Ride "equivalency"?

queenmum2

Mouseketeer
I hope someone can help me. We are frequenters at WDW and will be spending 2 days this trip at Universal parks. My son is a very squeamish rider. He cannot tolerate big drops, etc. I've been on some of the rides at Universal and IoA, but am having difficulty remembering which he "could" go on and which he would have trouble with.

I know, right off the bat, that Rip Ride Rockit will be a great big "no" and I'm figuring Hulk will be too (I didn't ride either of them when I went before).

I do remember that the Bilge Rat ride is almost identical to Kali River Rapids at WDW. He doesn't have trouble with Kali, so I feel like this one would be OK for him.

At MK, he LOVES LOVES LOVES Big Thunder Mountain - just fast with no big drops. Are any of the "coasters" at U/S or IoA similar in "thrill level"? Mummy?

He's ridden Rock n Roller Coaster at HS and Everest at AK but won't go back on either of them.

Jurasic park - did that have the one big drop at the end (like Splash Mountain?).

I know he'll be fine on all the V/R rides... just want to be sure he can ride some other things with the more adventurous of us.

Thanks.

Tracie

Mummy is a tamer coaster ..BUT it is in the dark and features fire effects .
Jurassic park has the very large drop at the end.
Hulk, Dragon Challenge and Rip ride rocket are very serious intense coasters.If he didn't like Rockin roller coaster or Everest, he probably will not like the 3 big ones at Uni
The flight of the Hippogriff and Woody Woodpecker coasters are similar to the old Goofys Barnstormer at MK

Glad we get FOTL for Hippogriff because I stood in line for 40 minutes for it and was really disappointed in how short it was. Definitely an "easy" coaster. Didn't do Woody Woodpecker, though.

I know he won't have trouble with the dark or fire of Mummy - just couldn't remember if it had big drops. Thanks for the info!

Tracie

The simulator rides should mostly be good. Simpsons might be the exception as it does have simulated drops as part of it.

The simulator rides should mostly be good. Simpsons might be the exception as it does have simulated drops as part of it.

I think he'll be fine with all the V/R simulator rides. He loves Star Tours. I am the one who has problems with THOSE, but I've found a fix: I close one eye when I start getting nauseated and voila! All better!

If he didn't like Everest he might not like Mummy, both my kids 6 and 10 like the Mummy, they felt it was the best ride they got on at Universal. It is a dark ride and has both backwards and forward sections and flame effects.

Didn't get on any of the big coasters since my kids don't like looping or huge drop coasters.

Neither of my kids had problems with Gringotts (although my son caused the ride to go 101 for about 10 minutes due to issues at loading.)

Except for the big coasters most of the indoor thrill rides at Universal are combination roller coaster/simulator/3d type rides there are no real equivalent at Disney. Think a wild Peter Pan ride with 3/4D effects. In effect you are suspended from a track (or on a track in Gringotts case), going round wild turns and things like that from 3d screen to 3d screen.

MiB - similar to Buzz Lightyear, including a little spinning
Mummy - indoor coaster lots of effects, similar to Everest in that backwards and forwards
Transformers/Spiderman - 3/4D suspended ride to some spinning (wouldn't be surprised if both these rides followed same exact track model)
Simpsons - simulator in front of a big screen
ET - think Peter Pan just on bikes instead of Pirate Ship
Jurassic Park - Splash Mountain with dinosaurs
Doctor Doom Free-fall - Similar to ToT without the Twilight Zone section
Gringotts - indoor coaster 3/4D
Older HP ride - hard to explain, in a 4 person chair that gets turned lots of different ways, not 3d but go screen to screen and see some models of things like spiders

The Mummy is much more intense than Big Thunder. It would be closer to Everest intensity-wise. I have a son who likes Big Thunder, and tried Mummy once but hated it, and was quite angry with mom for describing it as a "mild" coaster.

The Mummy is much more intense than Big Thunder. It would be closer to Everest intensity-wise. I have a son who likes Big Thunder, and tried Mummy once but hated it, and was quite angry with mom for describing it as a "mild" coaster.

I guess the others of us can ride it first and evaluate. I honestly don't understand his issue with Everest because the "drop" doesn't really feel like a big drop. And with RnR - it is only the take-off that keeps him off the ride. The "g-forces".

I guess we'll just have to check it out and then report to him whether or not he would like it.

BTW - he is 17 years old! Had his first bad experience at Sea World (Atlantis) when he was 6 and it has ruined his theme park experience ever since! At least he'll try some - for years he wouldn't do Big Thunder but now he counts it as one of his favorites.

Forgot to mention one ride that I will never get on again. The Duddle Dooright (sp?) water flume ride. It looks a lot like Splash Mountain or other water flume rides the only exception is that you WILL get SOAKED. Unlike most water rides that allow you to keep your feet dry so you aren't walking in wet shoes all day, even your shoes get soaked. It's not like Splash Mountain where depending on where you sit you get a wet shirt or pants that usually dry out a couple hours later, this is all day soaked. Not even sure ponchos totally help.

The only way I will get on this again is if I am wearing flip-flops, a bathing suit and one of those quick-dry shirts.

Forgot to mention one ride that I will never get on again. The Duddle Dooright (sp?) water flume ride. It looks a lot like Splash Mountain or other water flume rides the only exception is that you WILL get SOAKED. Unlike most water rides that allow you to keep your feet dry so you aren't walking in wet shoes all day, even your shoes get soaked. It's not like Splash Mountain where depending on where you sit you get a wet shirt or pants that usually dry out a couple hours later, this is all day soaked. Not even sure ponchos totally help.

The only way I will get on this again is if I am wearing flip-flops, a bathing suit and one of those quick-dry shirts.

We got soaked on the Popeye ride. Even covered in ponchos, we got totally soaked. DH doesn't like to go on wet rides - has to be dragged onto Kali. I figure we can do this and head right back to the hotel to change if necessary.

My DS is 15 and hates roller-coasters. He loves the simulator rides like Transformers, Spiderman, & Forbidden Journey. He says the Mummy and Hippogriff coasters weren't that bad, but he wouldn't want to ride them again. So those may work for your son if he's ok with small coasters. He is going to give Gringotts a try because he loves Harry Potter so much. He's hoping it has a more simulator feeling than the Mummy. He says the simulator rides don't bother him because there is so much distraction in the ride. He could ride them over and over again without getting sick. He also says all the water rides were fine, but he wouldn't want to ride the Jurassic Park or Rip Saw Falls multiple times.

My DS8 thought Mummy was very similar to RRC at Disney because it was in the dark and there is a part with fast acceleration. There are two backward parts- one similar to Everest- but he did it twice with us.

Jurassic Park water ride similar to Splash with a bigger drop and scarier backstory.

Gringotts has no big drops- just tilted forward at the beginning but the drop is not big.

The Flight of the Hippograff was in between the Barnstormer/Big Thunder Mountain.

My DS8 thought Mummy was very similar to RRC at Disney because it was in the dark and there is a part with fast acceleration. There are two backward parts- one similar to Everest- but he did it twice with us.

I think you're combining or confusing the Mummy in Florida with the Mummy in California. The Mummy in Florida has 1 short backwards section. The Mummy in California has a longer backwards section similar to Everest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter