Ride questions. Help me out please! Could I do it?

spc67carr

Earning My Ears
Ok so as a child I had a horrible experience on a ride. I was about 7 and I really wanted to ride "Die Spinne" (The spider). Pretty much that whole thing would go around real fast and were you sit in would spin the other way. So I got my mom to do it with me. BAD IDEA. I was freaking out and said I wanted to leave, then my mom would freak out, I felt even worse and we both started screaming until they stopped the ride and let us off (embarrassing I know). Thanks mom, could have tried to calm me down but no lol. So that was that. Ever since that tragic day I avoided parks and rides like the plague. Not that I didn't want to I just get scared. My friends would go to the Oktoberfest and other fairs every year. You guessed it I was the LAME friend that hardly ever went and if, I planted myself in the Bierzelt (tent). Again thanks mom!

Then last year 27 years later my daughter got me to go on the American Plunge at Silver Dollar City, Branson, MO. It's like Splash Mountain. And I hated it. The drop was a big no, no. I mean it wasn't that I was sick for the rest of the day but I didn't want to do it again. Then at our short Disney trip she made me ride Space Mountain and I liked it :cool2:. Then we went on Thunder Mountain :banana: and it was fun. We also did Dinosaur which I thought was not bad at all. Star Tours and Soarin' didn't bother me at all. So I figured big drops are a no no but other than that I do ok, I guess. Now to my questions.

This year I want to overcome my fear even more. I won't do things like Hulk at Universal or Kraken at Seaworld or TOT. But what do you think, I wanted to do RNR, EE (is that short for expedition everest:confused:) Seven Dwarfs, SM, Mission Space (green). I also wanted to do the Mummy ride at US. I am sick of being the boring mom that always waits on everyone. Also I think my son is following my footsteps. He also don't wanna do a lot of rides and I know it's because of me always saying I can't. If I ask my daughter how those rides are she's gonna say they are all ok and that I will be able to do them, but she is a coaster freak so her "tame rides" and mine are not even in the same galaxy! Therefore I thought I ask the nice people on DISBOARDS, that have no gain or laugh, for me to turn green and being miserable all day :sick:. Ya I have that kind of family that would do this :rotfl2:while I would try to get rid of the $60 character meal I ate. I know you all don't know me but from your personal experience and based on comparison to the rides I was able to do you think I'd do ok on the ones I want to do?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks again mom for screwing me up for life! It's ironic that the ride's name was the spider cause that's another phobia my mom gifted me with.

Last edited:
If you liked Space Mountain, I'd guess Rockin roller coaster is fine for you - its big gimmick is a super-fast launch/takeoff but smooth and a couple corkscrews after that. Expedition Everest has some pretty big downhills, so that's questionable based on what you've said. Seven dwarfs will be no trouble at all. The others I haven't ridden

Good luck being "more fun"! And congrats for trying to conquer your fears and help your son experience some thrills.

Disclaimer: I have never ridden RNRC. And I never will. Why? Because I rode the Hulk at a IOA soft opening in freaking 1999 and I've been scared of coasters with inversions ever since. I've heard the rides are very similar, so if you're not willing to do the Hulk, you probably shouldn't do RNRC either.

I like Expedition Everest. There's a fast downhill portion, but not a drop. Seven Dwarfs is a kiddie coaster that may be fun, but not thrilling, for an adult.

I hate Space Mountain and won't ever do that again, not because it's scary but because it's jerky. Also keep in mind that it has single seating, so you can't sit next to a hesitant child...everyone sits in a row.

I don't know what TM is?

ETA: If your "SM" is Splash Mountain, I'd try it at least once. My husband hates drops but does Splash at least once because there's so much more to the ride than just the drop.

Disclaimer: I have never ridden RNRC. And I never will. Why? Because I rode the Hulk at a IOA soft opening in freaking 1999 and I've been scared of coasters with inversions ever since. I've heard the rides are very similar, so if you're not willing to do the Hulk, you probably shouldn't do RNRC either.

I like Expedition Everest. There's a fast downhill portion, but not a drop. Seven Dwarfs is a kiddie coaster that may be fun, but not thrilling, for an adult.

I hate Space Mountain and won't ever do that again, not because it's scary but because it's jerky. Also keep in mind that it has single seating, so you can't sit next to a hesitant child...everyone sits in a row.

I don't know what TM is?

ETA: If your "SM" is Splash Mountain, I'd try it at least once. My husband hates drops but does Splash at least once because there's so much more to the ride than just the drop.

I was referring to Big Thunder Mountain as TM (guess that was wrong). I don't know if I would let my son ride Space Mountain until he is comfortable with riding rides, because its single seating. He is 7 so not that little anymore but if he doesn't want to I won't force him. Not that I would force him on other rides lol but I believe if he sees me go he is most likely going as well.

Based on what you said, I will say don't go in RNRC or EE. You should look up the tracks on Google they both have drops. You should be fine 7DMT and I think you should try splash the ride is so much more than just the drop and it is good to conquer the fear. I thought you said you already did thunder and you liked it? But if you haven't go and that too. Mission space green should be ok too. Have you been on test track? If not I say go for it too. As far as revenge of the mummy, I think you should look at some videos with the lights on and look at the track and make your decision based on that.

Last edited:
I did Thunder Mountain. I confused myself there for a second. I can't write in initials obviously without messing up:crazy: Sorry about that, everyone! I edited it!

My mom would shake the ferris wheel car when I was a kid and she rode with me, 30+ years later I still hate ferris wheels and heights.

My daughter (age 15) is afraid of anything remotely scary. My boys will ride anything.

RNR - You might want to avoid, it goes fast and inverts. (DD refuses to ride this)

EE (is that short for expedition everest:confused:) - Yes it is. I think this is a great ride, but it does have some drops. (DD refuses to ride this)

Seven Dwarfs - Great family coaster, you shouldn't have a problem with it. (DD loves this one)

SM - Ugh, I liked this one in my younger days but it far too rough for me now. There are some drops, but I think the scariest part is that you are in the dark. (DD refuses to ride this)

Mission Space (green) - I didn't have a problem with this one and all my kids rode it just it fine.

Mummy at US - Great theming on this ride! My only memories are the ride being rough and the great theming lol. (DD refuses to ride this)

Splash Mountain - I really, really dislike the drop on that ride. Great theming though! (DD doesn't even like to look at Splash Mountain lol)

Big Thunder - Our family favorite!

Based on what you said, I will say don't go in RNRC or EE. You should look up the tracks on Google they both have drops. You should be fine 7DMT and I think you should try splash the ride is so much more than just the drop and it is good to conquer the fear. I thought you said you already did thunder and you liked it? But if you haven't go and that too. Mission space green should be ok too. Have you been on test track? If not I say go for it too. As far as revenge of the mummy, I think you should look at some videos with the lights on and look at the track and make your decision based on that.

I add Test Track to my list. Would that one be ok for my son?

I know you were kinda joking, but first off I say "forgive your mother". You talked her on to that spider ride and even mom's have trouble comforting their kid when they're freaking out too. I know that from experience. :thumbsup2

Next, just do it. Ride whatever you want to ride. If you get scared close your eyes. It cuts down on the rides stimulation and reduces the panic. Fear is fear. It's a sensation that screams that it will kill you, but it can't. The rides themselves are safe. No matter how bad it feels you can't die from sweaty palms, stomach butterflies, crawling skin, or a clenched stomach. The sense of accomplishment when you face fear is amazing - and it sets an awesome example for your kids.

So, my suggestion is to just do it!

RNR - Should be OK a bit more than space mountain
EE - Try it. Not so bad but a bit more than the others...
Seven Dwarfs - Easy
SM, Mission Space (green) - Easy

If you were fine on Star Tours, you should be fine on Mission Space green, it is a very similar feel. 7dmt and TT should be fine too. They are both mild. RNRC and EE may be too much for you. But, you liked Space Mountain so maybe the dark helps? If so, I would try RNRC before EE.

I don't feel that RnR and hulk are much alike. Hmm.

The Mummy is great. Ride it. Not intense as a coaster but fabulously themed to the movie. If you can handle the movie it'll be fine.

In order of intensity - tame to wild

1. Goofini
2. Mine train
3. Big Thunder Mountain
4. Test Track
5. Splash Mountain
6. Space Mountain
7. Primeval Whirl
8. Expedition Everest
9. Tower of Terror (the actual drop on this ride is milder than EE but the suspense is high)
10. Rock N Roller coaster

I didn't include Mission Space because the green side doesn't actually move. It is a simulation similar to Star Tours but a little more intense and a lot more enclosed.

All in my opinion. But I have a 7 yr old DS who has tried all of the above except RNR. He LOVES all except he has decided not to ride EE or ToT again until "I'm 9" lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter