Ride Intensity/ Stomach drop factors?

fantomhamst3r

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I'm making my solo trip out to Disney at the end of September that got postponed in March, and am a ride wimp. I can do moderate thrill rides (Mummy, Space Mountain, Hagrids), but very much dislike the stomach drop/ not being able to breath feeling of specifically drops. I've heard the launch at RnR gave that same feeling, which is dissapointing, because I was excited to try that, and would like to expand my horizons.

My question is, how does the intense part of rides like RnR, Mission: Space, and Everest compare to the rides I mentioned? Is the launch on RnR significantly worse than that of RotM? Because I dont get stomach drop at all on that. I don't mind inversions or speed, but am basically wondering: do G forces equal stomach drop in all cases?

The big ones I would steer clear from are Mission Space (orange) and ToT. I have never done green version of Mission Space, someone else will have to chime in.

RnR just goes at an intense speed fast. Personally, I don't feel that stomach drop on RnR. :confused3 Same with Everest. If you can do a regular roller coaster I think you should be ok.

I got them on both RnR and Everest. I will never ride RnR again. Heck - it took me 10 years to get on another coaster after that one. LOL. I was literally shaking when I got off that one in 2006. :crazy2: I got dizzy after Everest so not sure I will do that one again either but it wasn't as bad as RnR.

I don’t feel a drop on RNRC, but I don’t like the launch at all. I typically do it once per trip though.

For reference, I don’t like the drop on Splash Mountain, but I’m fine with Mummy, Space Mountain, Hagrids, and Everest.

The big “drop” in Everest is backwards. That’s why it doesn’t bother me. However, there’s a big G feeling going backwards and curving for a bit. I can do Everest over and over though.

Mission Space Orange has no feeling of drops. It has an intense push into your seat though. I can do it over and over too. It’s usually only a problem for people with motion simulator issues.

Not sure what RotM is.

I don't think EE is more intense than Hagrids/Space Mountain really so I think you will be okay. EE its just good to know in advance there will be a backwards part. I dislike ToT for the drop sensation you seem to be citing, though mentally knowing its a pulling action helps me a bit.

Mission Space - even green - between the enclosed space and simulator actions - made me nauseous and I honestly can't remember the intensity of the ride because I was so sick! Never done RNRC - so can't comment.

Mission Space orange gives me a headache, green is okay for me.

ToT definitely gives you the stomach drop feeling, it is a free fall attraction similar to Dr Doom's Fearfall. On ToT I actually felt that I was not in my seat anymore, so I don't ride it anymore.

RnRC doesn't give me a drop in my stomach feeling, it's a very smooth rollercoaster. It has a fast acceleration at the beginning, but that's more of a pressed to your seat feeling than a dropping sensation.

Test Track (Epcot) may be something you would enjoy, too. No drops, or up and down parts, just speed.

I am a huge drop chicken and avoid Splash and ToT but I love RnRC - the launch at the beginning doesn't give me that feeling at all, nor do any other parts of the ride. I've been too scared to try Mummy and EE for reference.

I don’t feel a drop on RNRC, but I don’t like the launch at all. I typically do it once per trip though.

For reference, I don’t like the drop on Splash Mountain, but I’m fine with Mummy, Space Mountain, Hagrids, and Everest.

The big “drop” in Everest is backwards. That’s why it doesn’t bother me. However, there’s a big G feeling going backwards and curving for a bit. I can do Everest over and over though.

Mission Space Orange has no feeling of drops. It has an intense push into your seat though. I can do it over and over too. It’s usually only a problem for people with motion simulator issues.

Not sure what RotM is.
Revenge of the Mummy!

I am a huge drop chicken and avoid Splash and ToT but I love RnRC - the launch at the beginning doesn't give me that feeling at all, nor do any other parts of the ride. I've been too scared to try Mummy and EE for reference.
Mummy is not even remotely as intense as RnRC. I'd say the launch on RnRC is more intense than any part of EE, but EE has intense parts that last a bit longer and RNRC is mostly mild after the launch. Though all of these rides are very mild to me, so I may not be the best judge haha.

RNRC's launch takes my breath away. I don't like that feeling.

I rode TOT when it first opened and there were less restraints. I completely flew out of my seat (ok, not completely, but you get the idea). I haven't been on it since.

I'm good with all other Disney rides. SM is one of my favorite. I don't feel that drop at all.

Hi all,

I'm making my solo trip out to Disney at the end of September that got postponed in March, and am a ride wimp. I can do moderate thrill rides (Mummy, Space Mountain, Hagrids), but very much dislike the stomach drop/ not being able to breath feeling of specifically drops. I've heard the launch at RnR gave that same feeling, which is dissapointing, because I was excited to try that, and would like to expand my horizons.

My question is, how does the intense part of rides like RnR, Mission: Space, and Everest compare to the rides I mentioned? Is the launch on RnR significantly worse than that of RotM? Because I dont get stomach drop at all on that. I don't mind inversions or speed, but am basically wondering: do G forces equal stomach drop in all cases?
If you can do the Universal rides and Space you can do anything at Disney. Compared to the extreme offerings of other theme parks, the attractions are all moderate in intensity.

If you had said you are uncomfortable on those rides, I would have a different reply, but just go do them all and enjoy yourself.

The big ones I would steer clear from are Mission Space (orange) and ToT. I have never done green version of Mission Space, someone else will have to chime in.

RnR just goes at an intense speed fast. Personally, I don't feel that stomach drop on RnR. :confused3 Same with Everest. If you can do a regular roller coaster I think you should be ok.

Is Mission Space Orange anything like a more intense version of those rides at amusement parks that spin you around so fast that you stick to the walls? Know what im talking about?

If you can do the Universal rides and Space you can do anything at Disney. Compared to the extreme offerings of other theme parks, the attractions are all moderate in intensity.

If you had said you are uncomfortable on those rides, I would have a different reply, but just go do them all and enjoy yourself.
Don't get me wrong- you couldn't pay me to do Hulk or Rip Ride (although I'd like to work up to it), but anything else (besides Jurrasic Park and Dudley Do-Rights) are loads of fun. I love thrills, which is why I'd like to try some of these, and I even enjoy a small stomach drop, but the prolonged feeling of not being able to breath/ dropping freaks me out.

Is Mission Space Orange anything like a more intense version of those rides at amusement parks that spin you around so fast that you stick to the walls? Know what im talking about?

Technically yes; however, you don't feel or even know you are spinning, unless you are one of the unfortunate individuals with motion simulator issues. If you can ride Forbidden Journey, then you don't have the issue.

I can relate, here is my recommendation divided into ride and do not ride:

DO NOT RIDE:
Expedition Everest - Large drop + backwards helix in the dark with heavy G-forces
RnR - In the dark with multiple drops + high speed launch + an inversion (ride goes upside down)
ToT - Multiple vertical drops due to nature of falling elevator, a NIGHTMARE for anyone who dislikes drops!
Mission Space ORANGE - No drops but heavy G-forces created by spinning motion of centrifuge

OK TO RIDE:
Splash Mountain - One large drop but it is outdoors and manageable, less intense than Space Mountain
Mission Space GREEN - Capsule is stationary other than mild movement, centrifuge does NOT spin.
Space Mountain - I believe you stated you already rode this one.
BTMR - Outdoors and very mild drops, significantly less intense than all others listed above.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Yes, but I'd definitely say more intense. You are in a centrifuge and feel the strong G forces from taking off. Lots of pressure. But add in the video screen and darkness that can really disorientate people and give them queasiness.

I can relate, here is my recommendation divided into ride and do not ride:

DO NOT RIDE:
Expedition Everest - Large drop + backwards helix in the dark with heavy G-forces
RnR - In the dark with multiple drops + high speed launch + an inversion (ride goes upside down)
ToT - Multiple vertical drops due to nature of falling elevator, a NIGHTMARE for anyone who dislikes drops!
Mission Space ORANGE - No drops but heavy G-forces created by spinning motion of centrifuge

OK TO RIDE:
Splash Mountain - One large drop but it is outdoors and manageable, less intense than Space Mountain
Mission Space GREEN - Capsule is stationary other than mild movement, centrifuge does NOT spin.
Space Mountain - I believe you stated you already rode this one.
BTMR - Outdoors and very mild drops, significantly less intense than all others listed above.

Hope this helps!

Sorry but I’d like to disagree with you on Splash - the little drop inside in the dark is worse than anything on Space Mountain, and the big drop has literally given me a recurring nightmare for the past several years (which I hope once I brave a ride on again next week will go away.) If you don’t LIKE the stomach drop feeling, avoid Splash and ToT. I can’t speak for EE but all the other rides are totally fine. OP and I seem to have the same drop sensibilities - little stomach flips are fun, big drops are too intense.

Mission Space doesn't have a "drop" feeling, even for orange. It does have g-forces against your chest but not that 'stomach falling' feeling. I don't recall it being bad on EE - a bit of backwards and standard moderate roller coaster. If you can do Hagrids - which does have an actual drop (that I'm kind of dreading for our first trip back because I hate that feeling!) - and Space Mountain, then EE should definitely be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter