney CMs do anything but go completely above and beyond, especially as a mom of a toddler. It's like stepping out of reality for a while when you get the "special" Disney treatment while in the parks. I know Disney goes above and beyond for all guests, but as a mom with a young child, there is no where else I'd rather be right now than Disneyland and it's entirely due to that special treatment, which you so oddly keep referring to as entitlement. I truly don't understand what your issue with this and why you insist on acting so high and mighty about it.
No they don't. They treat thousands of guests every day exactly as if reality exists, and why shouldn't they? Walking in expecting them to go above and beyond so you can step out of reality and give special treatment is entitlement.

No they don't. They treat thousands of guests every day exactly as if reality exists, and why shouldn't they? Walking in expecting them to go above and beyond so you can step out of reality and give special treatment is entitlement.

Of course they do. It's Disney. It's why we all love it so much. Disney goes above and beyond, and it's magic.

It has nothing to do with entitlement. Disney obviously wants parents of little ones to be able to have just as much fun as adults without young kids. I have never once in my experience seen Disney CMs do anything but go completely above and beyond, especially as a mom of a toddler. It's like stepping out of reality for a while when you get the "special" Disney treatment while in the parks. I know Disney goes above and beyond for all guests, but as a mom with a young child, there is no where else I'd rather be right now than Disneyland and it's entirely due to that special treatment, which you so oddly keep referring to as entitlement. I truly don't understand what your issue with this and why you insist on acting so high and mighty about it.
You're obviously very worked up about this. I disagree with you and others. In the spirit of entitlement, I am entitled to do so ;)

We had a negative experience with the digital rider switch passes. It took a long time to get them loaded to our cards as the cast members were still not sure how to do it and were often busy with other guests but that will hopefully improve with time. The bigger issue was how far out the passes were set for. They were like regular fastpasses and often the switch was set for an hour or more after the first ride. Because we didn't want to wait around or backtrack later my husband ended up missing out on his chance to ride on multiple occasions. It was a huge hassle and I'm definitely missing the simplicity and flexibility of the paper passes.

We had a negative experience with the digital rider switch passes. It took a long time to get them loaded to our cards as the cast members were still not sure how to do it and were often busy with other guests but that will hopefully improve with time. The bigger issue was how far out the passes were set for. They were like regular fastpasses and often the switch was set for an hour or more after the first ride. Because we didn't want to wait around or backtrack later my husband ended up missing out on his chance to ride on multiple occasions. It was a huge hassle and I'm definitely missing the simplicity and flexibility of the paper passes.

Hmmmmm... that sounds frustrating. Again, the whole point is to make things easier, not harder, right? Hopefully they get this sorted out quick.

hahaha so this is a completely different issue - the switch has a return time, and it isn't immediate? of course.

ETA: I'm not super concerned about this, however, because I feel like there's going to be a lot of inconsistency and it would just take talking to the right CM to get it figured out and Disney has never let me down. After all, at $100/day I'm entitled to complain to guest services ;)

Oh, I had no idea that swap had a return time now. Just like a fastpass basically! What if it only took the first party 20 min to ride, but your swap is out an hour? Did it have an expiration like fastpass too?

Disney published description of rider switch has always been that you wait by the ride and the switch immediately. You want them to tell you that they've closed the loophole that you've been abusing in contradiction to their published instructions? Just follow the rules as they laid them out if that's what's causing your issue using the system.
That is not true. The passes did NOT say you had to use them immediately. You could use them any time. We were NOT abusing the system. CM told me on MULTIPLE occasions that we could go ride other rides and come back later. In any case I went to the Chamber of Commerce at DCA and a CM double checked with a lead and they said it was just a glitch. They said the two were separate and we could get a new FP while holding the swap and even get another swap for a different ride.

That is not true. The passes did NOT say you had to use them immediately. You could use them any time. We were NOT abusing the system. CM told me on MULTIPLE occasions that we could go ride other rides and come back later. In any case I went to the Chamber of Commerce at DCA and a CM double checked with a lead and they said it was just a glitch. They said the two were separate and we could get a new FP while holding the swap and even get another swap for a different ride.

This is such great news! Thank you for following up and reporting back to us!

Thank you so much for finding this out! :love1:

Did you check your phone for the passes earlier than an hour? They mumbled something about it taking up to an hour at RSR but my husband took the kids on that one within ten minutes of us getting off. It showed up on my phone within a few minutes for both rides we swapped at.

Thank you for taking the time to figure it out!!

I hope more people report back on how it works. I still feel confused. Yes we collected multiple switch passes and often the parent who got to ride would go back to the hotel with the baby at 7 to put the baby to bed and the other parent would stay up later with older kid and use up the switch passes. I really don't see how people think this is "abusing" the system. But if that's not how it works anymore it will just change how we do things and make it a bit harder for both parents to ride the big rides as with a baby your day is shorter usually. Change is hard no matter what it is and often it's not a change for the better which is why people get upset.

Thank you so much for relaying the answer you received directly from the CM! Really appreciate the follow up!:flower:

Please keep posting if you are in the parks and using the digital Rider Switch! We are heading there next week and anxiously reading this thread. I will post our experiences as well next week...

I still can't believe Disney has zero official news on this change. It's a big adjustment for cms and customers alike, so I wish Disneyland wouldn't be so crickets on this issue. I feel bad for people who had all their touring plans and such for this week and now they are up in the air without knowing what/how this new change really works.

Rider Swap is not dependent on age or height of a child to be used. It is for ANYONE who cannot or does not want to ride. Disneyland's official policy right here:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

We used it for GoTG and Screamin with two kids who are clearly old enough and tall enough with no issues. They simply weren't comfortable riding those rides. My advice is to keep a link or print out of the policy and politely remind a CM of the official policy if you are turned away for height or age.

Thank you so much for this link!! We were told by a CM at Toy Story Midway Mania that they did not offer a Rider Switch and that my 4 month old (at the time) could just sit on my lap...o_Ohuh? And how exactly would I "ride" the ride...car spinning in the dark, wearing 3D glasses, pulling furiously at the cannon string, holding a 4 month old...??? For real? The CM had no answer. Just looked at me, shrugged, and said that they didn't offer a Rider Switch because the ride had "no official height limit". Would've loved to have had this info at the time! Really appreciate it and will be printing my own copy.:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for this link!! We were told by a CM at Toy Story Midway Mania that they did not offer a Rider Switch and that my 4 month old (at the time) could just sit on my lap...o_Ohuh? And how exactly would I "ride" the ride...car spinning in the dark, wearing 3D glasses, pulling furiously at the cannon string, holding a 4 month old...??? For real? The CM had no answer. Just looked at me, shrugged, and said that they didn't offer a Rider Switch because the ride had "no official height limit". Would've loved to have had this info at the time! Really appreciate it and will be printing my own copy.:thumbsup2
TSMM doesn't offer rider switch. It's only on rides that have a height requirement. If you click on the list of rides that offer it, TSMM isn't on the list. Now that it has FP, you could always do your own switch via FP.

TSMM doesn't offer rider switch. It's only on rides that have a height requirement. If you click on the list of rides that offer it, TSMM isn't on the list. Now that it has FP, you could always do your own switch via FP.

I just saw that when I clicked the link...only "specific" rides offer Rider Switch. Well, my bad. I was wrong. I guess I thought it sounded ridiculous that someone could hold a tiny infant safety in their lap through that ride...it spins and jerks quite a bit. Plus do that while actually playing the game, which is the whole point of the ride! But regardless, you are correct and we can simply do FP now. Thanks for the catch in policy!:thumbsup2

Yeah. Roger Rabbit and Ladybug Boogie don't offer it either, but they require a child to sit on their own. So a 4 month old can't ride those either, but no swap. It's not perfect, but it's better than a lot of parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter